Welcome to the APBWeb.
    SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

New Streamlights - First Impressions

I just picked up 3 new streamlights: a PT2L, a PT2AA, and a polytac LED. I've screwed with them for the last few days including one patrol shift and one training day on the range.

I've got a pretty good mix of surefire and streamlight, nothing terribly high-end. For my job as a patrol cop on our part-time tac team, they have always done me well. No failures of any kind except the lamps of some of the surefires mounted on weapons (pre-LED).

First, the PT lights. As you have likely surmised, the PT2L takes the 123 batteries, and the PT2AA takes AAs. We have both battery types in inventory at my PD, so both are free for me. The '2' after the PT means it takes 2 batteries. There is a smaller version of each that takes only 1 and is even smaller. They would get lost in my largish hands.

The PT series Streamlights are tiny. As in almost too small tiny. I'm used to the 6P/G2 size on the small end, and the polytac is almost exactly the same size. These PT lights are MUCH smaller. Like drop it in your cargo pocket and lose it small. Initially they seem almost too small - but I may get used to it. Both came with a cheap belt pouch, and they both have a pocket/belt clip on them that seem very sturdy.

Here's a pic of the PT2AA.

The PT2L is maybe an inch shorter than this one, and just slightly larger around - nowhere near as large as the 6P or Polytac size. It is incredible how small and light they have made these, and I have some minor concerns about their ability to weather my fat ass sitting on them or getting beaten around in a pocket. Time will tell, I guess.

The tail cap switch is recessed, so AD's are less likely.

Push a little for momentary on in the brightest mode, double tap for strobe (the kids have had a ball with this and ceiling fans), and triple tap for low setting. A little more pressure is constant on in whichever mode you were on.

These little bastards are BRIGHT. I think 180 lumens on the 2L, and slightly less on the 2AA. Good hot spot and halo, and I haven't gone through the batteries yet after almost constant fiddling over several days (among me, the kids, guys at work, and an evening at the range of training).

They haven't been abused, and they're new, so no endurance tests or long-term reliability tests. I thought about the PT2L on a rifle - talk about small and light (punny). But - finding a ring small enough would be tough. Right now they're just secondaries for work or off duty.

The Polytac LED isn't new, but it's the first one I've had. I like the switch much better than the G2. It's not the twist for constant on, but rather a clicky tailcap. It is also quite a bit brighter. I like it much better, and the price is right. I'm going to stick this Polytac in a ring and throw it on an AR to see how it holds up. It's bright as hell, but lacks the strobe and low-power mode of the newer lights. It also "feels" right in my hand. Maybe that will change when I use the others more.

Here are a few pics with all 3 of the lights, with a 6P for comparison. This helps tell the tale better.

If my giant hands can get used to them and they are durable and reliable, they might have some great little lights here. I haven't seen this amount of light throw and features in anything this small before. The price is more than fair, and if they last like the rest of the streamlights I've had, they'll be winners. I'll get back with everyone if I have any catastrophies with them or every few months if they're holding up well.
    Idiot

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That skinny one on a rifle has promise at near 200 lumens....
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    That skinny one on a rifle has promise at near 200 lumens....
    I actually think the PT2L (the 123 battery one) would be better on a rifle. The weighing nothing thing helps, and the AA model just seems a tad long.

The 2L is 3/4 of an inch in diameter for most of the length (4.5" long), and the 2AA is 5/8 of an inch along most of it's 6 inches in length. The 6P is about 5" long.
    Idiot

Thread Information