Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Revolvers?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Revolvers?

Just out of curiosity's sake, are there any departments out there that still issue revolvers as their duty weapons?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    None that I know of in MN where it's the issued weapon. There are still a couple of old salt dogs with Minneapolis PD that carry them.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    None I know of but I tell you this: I would take my S&W 686 back in a heartbeat if they would let me carry it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Seattle and KCSO have at least one guy still carrying a revolver, but I know of no agency that still issues them.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    None I know of but I tell you this: I would take my S&W 686 back in a heartbeat if they would let me carry it.
    What? Not enough bullets and too slow to reload, Jed.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    the California Department of Corrections still issues them. The local SO here issued them up until 2004 or so. Though most deputies carried a personal semi auto then.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    What? Not enough bullets and too slow to reload, Jed.
    It was dependable, I was extremely accurate with it, could reload it pretty quick, and I like the .357. I guess it's just the gun I learned on and was most comfortable with.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Bet you couldn't reload in the dark as fast as a semi. And anyway, I thought you learnt on a flintlock out in the woods!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bet you couldn't reload in the dark as fast as a semi. And anyway, I thought you learnt on a flintlock out in the woods!
    The last time an American shooter needed more than six bullets, he was doing it wrong.

I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Four guys at the SO in the county I work in still carry em. And one of them is surgical with it. He can reload from a speedloader quicker than most cops that are in the "very proficient" category of semi-auto shooting. As in, be loaded and back firing on target just as the semi-auto guy is releasing the slide.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anyone who has issues with revolvers needs to watch Jerry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSaNiQ-Wb4]YouTube - jerry miculek[/ame]
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    The last time an American shooter needed more than six bullets, he was doing it wrong.

You think? I've seen enough videos on here showing more than six being fired.

To use a speed loader you need to be able to see to align the rounds (even if briefly just as your Jerry does) and you can't do that in the dark. Just reloading by feel is far far quicker with a semi.

If revolvers are so great why doesn't everyone carry them?

I used to target shoot revolvers competitively, but I'd not like to carry one into a confrontation.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quite a few documented cases where a semi-auto goes out of battery or jams and gets the cop killed. I've not read, heard of, or been told of a similar situation with a revolver, and I study officer lethal force encounters. Modern .45 revolvers with moon clips can be reloaded as fast or faster than autos.

We have one guy left (out of 600+) who carries a wheel gun on his duty belt. I'd switch in a heartbeat if they'd let me.

In the entire documented history of the NYPD concerning shootings (since roughly 1901), there have been absolutely 0 (that's right, zero, none, zip) incidents of an issued revolver jamming during a shooting incident. Can't say the same for autos.

And even nowadays, revolvers can do things autos can't

Six for sure
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    IMHO, officers fire more now days because they have more rounds available to fire. Like Mac said, if you place the shots right, you don't need as many. And yes, using speedloaders I could load in the dark very fast with no problems. I used to practice it with my eyes closed. We also ran a stress course with instructors dumping empty brass on your open cylinder while you were trying to reload and sometimes they would make you dump your speedloader and load the rounds indiviually. Practice is the key.

I will concede that 13 extra rounds might be comforting, but I would rather have the weapon that is dependable and I am more accurate with.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Quite a few documented cases where a semi-auto goes out of battery or jams and gets the cop killed. I've not read, heard of, or been told of a similar situation with a revolver, and I study officer lethal force encounters.
    Well I remember a US incident where the officers were taught to place their empty brass in their pocket during reloads, until an officer was killed while reloading empties back into his weapon. (don't ask for exact details as I no longer work so have no access to the paper work. We used that incident as a teaching aid, when revolvers were the duty weapons).

As for the accuracy bit, I found it tends to seem more important to shoot back. Lots.

Each to their own. I did often carry a S&W revolver as a back up to my Browning, but that was discouraged when we switched to Glocks. When I say discouraged, I mean the Boss said NO.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I remember a US incident where the officers were taught to place their empty brass in their pocket during reloads, until an officer was killed while reloading empties back into his weapon. (don't ask for exact details as I no longer work so have no access to the paper work. We used that incident as a teaching aid, when revolvers were the duty weapons).

As for the accuracy bit, I found it tends to seem more important to shoot back. Lots.

Each to their own. I did often carry a S&W revolver as a back up to my Browning, but that was discouraged when we switched to Glocks. When I say discouraged, I mean the Boss said NO.
    The incident was called Newhall, and it was certainly a training failure. It changed a lot of things, including the advent of high risk stops.

I'm not anti pistol by any means, less manipulation during an extended fight is always a good thing, and modern pistols are quite reliable.

I started on a wheelgun at age 7, and by 15 I could reload it in the dark very, very fast. Aligning the speedloader is muscle memory, just like aligning a magazine without looking at it.

I would NEVER discount a professional armed with a revolver any more than I would discount a professional armed with a rifle.

As for seeing videos of Americans firing more than six, you are sure right. You'll never hear me make excuses for training failures.
    I'm your huckleberry...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I carry a Glock 22 now, and if I had my choice, I'd gladly carry a my Model 28 .357. When I started, we had Model 15s, and moved up from there. I never felt underarmed with a revolver. I can't help but notice that there is a definate difference in the way us "old dogs" fire during training exercises. I learned to fire and evaluate the threat. I knew I had 6 rounds and made sure I used them wisely. Now, it seems, that a lot of officers point and fire until they run dry. I do have to admit that having 46 rounds is a bit more comforting than 18!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My original Chief carried a Ruger Security Six. He had 4 speed loaders across his front for it. The time he killed a guy on duty though he used a 1903 springfield
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information