Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cheech Guest

Am I wrong for thinking this?

Yesterday was with a buddy and he was driving. Well he was speeding. We get pulled over. Im not naming the dept. But my friend owns a Glock. Its registered. Well he informs the officer that there is a weapon in the car. Now this is where I get pist. The officer tells him where is the weapon. My friend tells him its in the case behind his seat. Well the officer says ok slowly reach back and hand me the case. Im watching this in amazement. I dont know if Im wrong but please let me know. I dont think telling my friend to hand it to him was right. I kinda got freaked out that he asked that. What do you do when you pull someone over and they tell you their is a weapon? Im not a officer yet but I dont know If I should be criticizing someone

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I think if it's in a case and the guy offered the information, it's not as dangerous a situation. It's when the officer doesn't know what's going on and suddenly you're waving a gun in his face to show him you have one that things get ugly. What he did sounds like a respectful way to treat someone legally carrying a gun. His decision to put himself at some risk in order to avoid inconveniencing you was his choice.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    +1
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Cheech Guest
    But if someone I pulled over and again I dont mean to bash the officer because I dont have half the training he has had but I would call for a back up officer and and have the person step out for my safety. I dont know this person, Im not judging him if they have a clean record or not. He could have easily not had it in a case and say he did and come out with his gun pointed at the officer.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    It's a lot easier for you to assault me outside of the car then if I keep you sitting in the car.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Cheech Guest
    im just thinking why trust him?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    As long as he's sitting in the car, you can move out of his line of fire much faster than if he is out of the car and can run/draw/fire/take cover. The fact that your friend mentioned the gun is a step that earns him some degree of trustworthiness. The officer I'm sure had his eyes on everything going on in the car as the gun was retrieved. If things hadn't been as your friend said, you would both have been looking at HIS gun. There's some degree of risk in everything police do, and sometimes you accept a little more to keep the time and manpower required at a reasonable level. That's a personal decision though. If you wanted to call for backup, etc. you could.

Verified LEO
    The gun was in a case, he told the officer he had it. Had the gun not been in a case or the officer spied it and not been told, that would be different. I don't sweat it when a CCW holder tells me he's armed and shows me his papers. That guy isn't going to be dangerous. It's the guy who says nothing that will kill you.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I was watching Cops the other night (yeah yeah, I watch it) and a guy gets stopped for some reason I can't remember. Turns out he's suspended, so the officer asks him to get out of the car. The guy has to climb out his window because his door doesn't work, then the officer starts to pat him down, and finds a handgun in his waistband. Could have gone real bad real fast if that kid was willing to shoot a cop. Seeing how simple it would have been for him to draw the gun from his waistband and pop the officer behind him made my hands sweat.

Verified LEO
    If somebody wants to kill you, they will. You can take some precautions, but the guy out to kill you or some other cop is going to do it.

When I was in the academy, we were supposed to be learning how to do routine traffic stops, etc. They never indicated there would be anything else involved. When we walked up to the driver (a cop from training division), he pulled up a gun from his side, pointed it at us and said "bang". That drove home the point to me. If I'm deathly afraid of getting shot, I need to apply at Safeway.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    When I was in the academy, we were supposed to be learning how to do routine traffic stops, etc. .
    Why are they teaching it to be routine?

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    If somebody wants to kill you, they will. You can take some precautions, but the guy out to kill you or some other cop is going to do it.

When I was in the academy, we were supposed to be learning how to do routine traffic stops, etc. They never indicated there would be anything else involved. When we walked up to the driver (a cop from training division), he pulled up a gun from his side, pointed it at us and said "bang". That drove home the point to me. If I'm deathly afraid of getting shot, I need to apply at Safeway.
    They did the exact same thing to us.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Quote Originally Posted by 06AccordLX
    Why are they teaching it to be routine?
    The word games

If it means all that much to you, replace the word with "standard".
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

Cheech Guest
    If somebody wants to kill you, they will. You can take some precautions,

Thats the key thing I am talking about. Why risk having someone grab hold of their weapon and hand it to me? What if it wasnt in a case? What if this person had no experience with a weapon and grabs it with his finger in the trigger. Im not applying at no safeway or anything. I can eliminate alot of danger if I would not have him grab the weapon. RDS I know you have way more knowledge than I have right now, im still wet behind the ears. i just dont want to create a scenario where I accidentally or purposely get shot. Or vice versa me having to shoot someone.

keep in mind, I just got my mind asking questions. Im applying what they are teaching me and asking questions. all comments are welcome and I thank you guys for the input.

FishTail Guest
    It might be as simple as: the law allows the cop to take a gun from someone during a stop, so he will. Sometimes legal powers get stuck into our brains so they become automatic. I dunno

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 06AccordLX
    Thats the key thing I am talking about. Why risk having someone grab hold of their weapon and hand it to me? What if it wasnt in a case?
    I'm assuming that the officer in the real scenario saw that it was in a case. If it had not have been in a case, I would have handled it differently. It's hard to give concrete statements w/o being able to assess the situation at the time. But no, I would not ask someone to hand me a weapon, if that's the question.

Cheech Guest
    It was under his seat. No visibility at all.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    These are the kinds of questions that ended with me quitting the academy. Trust your training, but use your common sense. I overanalyzed a lot of things, and ended up scaring myself out of a great career. When you pull up on someone, chances are you will use your "6th cop sense" and know if they are going to be a problem for you, and what precautions you want to take. While there are a lot of bad guys out there, the number of people who want to kill a cop are actually very small. I'm not saying drop your guard completely, but don't let fear rule your work.

Without seeing the tape I'm not going to MMQB.

However, maybe he stated it was in a case?

It also depends on the totality of the circumstances. I was not there nor did I see the tape. I can't really say what the officer should have done.

Now if this happened to me when I was working I would perform a felony stop on the guy and arrest him for possession of a firearm.
    there next to it.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    These are the kinds of questions that ended with me quitting the academy. Trust your training, but use your common sense. I overanalyzed a lot of things, and ended up scaring myself out of a great career. When you pull up on someone, chances are you will use your "6th cop sense" and know if they are going to be a problem for you, and what precautions you want to take. While there are a lot of bad guys out there, the number of people who want to kill a cop are actually very small. I'm not saying drop your guard completely, but don't let fear rule your work.
    I dont have too much fear in it. I am just thinking of how to prevent situations out there. In my opinion I think police work is just using common sense. Im not going out there scared im just thinking, What do I do if this happens? Where am I? Whats a threat? I am assessing the situations. Im thinking what can go wrong? How do I prevent that from happening?
    I want to go home at the end of the day

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information