Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Out of Shape...

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy

Out of Shape...

Ok.. This sucks.. I got word today that if we get a new Sheriff he is wanting me to go to the "Physical Fitness Instructor School" because he wants to impose some standards on the department to weed some people out. Well, the class sounds a little tough and I am getting lazy being a SRO lol.

I am the youngest and smallest at the department. I am 26, 5'4, 115lbs, and am female, so he thinks if I can make it through the class and come back and impose what I have learned we should have a good group of people working for us.

Here is the class info:

This school promises to be one of the most physically demanding schools offered by this organization. Students should arrive ready for a week of exercise & information pertinent for this subject area. Students will be expected to participate in all blocks of instruction . The students will be subjected to running the obstacle course for time, completing a wide variety of calisthenics, explosive burst training, distance runs, and the Cooper Institute Standards during the week of training. Upon successful completion of this program, the user will be able to: Identify Cardiovascular Fitness; Identify Various Types of Exercise; Identify VO2 Max; Identify Body Composition Analysis; Properly Conduct Flexibility Exercises; Advise Proper Nutrition Habits; Develop an Objective Physical Fitness Program; Identify Title VII Requirements; Identify A.D.A. Requirements; Identify E.E.O.C. Requirements; and finally, to help0 personnel from their department prepare for the EXACT STANDARDS OF THE Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy Physical Fitness Program! Students will need athletic clothing for the entire week. Sweats will be required for the dining hall. The students will be doing physical training every day and should bring plenty of PT clothing. Comfortable, broken-in running shoes cannot be overstated as a necessity for this week of training. Each student should bring a Camelback or canteen for hydration. Optional equipment includes: MP3 player or Walkman, duct tape or leggings, and Vaseline or Gold Bond is suggested.
    In case we get this new guy as Sheriff, I need to get my butt in a little better shape than what it is. Any suggestions from ANYONE would be appreciated! I'm really hoping our current Sheriff get's re-elected and I think he will (I hope he will!!!)
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Run, don't drink soda, don't drink beer, run, run, eat something besides fast food, run, run Running not only strengthened my legs, it helped my back, abs and shoulders. I used to have back problems, but once I strengthened the muscles in my back they disappeared. Plus running puts you in the frame of mind to do other things, like weights, pushups, situps. Gives you more energy. So run

I don't wanna run lol.. Do you know any good running programs? I played soccer, but that has been years ago now and I haven't ran a lot since then. I'd rather ride my bike, but hell lately I haven't wanted to do that either. I think working at the S.O. has made me lazy, either that or its cause I am getting older lol.
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    kdm, give this running program a try. I'm on it now and I've never been much of a runner but it is a great way to get started.

The Couch to 5K Running Program

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Combine that with this and a good pair of running shoes and you're good to go.

www.mapmyrun.com
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Thank Ya very much Welpe and Virginian
    In vino veritas!

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Ice cream. Lots and lots of ice cream.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Better you than me!!!! Good luck...you'll need it

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Eat well and do some weight training. It will give you some strength for running which is very good for endurance.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Put down the fork!
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I hate running, unless someone is chasing me. I'd rather swim, it's not nearly as hard on the joints. Lotsa runners pay for it when they get older via knees and hips. Swimming only affects the muscles.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I hate running, unless someone is chasing me. I'd rather swim, it's not nearly as hard on the joints. Lotsa runners pay for it when they get older via knees and hips. Swimming only affects the muscles.
    Muscles still hurt thought RDS .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Weight bearing exercise is good for maintaining bone density. Just don't overdo it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Muscles still hurt thought RDS .
    Muscles will hurt swimming or running. But swimming does no orthopedic damage that will catch up later on. I know you young guys think you're bullet proof and will live forever, but a lot of my friends aren't enjoying their retirement nearly as much because they are limited by bad backs, knees and other joints.

You mentioned once about having some problems along that line already. In your early 20's it's a bit of a bother, in your late 50's, it's a daily problem that will only get worse, surgery or not.

But you're right, the swimming will hurt just as bad. It's helpful of course if you know how to swim!

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Muscles will hurt swimming or running. But swimming does no orthopedic damage that will catch up later on. I know you young guys think you're bullet proof and will live forever, but a lot of my friends aren't enjoying their retirement nearly as much because they are limited by bad backs, knees and other joints.

You mentioned once about having some problems along that line already. In your early 20's it's a bit of a bother, in your late 50's, it's a daily problem that will only get worse, surgery or not.

But you're right, the swimming will hurt just as bad. It's helpful of course if you know how to swim!
    Good memory my retired brother. I in fact do have two titanium screws in my right knee. Its what I get for being a jock in high school .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

yoga and pilates.Nothing gets injured

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    RDS not running is not an option for me...especially if I want to join the CHP. The academies around here all require a ton of it.

I don't like running but it has to be done.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Good memory my retired brother. I in fact do have two titanium screws in my right knee. Its what I get for being a jock in high school .
    That's why I quit HS football my sophomore year. And in Texas, that's blasphemous. But I was an end because I could run. A few hits by some 200+ lb seniors made me rethink that. Every year at my school, at least one kid was fairly seriously injured (and no, we didn't wear leather helmets, they were plastic like yours..... ). I played only baseball after that.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    One other suggestion - sign up for a local charity run. That way you're basically tied down to run that distance by the time of the race. Worked for me this year. I went from being tired while walking to running 6.2 miles in 2 months.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Take it from me, SKIP THE DONUTS!!!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I hate running, does so much damage to your body. It tears my shins up. The last person that made me run, got his ass whooped when he resisted and I caught him.

Better you than me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information