Welcome to the APBWeb.
    moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

JUSTICE SERVED! From Law Enforcement Today, sorry if it is a repost.

SENTENCED: 2X COP KILLER HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY X2 of FIRST DEGREE MURDER AND HAS BEEN GIVEN TWO CONSECUTIVE LIFE SENTENCES WITH NO CHANCE OF PAROLE FOR THE CALLOUS MURDERS OF CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG POLICE OFFICERS SEAN CLARK & JEFF SHELTON. On March 31, 2007, 34 year old CMPD Officer Sean Clark and 35 year old Officer Jeff Shelton had ...responded to a domestic call in an apartment complex. At trial, a witness stated those involved were treated with "kindness and respect" by the Officers. Sean and Jeff dealt with and then cleared the call. As the Officers were leaving, they began a short dialogue with a male when all of a sudden this POS pulled out a weapon, a struggle ensued and within seconds, both Officers were critically shot in the head. Neither Officer ever had time to draw their weapon. The killer fled the scene. Sean and Jeff died the next morning. Later that day, Demetrius Antonio Montgomery was found, arrested and charged with the murders.

Once the trial began three weeks ago, it got off to a very rough start. The killer refused to answer the judge's questions, would not talk at all in fact about anything and then it was determined that after one Detective on the case had transcribed his notes, he threw the originals away. Motions were filed by the defense which resulted in Superior Judge Forrest Bridges to remove the Death Penalty as an option in sentencing.

The Investigators, crime lab techs, Prosecutors and everyone involved did an excellent job in this case. It took them less than eight hours and the Jury got this right. Prosecutors proved that this was a senseless cold-blooded murder from a man who loathed the Police. He had many prior convictions for resisting and assault on a LEO. When given the opportunity to speak prior to sentencing, this dog had nothing to say.

I would like to note that the killer's father did speak with the fathers of both our Heroes and hugs were given to one another.

Officer Sean Clark, who had 1 year on the job, left behind his beloved wife Sherri, who was pregnant with their second son and their 2 year old son Breydon along with many family members and friends.

Officer Jeff Shelton, who was a 6 year veteran to the force, left behind his beloved wife Jennifer along with many family members and friends.

Now that this stage is over, we pray that both the Clarks and the Sheltons along with the Men and Women of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg PD can find a way to move forward with some peace knowing that Justice has been served as best as it could be. We pray that from this day forward, all who knew and loved Sean and Jeff will continue to keep their memories alive by sharing the stories of HOW THESE MEN LIVED AS ONLY HEROES COULD.

GOD BLESS YOUR SOULS OUR BEAUTIFUL BROTHERS OF BLUE. WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.

After a petition was started, plans were drawn up and through the support, donations and volunteer labor of the Law Enforcement community and supporters, The OFFICER JEFF SHELTON MEMORIAL PARK was built. it is located on Officer Jeff Shelton Drive, Locust, North Carolina.

story and photo by ~Nessie~ for Law Enforcement Today

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CMPD/Pages/default.aspxSee More
    JUSTICE SERVED ... OR NOT
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    Glad justice was served. Tragic about the two LEO's. I wish their families the best.

Question, from a legal stand point why is "Detective on the case had transcribed his notes, he threw the originals away. Motions were filed by the defense which resulted in Superior Judge Forrest Bridges to remove the Death Penalty as an option in sentencing" that important?

Why are the original notes so important as to warrant a difference between life in prison vs death penalty?

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Any notes that you take during a case are discoverable by the defense attorneys. In a sense you are destroying evidence.
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A defense attorney will make it seem that without the originals there is no way to determine if the investigating officer left information out, added information in or out right lied. If I had to guess the death penalty was removed to keep the case moving forward. I doubt the defense had much of a leg to stand on but might have attempted to force a mistrial or some such. jmo
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Forrest Bridges to remove the Death Penalty as an option in sentencing.

Justice served?? possibly.Guess it is better than nothing.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Yea forget cheap bullets, they should create a new early mornign exercise video out of this guy and a bunch of folks dancing on his head. Always makes me wonder when a case is cut and dry, you have the facts, witnesses and what ever else evidence you need to show 100% fact that someone is a murderous POS who just recently took 2 people away from their family, friends and brothers/sisters for no reason yet being put to death for it gets taken off the table.

I am happy he is no longer walking the street but out of respect for the two fallen I will shut up.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Thread Information