Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries

O/R wants to know (us vs them)

O/R wants to know: do you think policing culture has an "us vs. them" mentality? Should it?
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I have nothing against most of the general population I however don't like criminals or the very arrogant those who affect the lifes of others either momentarily through their actions while drunk or driving or some other such short time or who by committing crimes such as assaults, burglary or robbery which have lasting effects on their victims.

I make no apology to anyone for being petty, mean and vindictive in prosecuting or dealing with those who don't give a though to others before some selfish action.

I will issue tickets, arrest, charge and remand to prison people who don't have regard for others when someone else might get cut a break for having a better attitude or showing some form of remorse.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I think as long as the general law abiding public understands what we mean when we say.......Us v Them. Of course everyone here understands the meaning, but we as officers of the law will stand against them at any cost to protect the innocent, the weak and anyone who needs are help.............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have no difficulty identifying the "them" as the criminal element from my perspective as opposed to law abiding citizens.However I think that the public generally view us as the "them." The public can't be a part of "us" in many respects. They haven't seen or been exposed to the things that most of us have at one time or another, whether it's extreme boredom or extreme terror or stress, all experienced in a matter of seconds. The "us vs. them" mentality is, IMO, a survival tactic that allows "us" to protect "them" while at the same time staying a part of "them."
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As I am will become one of "them" next year I think they are a bloody fine lot.

I actually think the "Us" versus "them" has almost become more of of a question of the lower ranks against the higher ranks.

"Them" (the public)would very often like us to be a bit more like "us" used to be.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    At times I see the "us vs them" as being, those who are part of the Law Enforcement familly; the officers, officers' family and the supporters vs those who fear and/or hate the police and those who are indifferent to Law Enforcement.

I'm just as opposed to those who stand in the way of officers doing their job and those who infringe on the rights of officers as the officers themselves are. I understand my role as a sheep and that I will never be a person who has any of the experiences of the Law Enforcement family. All I can do is offer my support.

I don't see the "us vs them" designation as negative even when it's used to refer to officers vs those who have never worn the uniform.

I hope that made sense. If not, it's the meds.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I think generally the public doesn't have an "us vs them" mentality towards us. And even among the members of the general public that do have that mentality, I think the majority of them see us as a "necessary evil" (in their eyes) rather than outright enemies. Even if they don't like us, a lot of them, I think, understand we're needed.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I actually think that it's society that has an "us vs them" mentality.

Let me quote Grossman:

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
    I can't socialize with citizens without hearing about some bad cop that gave them a ticket once. I'm introduced by my profession. People don't like me because of the job I do. They are quick to judge my actions and tell me how to do my job without any actual idea of the rules and laws I must follow.

Eventually I only socialized with cops because it was the citizen who didn't want me at their party. They made that clear in how I was treated.

It's not me who has withdrawn from society, it's society that has excluded me, the cop.

It is a rare citizen who wants to socialize with cops. That's what's special about this site. But generally, day to day, most people may appreciate the job I do, but they don't want me around at all reminding them why I'm necessary.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

Let me quote Grossman:

I can't socialize with citizens without hearing about some bad cop that gave them a ticket once. I'm introduced by my profession. People don't like me because of the job I do. They are quick to judge my actions and tell me how to do my job without any actual idea of the rules and laws I must follow.

Eventually I only socialized with cops because it was the citizen who didn't want me at their party. They made that clear in how I was treated.

It's not me who has withdrawn from society, it's society that has excluded me, the cop.

It is a rare citizen who wants to socialize with cops. That's what's special about this site. But generally, day to day, most people may appreciate the job I do, but they don't want me around at all reminding them why I'm necessary.
    +63478
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO

Let me quote Grossman:

I agree. I'm very tired of the "this ass gave me a ticket once.. but you wouldnt do that". People want to socialize with a cop when it benefits them, or when they want to show their second cousin twice removed baby's momma's best friend that they are "friends" with a cop. I hate being introduced by profession and then a "watch what you say", or something of the like. I socialize with people less as a result.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Let me quote Grossman:

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I think it depends on who you mean by "them". Is the "them" the general public or the bad guys? I think it mainly depends, though, on the neighborhood (and particular person therein) that you are in. Some neighborhoods (usually with higher income and lower crime rates) actually appreciate and like the police. Whereas other nieghborhoods (usually with the lower income and higher crime rates) aren't big fans of the police, or are just indifferent and uncooperative. That being said, I have had people who live in $500,000 homes be jerks, and people in section 8 housing hand me a bottle of water on a hot day.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I love civilians , I would even be willing to die for most of them but I can't stand being around most in a social setting. Does that make any sense to anybody else
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information