Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back Problems

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Back Problems

So my back is starting to cause me pain. Sleeping on an air mattress while waiting for my furniture to catch up to my move is killing me. I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor today. I have used them in the past with great success just overcoming the normal aches and pains.

Since this is a new chiropractor for me and it's been years since I had a back x-ray, I got one as part of my appointment today. He went to check out the developed films and I heard the nurse gasp in shock. That can't be good.

Turns out I have some damaged disks. Nothing serious right now but there's some long term damage from wearing duty belts and sitting in Crown Vics.

Crap.

I'm starting some vigorous therapy to help fix things as best I can.

In the meantime I've ordered my external carrier. We can wear external vest carriers. That will off load some of the weight on my belt. It also allows me to wear suspenders under the external carrier. That will get the weight off my hips which will be nice.

Hopefully I can keep this from getting worse.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Ouch! Hope you can nip this in the bud! A Tempur-Pedic mattress might help. Take care of yourself.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I found my salvation in inversion tables. Mine is on the way here.

I have a C5/6 disc extrusion that touches the nerve that feeds my right arm.

I spent five minutes on my brother's inversion table and felt immediate relief. My friend at work uses one after a micro-discectomy and fusion on one of his lumbar discs.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    There is nothing good about what happens to your back over the years. I have lower back problems too - it hurt for years, but a stupid 4-wheeler crash put it into the "really terrible" category. Some days I can barely walk, but those are rare. I've had to have injections in my back, and they help for months at a time.

Frankly, my heavy tac vest is the worst thing in the world. The damned thing cripples me in very short order. My tac team rig has very little on the belt, and all kinds of really heavy shit on the vest, so I'm not so sold on the external carrier thing. I dunno - thinking out loud - maybe for the much lighter patrol load, it might help some. No plates, no bangs, much lighter armor, no M4 mags, no gas grenades or pro mask.

Hell - most of the time I think it's just that I'm getting old and I've been hard on my body. But for people who've been in LE awhile, it's almost a universal problem. So - is it the age, the gear, the sitting in cars for long periods of time . . . . . I dunno. But I would like to know if there has been any research as to whether it's more common in LE or if it's just men get back problems from working?
    Idiot

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Definitely I won't be in a tac vest. It'll have my Taser, flashlight, and a few other odds and ends for patrol. I'm thinking the suspenders underneath to help carry the belt will be the best part.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I hope you're able to get that damage repaired as quickly as possible.

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    I don't want to scare you, but according to my chiropractor (and two others) the disc issues I have today (for 24 years now), can be attributed to wearing that stupid overweight duty belt. Fifteen years in uniform in my case. You have to lighten the load around your waist. Better yet, go to plainclothes and dump that utility belt entirely. I know where you are headed and believe me, you will not like it. Lots of physical restrictions in later years. And yes, you are getting older even though you chose not to believe it. That means your back will be getting weaker with age and weight. My back injury story continues to this day, with a visit to the chiropractor once every 3-4 weeks. In fact during my last visit a young 30 something officer had just been treated. Just a fact, not a scare tactic. Oh, one final thing. I have found something that helps a great deal, but it certainly isn't cheap. I sleep on a temper-pedic mattress. The dense foam kind used by the astronauts. Just a thought.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have started to drastically lighten my duty belt. The blackhawk holster is lighter. The ASP cuffs are lighter and I only carry one pair, but grap a second pair for a cargo pocket if I think I'll need it. Nothing is on the back half of my duty belt. When I can get the money I am ordering a back defender on top of the light duty belt.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Back Defender looks great. Do you know anyone who has actually used it?

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I compression fractured 4 lower vert in a skydiving accident, I feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Ouch! Hope you can nip this in the bud! A Tempur-Pedic mattress might help. Take care of yourself.
    There are knock off memory foam matresses that are much more affordable. Mine has saved my "sleeplife"

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I found my salvation in inversion tables.
    That is giving me some cooking/grilling ideas.

Hang in there Xiphos!

Maybe send some tramadol your way?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The Back Defender looks great. Do you know anyone who has actually used it?

There was a review of it on here by a verified. I'll look it up if I get home tonight.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not in any serious pain from the injury. Right now, the air mattress is doing that. I'm a road dog though and I'm not going to give that up. So I need to find a way to prevent further back injury. No need for meds yet.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    This is making me think a lot. Xiphos, I'm praying for your treatment and recovery. I have noticed lately that I have some minor lower back pain. So far stretching and yoga have helped me get ahead of the curve but I do not know how long I will stay there because of the duty belt. Because of my stature and size the things that I wear which don't cause my-coworkers trouble get to me because I just don't have the room. I think I have to really consider what Five-0 said about lightening my duty belt. I already wear a basketweave nylon belt but still wear two set of cuffs and there is an ASP that I have never used.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to the club. I haven't tried inversion tables yet, with the great endorsement by mac, I may just do that though.

I have problems at both ends of my back. The lower from work, the upper and neck from an injury. There are times my wife can literally see me walking crooked from the pain in my back.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Definitely I won't be in a tac vest. It'll have my Taser, flashlight, and a few other odds and ends for patrol. I'm thinking the suspenders underneath to help carry the belt will be the best part.
    When I was using a tac vest, I still kept most of my stuff on my belt. Muscle memory... But I found it to be a pain 'cause stuff stuck out and got in the way. Just something to think about... Be careful where you place your gear -- and that you don't add too much weight, because the vest isn't set up as a weight bearing unit.

(Maybe that's a product to develop...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Several people here use this:

Comfort Panel
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Back Defender ordered. Thanks for the tip.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Back Defender ordered. Thanks for the tip.

Excellent. Another review in the works.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I can recommend getting sports massage therapy. It's not gentle but it does a lot to help the muscles support your frame better. I screwed up my back as a teen (horseback riding accident) and my LMT and Chiropractor keep me mobile.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information