Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    01nhra Guest

    Memphis, TN question

    Hey guys im new to the site. Im a LEO from Philadelphia. I have been working for the department for almost 3 years now. I am thinking about moving and have been doing research on different areas and I have been leaning towards Memphis for a few reasons. I just want to get some feedback from the officers for the Memphis police department of anyone in the area really.

    To the officers, what is the department like? I know people have said morale is low and there is a lot of politicing and bad govt/city issues but again im from Philadelphia so none of that really surprises or bothers me. I just want to know about the job, is it really buys/bad/fun? I want to go somewhere where i will be running around busy and have a lot of fun doing it. I love Phila because it is busy and keeps me on my toes, i dont want to go somewhere where there is no action.

    And to the civilians (cops too) what is the Shelby county area like? I know you ahve to live in Shelby county to be an officer in Memphis. I have been looking at houses in germantown, arlington etc and really likje some of them. I like being in an area where my neighbors are close by and there are malls, drug stores, pizza shops etc within a few minutes driving. I dont want to have to drive 30-45 minutes to get to places ( I guess thats the city Phila in me).

    Looking for an area that has a lot of kids, good schooling and a friendly environment (especially towards" Northerners")

    Thanks guys and stay safe

  2. #2
    luckyme's Avatar
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-11-08
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    603594
    I don't know anything about Memphis PD, but I've heard that the SO up there is a good place.

  3. #3
    01nhra Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I don't know anything about Memphis PD, but I've heard that the SO up there is a good place.
    SO= Sherrifs Office?

  4. #4
    luckyme's Avatar
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-11-08
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    603594
    Yeah. The sheriff up there, Mark Luttrell just got national sheriff of the year and taught a leadership class locally. He's supposed to be a real good guy.

  5. #5
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,336
    Rep Power
    7688650
    If you want to add big adventure to your move and be a cop in one of the most interesting places in the country, send me a PM.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  6. #6
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357004
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    If you want to add big adventure to your move and be a cop in one of the most interesting places in the country, send me a PM.
    Yeah, Rumor has it this guy doesn't like heat and humidity.

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  7. #7
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    4546390
    We have several verified members from Memphis. You should get answers soon.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  8. #8
    01nhra Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    If you want to add big adventure to your move and be a cop in one of the most interesting places in the country, send me a PM.
    Sending it after i reply to jack down below lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Yeah, Rumor has it this guy doesn't like heat and humidity.
    Ok what i meant was....if the job is right i dont mind the heat at all...just want to get somewhere exciting and that i will want to wake up and actually love going to work like i do now. So bring on the HEAT! Lol

  9. #9
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,047
    Rep Power
    6232607
    Just out of curiosity, if you love your job now, why do you want to leave? I guess I don't quite get it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  10. #10
    01nhra Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you love your job now, why do you want to leave? I guess I don't quite get it.
    i do love my job i just want to get out of this city for personal reasons....in a nut shell i have been stabbed in the back by a few "close" friends/family members and i have to see them everyday. Also I am going to have to be selling my house which i LOVE for other reasons. I know cost of living/house prices are a lot lower other places so i started looking. For 200k i can get a nice big 4br 4bath house with a big yard down south where as here my house was 199 and is nice but its 3 beds 2 baths and the bedrooms are small. And you would have to pay upwards of 300+ for a house here in which im looking to get.

    Basically thats it. So i started looking at big cities with high crime and Memphis jumped out and said lol

  11. #11
    121Traffic's Avatar
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-09-06
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,547
    Rep Power
    6332978
    I don't work in the City of Denver, but my agency (which is a lot smaller), shares their border to the NE. From what I know of Denver, it doesn't get a lot of cred for being a "rough" city, but it definitely has its areas of real problems, and depending on where you work, you're working a lot of gang and violent crime stuff. Calls for service-wise, they are no different than any other big city. Sure, you have your slow times, but for the vast majority of the time, you're call-driven and busy. If you're working in the downtown District, weekends are out of control.

    They have six geographical divisions, called Districts, that they work out of. There's evey special unit you can think of...gang unit, K9, Special Crimes, Detectives, Fugitive location, air support, etc. I think they're around 1500 officers total.

    Some videos on YouTube. They're funny to me since I work in the metro area, and I'm sure the DPD guys here would roll their eyes at them, but a decent look at Denver.





    Their pay is downright pretty decent (I think they top around 70K in patrol, but I could be wrong), and their benefits are squared away. Housing is plentiful, and for your proce range, I'm sure you could find something. Suburbs are close and plentiful...your commute should not be anywhere close to an hour as long as the weather's ok. The summers are hot, but DRY which is the important part. The winters can be snowy, but nothing like the east coast or Chicago where I'm from.

    Honestly, they're going through some morale problems right now from some backlash caused by some force incidents caught on tape. 2010 was a rough year for them. I can't speak intelligently to those issues, but I'm sure one of our Denver verifieds will chime in at some point.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

  12. #12
    01nhra Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I don't work in the City of Denver, but my agency (which is a lot smaller), shares their border to the NE. From what I know of Denver, it doesn't get a lot of cred for being a "rough" city, but it definitely has its areas of real problems, and depending on where you work, you're working a lot of gang and violent crime stuff. Calls for service-wise, they are no different than any other big city. Sure, you have your slow times, but for the vast majority of the time, you're call-driven and busy. If you're working in the downtown District, weekends are out of control.

    They have six geographical divisions, called Districts, that they work out of. There's evey special unit you can think of...gang unit, K9, Special Crimes, Detectives, Fugitive location, air support, etc. I think they're around 1500 officers total.

    Some videos on YouTube. They're funny to me since I work in the metro area, and I'm sure the DPD guys here would roll their eyes at them, but a decent look at Denver.


    Their pay is downright pretty decent (I think they top around 70K in patrol, but I could be wrong), and their benefits are squared away. Housing is plentiful, and for your proce range, I'm sure you could find something. Suburbs are close and plentiful...your commute should not be anywhere close to an hour as long as the weather's ok. The summers are hot, but DRY which is the important part. The winters can be snowy, but nothing like the east coast or Chicago where I'm from.

    Honestly, they're going through some morale problems right now from some backlash caused by some force incidents caught on tape. 2010 was a rough year for them. I can't speak intelligently to those issues, but I'm sure one of our Denver verifieds will chime in at some point.
    "My fat foot got stuck on the skinny pedal" i will check it out...

    Im still waiting for Memphis people to check in here I just looked up Boston Pd as well, they start at 77k with a bachelors degree

  13. #13
    cinman1802000's Avatar
    cinman1802000 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-20-09
    Location
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    256311
    I would also be interested in info on Memphis and surrounding areas. The wife has extensive family in the area. Several times over the last few years, they have suggested we also make the move. Our boys have yet to start school & I would consider this the ideal time in our lives for the change. Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    "If everything is under control, you're just not going fast enough"---Mario Andretti

  14. #14
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,657
    Rep Power
    6822865
    I'm no expert on the area but I have heard that Memphis PD may not be a great place to work. Don't discount them but it may be beneficial to look to the outskirts.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •