Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Wanting to move

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Wanting to move

I want to move to a bigger city-at least 500,000-and am seriously considering Seattle. I know that they are on a hiring freeze right now, but I went up there in Nov. and loved it. I've heard that they are very liberal up there and it's a cop's worst nightmare dealing with the judicial system. Can someone who works in the Seattle area expand on that? They pay really well for laterals, so that would make up for a lot of BS. But I would still like some insight.
    I did talk to one officer for a few minutes, but he didn't have much time to talk. I would like to do a ride along so I could talk to someone one on one, if I get the chance. Also, I would consider one of the smaller cities around there, but I don't want to work someplace that's boring. I know Tacoma is hiring 300 or something like that.
    FYI: pay is not the main reason I'm thinking about Seattle metro area, but I'm not giving up my 10 yrs for less than $50,000, so it is important.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Sheriff's Office just laid off 28 Deputies for the first time since anyone can remember.

Seattle is frozen and there are a myriad of (mostly political) reasons why people who like to work hard choose other agencies than Seattle.

If I were going to try and lateral to Washington State, I would look at Vancouver or Tacoma.
    (Or their counties Clark and Pierce.)

Trying to own a house in King County is damn near impossible unless your wife works and makes as much or more than you do.

Next years budget puts the State something like 8 Billion dollars in the hole, and it isn't looking great for any of the cities or counties either.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    There are a lot of foreclosed homes in the Detroit area for sale, for better prices than Seattle.

"Stupid should hurt."

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    There are a lot of foreclosed homes in the Detroit area for sale, for better prices than Seattle.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Mogadishu or Detroit??

"Stupid should hurt."

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I have a nice house in Detroit for sale. It needs a little TLC but I will let it go for 500K.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I made the move to WA from CA. I now work in a rural area amd we stay pretty busy already.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Washington State Patrol

Employment Center - Washington State Patrol

Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/employment/index.htm

I went thru the Seattle PD Academy in 1979, and the WSP Academy in 1985. Two ex Detroit officers in my academy class. I'm retired from WSP, and I would do it all over again starting tomorrow. As far as "liberal" attitudes are concerned, take a moment to listen to the politicians, what comes out when the mouth moves? Who do they elect? There are 39 counties in Washington, thus 39 Prosecutors and 39 different ways of doing your job. Eastern Washington is as different from Western Washington as upstate New York from NYC, or Redding Calif. is from SFO or LAX.

Pick an area you can afford to live in. The very small PD and SO out in the sticks pays about the same as driving a turnip truck. But you get the small town life for 1/2 the pay of your big city counterparts. Troopers are paid same all over the state but WSP now offers a COLA for urban areas assignments. I was assigned to urban areas twice and got lucky for other vacancies opening elsewhere. I spent half my WSP career in non-uniform investigative positions. When I worked on a DTF, I was full time working out of a city PD or SO.

Landing a good job is a balancing act: big city = better pay, advancement, equipment, specialties, and training are excellent, working and living in an anthill, traffic-are not. .Suburbs: pay is good due to high tax base, equipment is up to date, specialties are opening. Working for a county gets you out in the fresh air. Rural : Podunk PD and the Good Ole Sheriffs do exist, some in the west, moreso in the east. The pay is low to poor, but you have a lot of freedom and opportunity to work a case from start to finish. You may have to bring your own gun and camera.

Schools, Malls, Sports etc. Schools are the first pick for a family move. If a member of your family has the need for proximity to a mall or stadium, you limit your options. If you do not like the smell of a dairy farm they are just outside the 'burbs. The east slopes of the Cascades are windy and the interior is cold as N. Dakota in winter, and hot as west Texas in summer. Try out for a few depts throughout the state. MacLean suggested Vancouver WA and I'd take that over Pierce Co /Tacoma. Ty out for Spokane PD/SO ,Yakima PD/SO, and Tri Cities next to the Hanford works. Hanford , Fort Lewis / McChord, Navy Whidbey Bangor and Bremerton are other places to work if you have a Fed Cert. Tribal jobs are all over the state. We have about 300 miles of border with Canada and 4 to 500 miles of coastline facing the Pacific.

The downside to Washington state is it is the refuge for failed California politics and re-application of their liberal ways to run other people's lives with other people's money. It sort of follows the huge real estate prices. It has moved up the Williamette Valley of Oregon, and has spread out of the computer megabucks of Redmond and Bellevue. The state has been into welfare as a growth industry for years. Oh yeah the DSHS (welfare) has their own investigative unit , but WSP takes the lead if they want a case to hold up in court. Look at State Fish and Wildlife but they may soon become Troopers, Park Rangers may be gate-keepers of petting zoos.

You will not avoid the politics. It's just relative to the amount of money, the manifold pressure of those making the noise, and how easily the s*** sandwich goes down.

CJTC gives credit for out of state peace officer ceritifications. Look at "equivalent certification". WSP does not.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Washington State Patrol

Employment Center - Washington State Patrol

Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/employment/index.htm

I went thru the Seattle PD Academy in 1979, and the WSP Academy in 1985. Two ex Detroit officers in my academy class. I'm retired from WSP, and I would do it all over again starting tomorrow. As far as "liberal" attitudes are concerned, take a moment to listen to the politicians, what comes out when the mouth moves? Who do they elect? There are 39 counties in Washington, thus 39 Prosecutors and 39 different ways of doing your job. Eastern Washington is as different from Western Washington as upstate New York from NYC, or Redding Calif. is from SFO or LAX.

Pick an area you can afford to live in. The very small PD and SO out in the sticks pays about the same as driving a turnip truck. But you get the small town life for 1/2 the pay of your big city counterparts. Troopers are paid same all over the state but WSP now offers a COLA for urban areas assignments. I was assigned to urban areas twice and got lucky for other vacancies opening elsewhere. I spent half my WSP career in non-uniform investigative positions. When I worked on a DTF, I was full time working out of a city PD or SO.

Landing a good job is a balancing act: big city = better pay, advancement, equipment, specialties, and training are excellent, working and living in an anthill, traffic-are not. .Suburbs: pay is good due to high tax base, equipment is up to date, specialties are opening. Working for a county gets you out in the fresh air. Rural : Podunk PD and the Good Ole Sheriffs do exist, some in the west, moreso in the east. The pay is low to poor, but you have a lot of freedom and opportunity to work a case from start to finish. You may have to bring your own gun and camera.

Schools, Malls, Sports etc. Schools are the first pick for a family move. If a member of your family has the need for proximity to a mall or stadium, you limit your options. If you do not like the smell of a dairy farm they are just outside the 'burbs. The east slopes of the Cascades are windy and the interior is cold as N. Dakota in winter, and hot as west Texas in summer. Try out for a few depts throughout the state. MacLean suggested Vancouver WA and I'd take that over Pierce Co /Tacoma. Ty out for Spokane PD/SO ,Yakima PD/SO, and Tri Cities next to the Hanford works. Hanford , Fort Lewis / McChord, Navy Whidbey Bangor and Bremerton are other places to work if you have a Fed Cert. Tribal jobs are all over the state. We have about 300 miles of border with Canada and 4 to 500 miles of coastline facing the Pacific.

The downside to Washington state is it is the refuge for failed California politics and re-application of their liberal ways to run other people's lives with other people's money. It sort of follows the huge real estate prices. It has moved up the Williamette Valley of Oregon, and has spread out of the computer megabucks of Redmond and Bellevue. The state has been into welfare as a growth industry for years. Oh yeah the DSHS (welfare) has their own investigative unit , but WSP takes the lead if they want a case to hold up in court. Look at State Fish and Wildlife but they may soon become Troopers, Park Rangers may be gate-keepers of petting zoos.

You will not avoid the politics. It's just relative to the amount of money, the manifold pressure of those making the noise, and how easily the s*** sandwich goes down.

CJTC gives credit for out of state peace officer ceritifications. Look at "equivalent certification". WSP does not.
    Scuse me,uhhhh,scuse me,who the hell said ANYONE from Wa.,much less the Seatlle area,is allowed to post on here right now.You do know the La.swamp mafia is the predominant group here dont you?????

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Scuse me,uhhhh,scuse me,who the hell said ANYONE from Wa.,much less the Seatlle area,is allowed to post on here right now.You do know the La.swamp mafia is the predominant group here dont you?????
    Oh, really?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for the info, guys. FYI: not moving to Detroit. Gets too damn cold!

Thread Information