Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO

Vacuum cleaner help

Our 5 year old, el cheapo Dirt Devil is not doing the job anymore. Im of the opinion that if our $50 Walmart bought Dirt Devil lasted 5 years, $10 a year of service, then I want another like it. It didn't get the floors "deep down clean", but I could live with it.

My wife doesn't agree, she wants a top of the line model. Citing the fact that now that the baby is old enough to have free roam and play on the floor, the level of clean the Dirt Devil was getting doesn't cut it anymore. I have to admit, she's right, although I'd never say so

Now, it just so happened that a Rainbow salesman knocked on our door the other day. He did a demonstration of the vacuum on our floors. I have to say, Im really impressed. It doubles as an air purifier. I also live in the desert in Colorado, very dry and dusty, and our driveway is dirt. Means a lot of dirt gets tracked in. I was amazed at how much dirt the Rainbow pulled up, even after vacuuming the same spot immediately prior with our current vacuum.

What scares me is the price tag. $2500 new, $1300 in a repossessed and completely refurbished. Kind of steep. The $2500 can be financed, the $1300 cannot. Im leaning towards a refurbished one. I was really impressed at the quality, and the air purification part. As an allergy sufferer living where I do, the dust gets to me.

So, anyone ever have a rainbow? If so, recommend it? Any other suggestions?
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you are going to drop coin on a vacuum, then look at the Dyson and Oreck as well:

Vacuum Cleaners, Air Purifiers, Floor Cleaning Products, Clean Air Products - Oreck

Dyson official site

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Our Dyson does a great job. You can get a remanufactured one under $300.

I honestly couldn't justify $1000-$2500 on a vacuum unless it cleaned the house by itself and gave your wife back rubs every night.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I was amazed at how much dirt the Rainbow pulled up, even after vacuuming the same spot immediately prior with our current vacuum.
    That demonstration never fails. There's just one problem...reserve the scenario where you're following up a $2500 Rainbow with a used brush with a $50 Dirt Devil with a new one and you'll get the same result.

Get a $300 model and another $100 worth of brushes to replace annually and you'll have cleaner floors and more green in your pocket.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My (yeah, I said my, I wear the friggin apron in this house, I swear) high dollar Eureka puked out a year ago. It did well, but I pulled out an old Orek that was handed down to me when I first moved out on my own and I think it honestly does a better job than some of these newer ones.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I was in janitorial contract management (many federal contracts) for over 11 years, and you do not need to spend $$$$ on a good vacuum.

What is wrong with the dirt devil? Does it need cleaning or maint.? I have had a dirt devil for 12 years ( got it used). We also have many floor types throughout the house. No kids here except a cat and an umbrella cockatoo. We vacuum at a minimum 4x/wk.

We had a rainbow or eureka or whatever they are called salesperson here and they did their demo. W00t, they said the frequency we vacuum made their demo faulty because the floors were already pretty dirt free. I say pooh on the fancy filter stuff, put one of those in your hvac system.

I did buy a shampooer that has a very long hand held upholstery/spot cleaner. It is a dirt devil too.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I always buy Kenmore cannisters at Sears.

They run about 7 years. The old one is in the garage now for cleaning up cars and stuff.

I'm the type that vacs neat lines into the carpet, and it keeps me happy.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Going against the grain, we have a Rainbow and are quite satisfied. Yes, it was expensive but not even close to $2500.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I love my Dyson, especially since I no longer have to spend $$ on bags like I did on my previous super-pricey (can't recall which brand) vacuum.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Going against the grain, we have a Rainbow and are quite satisfied. Yes, it was expensive but not even close to $2500.

Is that something you have to buy from a salesman?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In our case yes. We were provided as a referral from another customer. Normally I have no patience for such things but in this case we knew what it was. There are retail and repair stores however and ours came with a very decent warranty. It was pricey but what we wanted.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    My parents also have one of the $$ Rainbow's. Got it from a door to door salesperson that they knew and was really down on his luck. Haven't had any problems, got a good warranty, and it does a real good job. They've been real happy with it.

As for myself, we do the $80 - $100 wal-mart specials. They last a couple years. If I could afford it I would like to get a Dyson.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    My wife used a RUMBA, and you know, the damn thing works great. Fpr deep deep cleaning, she used a Oreck.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't be sold on the "air purifier" part... After all, you're only going to run the vacuum part of the time, right? Or is it somehow attached to your HVAC system?

As to the floor cleaning... Don't ask me. When we needed a new one, I took my wife to the store, and paid for what she picked. I'm not even sure where it's sitting now, since she and the kid have been a bit under the weather for a week. I will note that I had a good friend who was a vacuum and sewing machine salesperson for Sears; lots of the "demos" out there are gimmicks. But a $1000 plus vacuum? Better be impressive as hell...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    Rainbow's are a waste of money. They do not do any better than a dyson. Don't fall for the hype. Also tell your wife that a little dirt is good for the kid it will help build their immune system~~~

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    If you really want a rainbow check craigslist there are plenty of people dumping them ~~

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    If you really want a rainbow check craigslist there are plenty of people dumping them ~~
    Actually the salesman had a remark about those. He said that the company will not honor the warranty if it's bought third person, and it's likely to be repossessed when it's brought in for service, as most being sold third person are skip pays.

As far as the air purifier part goes, that I saw work with my own two eyes. Basically, if you take off all the attachments, it's an air purifier. It has a high (the same setting to vacuum with), and a low setting that is quiet. He opened the curtain so the sun shined on the dust and crap, and stirred up some more from the carpet, then turned it on. I have no doubts about the air purifier part.

My wife wants an Oreck. So it looks like we're going to go get an Oreck. I was thoroughly impressed with the Rainbow. I really was. I just wasn't $2500 impressed. My in-laws had one for 15 years, and it was abused, not taken care of. For $1300, if I get 15 years out of one, that's worth the money. So it's still not out of the question to buy one used. We'll see.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information