Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jcsgrl is offline Banned

Question Can people change?

Just wanna hear people's opinions on something.
    I have a penpal who's in prison for selling drugs, he tells me he's got all these plans when he gets out that he's gonna have a steady job, have an apartment, get his life in order and not go back to crime.
    I want to believe him but after taking several courses that say if a person has had several police contacts before a certain age they will be a criminal for life, which he has, and also that they have such great plans when they are in prison but when they get out they go back to their old ways, I can't really believe him.
    So, Do you think people can change?

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Some do, some don't. It's the way our brain is either working or not. My suggestion is: STAY AWAY from him. You don't know what in store, in the near future when he gets out. Sorry to say but it's not safe to be in contact with him.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

FishTail Guest
    He might. But when he gets out he'll find it hard to get a job with a felony record. And then he'll remember how much easy money he made selling drugs. Figure the rest out by yourself.

It's sad but it's reality.

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    In my experience as a C/O, and a LEO, I would say less than 5% change. The few that I have seen change, get far away from where they were convicted, get a new group of friends, and have to try everyday to stay straight, and very few can do it. I would find a new friend.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I'd say the chances are slim & none.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have almost 30 years in both Corrections and Law Enforcement, and in that time very, very few really change. Also, be sure to find out if that's what he's really in the joint for. I could cite dozens of cases when an inmate was in for something pretty serious, (sexual assault, aggravated battery, murder, etc.) and they misrepresented themselves, particularly to a member of the opposite sex. Follow Whitewolf's advice, and stay away from him.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Everybody finds Jesus in jail. They shake him off as soon as they get out almost all the time though.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    Most people in jail or prison say they are going to change in someway when they get out. If they change all of thier old friends and move away from the area that they got caught in they have a chance. If they are urine tested they stand a better chance of making it.Old habits will haunt most of them. The test is in the first 30 days of getting out. That will tell you most of what you want to know. Good luck with your penpal.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsgrl
    I have a penpal who's in prison for selling drugs, he tells me he's got all these plans when he gets out that he's gonna have a steady job, have an apartment, get his life in order and not go back to crime.
    I want to believe him but after taking several courses that say if a person has had several police contacts before a certain age they will be a criminal for life, which he has, and also that they have such great plans when they are in prison but when they get out they go back to their old ways, I can't really believe him.

So I have a few questions for you. Where does he send his letter to? How did you meet him? what are you hoping to gain by writing to this inmate?

Now As far as his chance to change. Sure he has a "CHANCE" But I also have a chance to get struck by lightning. I also have a CHANCE to hit the lotto but I am not spending $100 a day trying.

I think it is good that you have faith in this man but you need to worry about your safety.

katiemh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca
    So I have a few questions for you. Where does he send his letter to? How did you meet him? what are you hoping to gain by writing to this inmate?

Now As far as his chance to change. Sure he has a "CHANCE" But I also have a chance to get struck by lightning. I also have a CHANCE to hit the lotto but I am not spending $100 a day trying.

I think it is good that you have faith in this man but you need to worry about your safety.

I agree (with the above and everyone else).

But expanding on Reca's questions... were you friends with this person before he became your prison pen-pal or have you just recently "met" him since he's been incarcerated?

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    He sends it to my house. I stuck my name on a penpal site once. All I wanted was a penpal.

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    I've been writing to him for about 4 years. I started writing to him after he'd been incarcerated.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    IF I NEVER MAKE A POINT ON THE INTERNET PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO ME. THEY WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING WHILE THEY ARE LOCKED UP...........DONT DO IT
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Verified LEO
    I've been writing to him for about 4 years. I started writing to him after he'd been incarcerated.

So now this guy has your home address. HMMMMM

So he gets out and comes to find you. Right now he has a connection to you so naturaly he will come find you when he gets out.

If you are lonely there are many places on the internet to meet people.

My sugestion is this. If you rent MOVE. if you own your house tell the inmate you are moving and get a po box the next town over and give him the new address!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!

No he won't change.

But here is my quesion to you. Why the hell are you corresponding with a person in jail? Never trust what they say....
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Verified LEO
    Kinda funny you write to inmates but hang out in LEO sites HMMM

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Kinda funny you write to inmates but hang out in LEO sites HMMM

Yeah just a little...
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    I feel like my head is about to fall off my shoulder.

Jcsgrl, I don't frankly understand why you got a penpal with an inmate. You may have a big heart but you don't personally know their (inmates) hearts or mental states. But giving out your address is pretty scary and it never will be safe. What if you have a family? You made a bad choice of giving him your address.

There are plenty of penpals on sites. The rules on every sites stated, "Do not give out personal informations" even the address as well as the phones. Please, cease writing back and forth to your "penpal." Again I repeat, "STAY AWAY FROM HIM..." I hope you heed our warning to stay clear away from him and find a better penpal. <sigh>
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 04-26-06 at 11:02 AM.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Do people change??

HELL NO!!!!!

ONCE A SCHLUB ALWAYS A SCHLUB!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, basically I'm going to echo everything everyone else has said.

People "can" change. But, it's not likely. I've worked in corrections for 9 months, and I have seen MANY inmates come back 2, 3, 4, even 5 or more times since I've been doing this. And that's only in 9 months.

Also, they will lie. And they will lie about anything. You can ask for the time and they'll lie about that, just because.

DO NOT trust him, and do not expect him to change. Stop corresponding with him.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information