Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    K9ForLife is offline Banned

Any 25 year LEO's

Since I'm new here I apologize if this is something old. I'm approaching my 27th year in LE in a couple of months. Just wondering how many here have stayed this long. It seems most now a days are going out at 20-25 in departments around me. How many old timers are there here? I sit here typing in pain with shoulder (arthritis) and knee problems due to my many years in K9.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I got 10 years in on state retirement: 5 DOC, 1 probation, and 4 deputy. The crappy thing is that although i only have to have 25 years I have to be at least 50. I started when I was 20 so I will have to put 30 years in. Its gonna suck to see those who started after me retire before me
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I did 28 years. I still liked the job, but I got my bellyfull of the administration. When you stay long enough, the chiefs and asst chiefs are people that are either your peers or younger than you. At any rate, you knew them "back when", which makes some of their bullshit even harder to swallow.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I'll have 30 years on the job in June... I feel every day of it. As soon as my injury leave runs out, I'll be retired.

Bandit is offline Trust me, I work for the government
    Quote Originally Posted by K9ForLife
    Since I'm new here I apologize if this is something old. I'm approaching my 27th year in LE in a couple of months. Just wondering how many here have stayed this long. It seems most now a days are going out at 20-25 in departments around me. How many old timers are there here? I sit here typing in pain with shoulder (arthritis) and knee problems due to my many years in K9.
    I'll finish up my 29th year in August. Don't know how much longer I'm going to hold out. Of course, working predominantly days makes it much easier. I don't think I could handle rotating shifts any more. I still have a 16 year old at home to put through college, so if my health holds up, I'll shoot for five more years.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    My Sgt is a 25yr vet. He's took me out and shown me the ropes a few times.. He's very old school, and a true operator when it comes to this job. I respect the hell out of him.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

To the nursing home with ya!

I will have 30 years, wait that is my age, you are all a bunch of geezers!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

T202 is offline Rookie
    I retired after 25 years right to the day. Never looked back.

FishTail Guest
    I can go out at twenty at 38 yrs old with half final salary...which I won't collect til I'm 50 (I think, might be 55). Or I can stay for thirty at 48 yrs and collect right away at 2/3 final salary.

Only another 24 yrs to go then!

Bandit is offline Trust me, I work for the government
    Quote Originally Posted by beans43
    I will have 30 years, wait that is my age, you are all a bunch of geezers!
    SMART ASS!!! I already had nearly eight years on the job by the time the 21 year old babies we're hiring right now were born. Hell, their 40-45 year old moms were in middle or high school about then. What really shuts them up is when I tell them stories of the types of things I've caught girls like their moms doing back then. Kinda puts things into perspective.

I wish you well, Mr. Beano. May you be blessed with voluminous gaseous attacks so common with the consumption of this legume delicacy.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit
    SMART ASS!!! I already had nearly eight years on the job by the time the 21 year old babies we're hiring right now were born. Hell, their 40-45 year old moms were in middle or high school about then. What really shuts them up is when I tell them stories of the types of things I've caught girls like their moms doing back then. Kinda puts things into perspective.

I wish you well, Mr. Beano. May you be blessed with voluminous gaseous attacks so common with the consumption of this legume delicacy.

Just to get this straight for some of us "slow" people.. Your saying you wish he drops ass a lot?

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    See, I was going to be the smart ass and say that I was a 26 yr old deputy.. But I refrained, only to let Beans be the smartass!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    12 years of patrol/task force, 7 years as a unit sergeant, 2 years as plain clothes. 10 years as a Training Instructor.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

If you are wishing me to have gas or something, to late I have that problem everyday! In fact today has been a rather unpleasant day in that category.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    Count me in the club!

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Wink 25 Plus

I did almost 30 years on the department. Like you, things that used to work well started hurting, found it hard to stay up with the 25 year olds during our SWAT PT. Thing that got me the worst was loss of hearing. I was leading the team on a barricade suspect one night with shots fired and had a real hard time understanding everything that was going on. Figured it was time to get out before I got someone hurt because I missed something. All I can say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I could have stayed in an admistrative role but its just not the same.

Hang in there you'll know when its time.

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    27 and counting.

Although in 3 months it will be on a day to day basis!
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Eleven years in...3rd year in K-9!
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I still have a 16 year old at home to put through college, so if my health holds up, I'll shoot for five more years.
    Heh, that's why I got the magic vasectomy many moons ago.... I saw too many old guys having to stay because they had kids at home. My two were out the door and on their own well before I retired.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information