Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

2nd grade teacher reads book about gay marriage to class.

LEXINGTON, Mass. (BP)--A Massachusetts second-grade teacher is being criticized for reading a book about "gay marriage" to her students, and conservatives say it is an example of what happens when a state redefines one of society's most important institutions.

The teacher at Joseph Estabrook Elementary School in Lexington, Mass., read to her class "King & King" -- a colorful 29-page children's book in which a prince searches for a wife, only in the end to choose another prince. The story ends with the two princes "marrying" and living "happily ever after." On the last page, the princes -- now kings -- even share a kiss.

Massachusetts remains the only state with legalized "gay marriage." The school superintendent is standing behind the teacher, saying the book is another way to teach the children diversity.

"We couldn't run a public school system if every parent who feels some topic is objectionable to them for moral or religious reasons decides their child should be removed," Lexington Superintendent of Schools Paul Ash told The Boston Globe. "Lexington is committed to teaching children about the world they live in, and in Massachusetts same-sex marriage is legal."

But some parents are outraged.

"My son is only 7 years old," Lexington parent Robin Wirthlin told the newspaper. "By presenting this kind of issue at such a young age, they're trying to indoctrinate our children. They're intentionally presenting this as a norm, and it's not a value that our family supports."

Joseph Estabrook School has about 450 students in kindergarten through fifth grade.

Kris Mineau, president of the conservative Massachusetts Family Institute, said the incident should serve as a wake-up call to those who are indifferent to "gay marriage" and believe it won't affect society.

"We have always maintained that the very first level of impact would be in the public school system, where children would be taught morals that are counter to the morals that parents want them to be taught," he told Baptist Press. "Taxpayer money should never be used to put children at odds with their parents.

"If I have children in my family, same-sex marriage immediately affects me."

Mineau said he has "some anecdotal evidence" that other Massachusetts schools are teaching children about "gay marriage," although the Lexington school, he said, has been at the top of the list. Early last year the same school was the source of another controversy after giving kindergarten students a "diversity book bag" that included a children's book titled "Who's In a Family," which features illustrations of homosexual parents.

"There is no doubt that the Lexington school officials have an agenda, and that agenda is to indoctrinate children into homosexuality and same-sex marriage," said Mineau, who is leading an effort to amend the state constitution and reverse the state's "gay marriage" law. "Needless to say, parents in Lexington are aroused over this issue, and they should be."

One conservative Massachusetts organization, the Parents Right Coalition, is fighting for a state bill that would allow parents to opt their children out of discussions over homosexuality.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

One conservative Massachusetts organization, the Parents Right Coalition, is fighting for a state bill that would allow parents to opt their children out of discussions over homosexuality.
    1) It is nothing that needs to be taught in school.

2) It sure as hell shouldn't be taught to 2nd graders.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Yeah I agree... Teach it when they get alittle older to understand the subject matter.

There's nothing to teach. It's a family issue that should be dealt with between parents and children not the conglomerated school district and the children. I don't care if they are in 2nd grade or seniors in High School.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It wasn't that long ago that people would have had this reaction to illustrations of mixed-race marriages.

Just something to think about.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Signal_W Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    It wasn't that long ago that people would have had this reaction to illustrations of mixed-race marriages.

Just something to think about.
    That is true to a degree. But I don't think you can compare inter-racial marriages to homo-sexuality.

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    I'm not even gonna get in the middle of this. It's one of those issues that very few people will change their stance on.

Well I suppose the purpose of a forum is to get into the "middle" of things. Otherwise why post? Do you think it is ok what the teacher did?
    Theodore Roosevelt

Signal_W Guest
    I don't really have a problem with it, if it was done in an objective manner. However, something tells me she had an agenda.

FishTail Guest
    A teacher? From MA? Have an agenda? Never!

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsgrl
    I'm not even gonna get in the middle of this. It's one of those issues that very few people will change their stance on.
    So you approve of teaching this to second graders?

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    No, that's a little young

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Well I suppose the purpose of a forum is to get into the "middle" of things. Otherwise why post? Do you think it is ok what the teacher did?
    I just meant I wasn't going to argue whether or not homosexuality is natural or not. I do think kids should learn about it, but not as young as 2nd grade maybe 4th

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    no matter what, 2nd grade is no place to teach any material dealing with sex. jr high is a bit closer to being able to understand. if grade school kids know about stuff like that, possibly we need to know who is telling them.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    How could the subject of gay marriage pertain to education material appropriate for that age level?

Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Oh my goodness! You can't say the pledge........you can't talk about God........God forbid that you pray........but it's ok to talk to a group of 7 year old children about a guy getting his poop pushed in! When does it end?

Sorry if I offended you!
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I don't know that kids need to learn about homosexuality at any age. If they are gay, they know it. I have a cousin who's queer as a three dollar bill and I knew that when I was 7 and he was 5. I didn't know what homosexual was back then, but I knew Bobby wasn't ever gonna get married..... Nobody read him any stories about gay marriage when he was in school and he did okay.

I was a single male parent with two daughters when they hit puberty. I had to go through the "time of the month" stuff with them, there was no mom to do it. Yeah, it was scary as hell, but I got some books from the library on it that were age appropriate and we sat and talked about. Surprisingly enough, we all lived through it. I also told them about sex, etc. It wasn't something I looked forward to, but being a parent isn't all sunglasses and autographs.

And that's the problem with a lot of parents. They don't want to do the hard stuff, like telling teenager "no" and talking to them about uncomfortable subjects. It's easier just to let schools do it. I wasn't that way, my daughters and I had some battle royals, but I slept better at night and they turned out to be pretty good adults. And we have a wonderful relationship today. Schools are for educating kids, not raising them.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sarge, if more people actually realized they'd have to raise their kids, fewer people would have them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Retdetsgt, gotta love ya for this. You did a great job as a parent.

If someone teaches my kids about that stuff, I won't let them near the books. No thanks. To all teachers, you're teaching our kids that it's okay for them to learn to be homosexuals. Lemme tell ya, teachers, my kids are straight, period. Need I say more?
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Thread Information