Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Drugs in Disguise

What is being marketed and sold as ‘bath salts’ in neighborhood convenience stores, smoke shops and online is actually a dangerous, stimulant drug. The product packaging reads, “Not for human consumption,” but human consumption, mainly by teens, is exactly what is occurring. and they are ending up in emergency rooms as a result of snorting, smoking, injecting and even eating this synthetic substance.
    These particular ‘bath salts’ contain the man-made chemicals mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) and go by such names as "Red Dove," "Blue Silk," "Zoom," "Bloom," "Cloud Nine," "Ocean Snow," "Lunar Wave," "Vanilla Sky," "Ivory Wave," "White Lightning," "Scarface" and "Hurricane Charlie." They are currently legal in most states; with the exception of Florida, Louisiana and North Dakota, who have recently enacted legislation to classify ‘bath salts’ as controlled substances, making it illegal to sell, distribute or possess them. Federal legislation is also in the works, as Senator Charles Schumer of New York announced plans to introduce a ban on ‘bath salts’ nationwide. Sen. Schumer shared his concern in a CBS interview, "By calling them bath salts, they're trying to deliberately mislead people into thinking they are an everyday product," adding that the drugs they contain are, "nothing more than deadly narcotics."
    These substances, which are not detectable in drug screens, are said to produce a high similar to methamphetamine and cocaine. According to reports by poison control centers around the nation, bath salts are causing users to experience irregular heartbeat, hypertension, vasoconstriction, sweating, sleep deprivation, panic attacks, psychosis, agitation, dry mouth and suicidal thoughts

Source: bath salts

Has anyone run into this yet? I suspect it's coming in my area with the growing popularity of K2 and Spice.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What will they think of next....

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I don't know that I've ever even encountered that kind of bath salts. A scoop of Epsom salts and a couple drops of essential oil is all you really need. Do you think the formulation was intentionally made to be abused, or is it something someone said "Hey, let's try snorting this stuff, since I'm out of everything else"?

*Edit. Nevermind, they come packaged in tiny pouches no bigger than tea bags. It's intentional. Where the hell are they coming from??
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Have any of you guys personally encountered the substance or people under the influence of them?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We deal with someone at least once a week who are under the influence of "plant food" which is mephedrone. Sounds like it's a similar item.

It's sold in head shops and tobacco stores, labeled "plant food" and "not for human consumption." Everyone is snorting it around here. It sends them on a pretty wild trip. The last guy I dealt with (about 4 nights ago) was rolling around in his underwear in a snow bank begging us not to shoot him. Prior to that he destroyed everything in his house. So...yeah, it's not good. It looks just like cocaine, or any other white powder, and it tests positive for cocaine with a Nik wipe.

Our PD won't send items to the state for lab analysis without criminal charges filed, and the county attorney won't charge anyone with cocaine possession if they claim it's "plant food" because mephedrone isn't illegal. So....rock and a hard place.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information