Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

difference Belgian and American police

Hi,

First i want to apologise that my Englisch will not be without errors because I'm from Belgium.

I'm a inspector of police in Belgium.

I'm curious about the differences and similarities between are two country's in law enforcment.

for example : in Belgium we have one police devided in two. you have the federal police and the local police.

I gues that there are a lot of different police forces in America ?

regards
    klaas

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We generally have federal, state, county, and municipal police here. Some specialize in only certain laws.

Also we tend to drive American cars while you get to drive fancy rigs
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

ďA fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.Ē Sigmund Freud

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO

Difference Belgian And American Police

And to further add to the confusion, we also have, in some areas, police with special or limited jurisdiction. For example, in my area we have Airport Police that derive authority from the Metropolitan Airport Commission. We have Metropolitan Transit Police. There are University Police Officers, etc.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In Washington, DC itself, I believe I've heard that there are more than 90 different law enforcement agencies with different levels and sorts of authority on the streets. In front of the White House, for example, Secret Service authority includes the sidewalk and inside the fence (I think; I could be wrong), MP DC has the street, and Park Police has the opposite side of the street...

Just within the county where I work, I think I counted around 20 different LE agencies with authority*. And I think I missed a couple... and I wasn't counting federal special agents like FBI or ICE.

Things can get a wee bit confusing...

*Breakdown went something like:
    State PD
    County PD
    County SO
    3 municipal PDs
    Transit PD
    Airport PD
    Several different fed PDs (I think it was about 6 or 8)
    A couple of university PDs (Say 3 or 4)
    And some oddball special agencies...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    I'd be curious regarding police issued sidearms. Here in America, the vast majority of sidearms are foreign made, i.e., Glock, Sig Sauer, HK, Beretta, etc. Do officers in Belgium (Europe in general) carry any American made sidearms such as S&W, or Ruger?
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    We generally have federal, state, county, and municipal police here. Some specialize in only certain laws.

Also we tend to drive American cars while you get to drive fancy rigs
    what do you mean with fancy rigs ?

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ANI4ANI View Post
    I'd be curious regarding police issued sidearms. Here in America, the vast majority of sidearms are foreign made, i.e., Glock, Sig Sauer, HK, Beretta, etc. Do officers in Belgium (Europe in general) carry any American made sidearms such as S&W, or Ruger?
    Whe carry a glock 19 or 17.

some still carry a browning GP.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In some places, officers are not allowed to take their issued weapon with them after their shift. In Belgium, how strict are your gun laws?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keno46 View Post
    what do you mean with fancy rigs ?
    We drive Fords, Chevrolet, and Dodges here. Do you drive Benzes and BMW's, Opels, or what?
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    So how many languages do police have to speak in Belgium?

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    * We can take or gun home when we go home in uniform.
    In some cases we get permission to take or gun home in civilian clothing.
    It's federally determined but In every corps there are different arrangements.

Gun laws for civilians are very strict. It's very hard to buy a gun for sports.

* We drive european cars and every corps is free to buy what they want. We drive Volkswagen vans as intervention vehicles but we also have the BMW X5, Nissan quashqai, citroŽn, opel...

I like the cars you drive in !!!

* colleagues who work in flemisch part of Belgium need to speak dutch.
    colleagues who work in Brussels need to speak dutch and french but they get payed extra to speak both languages.
    colleagues who work in the french part of Belgium need to speak french.

We do get french lessons in are training year.

How long does the training take before you become as cop ?

For us it's 1 year including 3 months course.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

* colleagues who work in flemisch part of Belgium need to speak dutch.
    colleagues who work in Brussels need to speak dutch and french but they get payed extra to speak both languages.
    colleagues who work in the french part of Belgium need to speak french.

We do get french lessons in are training year.
    Wow, imagine if we tried this in the USA, with police who work in each part of the city having to speak each language commonly spoken there. Police who work in neighborhoods with 10 common languages would have to spend 20 years learning all of them, but then they'd be paid a huge amount extra for that!

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    It's very easy. there are clear bounds in Belgium. There is something that's called a language barrier. In the Flemish part everyone speaks Flemish and visa versa.

It's a favour of us if we want to help a French speaking Belgian in their language.

But almost every dutch speaking cop can speak French.
    visa versa it's not like that.

And then there is a small part of Belgium where they speak German but that's another story...

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    Do police departments in your country have mandated government gender/race regulations regarding hiring practices? For example, many here in the states have quotas. A specific number of female and non-white applicants must be hired to attend the academy. In other words, you must have 'X' number of females and 'X' number of blacks in the newly hired class.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    There is something that's called a language barrier.
    Klaas, my American colleagues don't understand me half the time, and we are supposed to speak the same language!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Klaas, my American colleagues don't understand me half the time, and we are supposed to speak the same language!
    Maybe I did not explane it correct and it's hard to believe but ...
    We literally have a border in the country that separate french from flemisch Belgium.
    afcourse it's not a border like with check points ...

One side falls under Belgian flemish control and the other under Belgian french. but it is still one country.

* there is no mandated government gender/race regulations regarding hiring practices.

keno46 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    How long does the training take before you become as cop ?
    For us it's 1 year including 3 months course.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    What's that year plus consist of?

Most state requirements here in the US can be covered in about 12 weeks. Many agency academies go further (the ones my agency uses are about 26 weeks now) -- but to do the bare minimum is only about 12 weeks. Topics covered include law, paperwork, patrol tactics (how to handle different calls, how to do traffic stops, etc), defensive tactics, marksmanship, driving, first aid, and some other odds and ends.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    If the English would simply speak English as it is meant to be spoken, there would be no problems.

Speaking of languages, we have a new State mandate that all signs in our prisons now have to be printed in English AND Spanish! WTH!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    To be more specific, there are very limited instances of Federal police in the United States.

Our constitution gives most police power to the States. There are limited examples for forces that patrol Federal properties and border crossing areas.

We do have Federal law enforcement agencies that are not police, who each have a specific mission to accomplish for the Federal government.

Each State passes their own criminal laws, and operates a State Police force. Some of the States like mine, the State Police focus on highway and traffic enforcement. Others have general service State Police agencies.

Within each state is a county, parish, or borough - usually headed up by a Sheriff. Sometimes Sheriff's have patrol duties, as in most counties. Other times the Sheriff only runs a jail.

Cities decide if they wish to invest in a police force. These are usually headed by a Police Chief or in very large cities by a commission.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information