Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cheech Guest

Why SOME security shouldnt carry firearms.

Tell me why he had to fire his weapon? This video got me mad. How close can that kid get to a bullet?http://www.break.com/movies/robberyontape.html

FishTail Guest
    Jesus! What a dipshit.

REGEX is offline Rookie
    Was the thief shooting at him, I can not really tell.

Cheech Guest
    WEll I cant say that he was at the way he slowly took his firearm out. The guy fled. So he took money, he took it personal. Stupid. Look at your surroundings before u shoot

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by 06AccordLX
    Tell me why he had to fire his weapon? This video got me mad. How close can that kid get to a bullet?http://www.break.com/movies/robberyontape.html
    Have they taken your gun away yet?

PACMAN is offline Officer
    He is an asshole...but I like the song, Will can you hook that up please?

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Damn....Someone almost lost child out of that deal!
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I like how he used his partner as a shield, lol

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Does anyone know where that took place? I agree. What was he thinking? If he were in CA his ass would be locked up. I wonder if he missed the class that said you don't shoot someone fleeing in the back. And they wonder why security guards have a bad name.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    Have they taken your gun away yet?
    Why would they?

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    This has been discussed ad nauseum on other fori (ak47.net, etc)

He isn't a security guard. Just a shopkeep with a ccw. There was discussion at length there addressing the angle of the shot, etc.

I'll see if I can find it. The OP was the shooter. BG died outside. No charges to the clerk. Should be hard to pass judgement when so few facts are available from bigboys.com.

(FYI, it was an armed robbery, I would have shot the MF'er too. There is no guarantee he gets outside two steps and decides not to leave 4 witnesses and comes back. It was HIS bad decision, not the clerks.)

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't think that anyone is arguing about whether or not he was JUSTIFIED to shoot, as I'm inferring that the guy had a gun (notice how the clerks duck once the shooting starts...I'm thinking the BG let one loose), but rather SHOULD he have shot. Did you notice how close that little kid was to having her melon popped???
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    This was discussed on O.com a while back, not this exact scenario but very similar to it. One of the main points for not opening fire on a robber was the risk of hitting bystanders and in this scenario that was a very genuine threat, how far away was that kid? 1 or 2 feet????

Personally I think the threat is over or not personal (ir murder, serious assault, etc) then dont take them on, cash is paper, life is life (innocent people not robber). The other concern is the fact that the clerk draws his weapon before a shot is fired, he has already drawn and aimed when the first robber shot is fired.

Credit where due though, he nailed the fucker!
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda
    This was discussed on O.com a while back, not this exact scenario but very similar to it. One of the main points for not opening fire on a robber was the risk of hitting bystanders and in this scenario that was a very genuine threat, how far away was that kid? 1 or 2 feet????

Personally I think the threat is over or not personal (ir murder, serious assault, etc) then dont take them on, cash is paper, life is life (innocent people not robber). The other concern is the fact that the clerk draws his weapon before a shot is fired, he has already drawn and aimed when the first robber shot is fired.

Credit where due though, he nailed the fucker!
    I've already weighed in on why NOT to shoot, but I'll address this.

Just because a shot hasn't been fired yet does not mean the guy is not justified in shooting the BG. You have to act on what you KNOW to be true...that the guy is sticking a gun in your face. Money aside, you are well within your legal right here to smoke the guy...both as a cop or civilian. Many times robbers will hold off on shooting you long enough for you to hand over the money, then smoke you so as not to leave a witness. The psycological makeup of robbery is a violent one, and it is a fine line that one walks between robbing and murdering. It's well-documented. That's why in this day and age, robbery and homicide are (generally) investigated by the same unit within a PD, because the crimes are very close cousins.

In addition, deadly force is also authorized (in my state anyway, but I suspect it's about the same everywhere) when the offender has committed a felony with the use of a deadly weapon, and is attempting escape with the use of the weapon, and you have a reasonable belief that the offender will utilize deadly force in order to effect his escape and he must be apprehended without delay. It's pretty reasonable to believe that a guy who just pulled a gun on you AND shot at you while running WILL shoot at anyone who attempts to prevent his escape. This isn't any normal fleeing felon situation...you CAN actually shoot this guy in the back.

In short, I would agree with smoking a baddie who has a gun in my face, IF I had a clean shot. This guy didn't.
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 04-30-06 at 12:24 PM.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    121, Garda,

Points well considered. Personally, I could not have justified shooting that close to the little girl, but we also don't have audio other than the cheesy music added in. We don't know what the bad guy was saying. We also don't know what the BG's actions were prior to when the camera started filming in this particular clip. I really wish I could find a particular thread, where the clerk (who is a long time post whore member of the forum) posted the video himself and defends his reasoning for the shoot. His video also has much more leading video footage..

121, I'm with you. I think he was a bit too close to the girl. That considered, in that situation, if I had a much clearer shot, I would have stopped that threat as it was running out the door.

Thread Information