Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

Flight 93, Will you see it?

Being that I had the misfortune of being 25 miles away from the WTC attackes on 9/11 and could see the smoke rising from Manhattan, I will see this movie. I know it will be painful to watch, but there have never been a bigger bunch of heros then the passengers who brought that plane down to save others. Sometimes I think America has forgotten that terrible day that is etched in my mind forever.
    Anyway I hope people will see it so we never forget!
    Last edited by Beans; 04-28-06 at 12:08 PM.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'll definitely see it. Yes, Stan, even though I know how it ends. Guess I'm simple like that.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I won't, because it's Hollywood's take on what happened and only loosely based on the actual facts. I have no doubt that it will be very moving, very powerful, and about 90% fiction. They're looking to make money off of horriffic events. It's exploitation, just one that a lot of people are willing to swallow.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I think a good deal of the money is donated to something, but I forgot what I read.

I will see it, its going to be hard and I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD, so I'm not crying in the middle of the movie theater.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    I won't, because it's Hollywood's take on what happened and only loosely based on the actual facts. I have no doubt that it will be very moving, very powerful, and about 90% fiction. They're looking to make money off of horriffic events. It's exploitation, just one that a lot of people are willing to swallow.

Why do you say it's so loosely baed on actual facts?

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    At the time the movie was made, only the most minimal of information had been released. Somehow I doubt that the producers would have been privy to more sensitive information. Not only that, but have you EVER come across a "docu-drama" that didn't take liberties with the events? Even this movie's listed category is drama. If it were closer to the truth, they would at least have tried to list it as a documentary.

I'll stick to the reports and honor the men and women who died on that flight without pouring money into the great entertainment machine that is taking itself WAY too seriously.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"
    At the time the movie was made, only the most minimal of information had been released. Somehow I doubt that the producers would have been privy to more sensitive information. Not only that, but have you EVER come across a "docu-drama" that didn't take liberties with the events? Even this movie's listed category is drama. If it were closer to the truth, they would at least have tried to list it as a documentary.

I'll stick to the reports and honor the men and women who died on that flight without pouring money into the great entertainment machine that is taking itself WAY too seriously.
    I usually am the first to spout off about the Hollywood whores but I gotta part company with you on this one....

They obviously do not know everything that was said or done on that plane but there is enough to piece it together. Admittedly I was annoyed when I heard this movie was made but the more I learned the less I was concerned. I have not seen the movie but from what I hear it handles what happened with dignity- it got rave reviews.

If nothing else we NEED this movie to remind the "hug a terrorist" group that there are bloodthirsty Muslim Terrorists out there who want to KILL as many non-muslim men, women and children as possible. How quickly some forget including Bush who's too busy jerking off in Iraq while Bin Laden and the Al-Q are still breathing in Pakistan/Afghanistan.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O

Exclamation

From what I heard, all the family members gave their ok for the movie to be made. I would think if they thought something were up with it they would not give the ok to go forward with the movie.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

Ducky, going to have to disagree with you on this one.(In a freindly way of course) The filmaker had no political agenda and the familes did give the okay for the movie on this. I hate Hollywood but I think this was done with intent to honor the heros of that day. The St. Louis-Post Dispatch gave the movie a great review and said it is made in real time with no Hollywood theatrics.
    To each his own I guess. I know I will walk out of that theater crying like a baby.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's nice to get disagreed with so pleasantly

I think the main problem for me is that I'm against the hollywood movie machine in general. I've seen what they do to real-life events, twisting them around to make their own point. Most of the time, I can deal with it. But you wouldn't believe how many people I've encountered who refuse to belive that events on the real Titanic didn't occur like they did in the movie. Some people have a very hard time distinguishing fact from fiction, and the public perception of the events of that day will invariably be altered by the fictional aspects of not only this movie, but others that are sure to come. I'd rather remember the truths of that day, my own fear and uncertainty, the heartbreak of watching the rescue workers walking toward the towers even as the anchorman was talking about the possibility of collapse. Of KNOWING that some of those brave people were walking toward their deaths. I don't need someone else's perceptions clouding my own.

When United flight 93 went down, no one was sure at first if it was connected with the tower strikes. Now, tragically, we know it was. We also know that the passengers took matters into their own hands and saved countless other lives. Yes, remember the bravery and gallantry. But also remember the truth behind the film, and not just the film itself.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I think it was important to make this movie to remind people what happened on that day in history. Will I see it? No. The terror those poor people went through is beyond what any movie can portray. It's important to memorialize the sacrafice & bravery of those on flight 93. To see it or not is a personal choice. I was working that day. I was in charge of closing down a major airport. It was really scary time for many peple. I have no desire to relive it again.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    While I agree with some of Stan's reason for the movie being relevant, I have no intention of seeing it. I think that it's being used by the Hollywood fat cats to exploit the situation to make a ton of money, and I don't want to contribute to the exploitation in any way, form or manner.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    I have no intention of seeing it, my neighbor was the co-pilot. I've seen enough of what that day caused, rather not have to sit through a film and reduce it to "entertainment."
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    I still don't know if I'ill go to a movie theater and watch this with other people. I was honored being able to work the 911 disaster in New York City. Some of the people that lossed friends an relatives at the crash site came and worked with us. They spoke of thier loss and about the lives of the people that had died. It would be hard for me to take what I know to be truth and watch this movie. If I do I think I would want to be able to talk with someone while it was playing. My brother went to the crash site the next morning to set up communications with Red Cross. He also has to think about watching it. Hopefully we will watch it together on DVD.

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    I don't have to go see this movie. I grew up during WW2, and although war movies followed Pearl Harbor, the American people did not have to be reminded we were at war. At the time of the WTC event, I was in the midwest, painting a room in my home. My wife said a plane had crashed into the WTC. We started watching, and then saw the second plane. At that time, we were on a war footing. The people on 93 are true American heros, and that cannot be adequately expressed. In addition, we should never forget the first responders. They too are the same caliber people as was on 93. It is my fear the general population is forgetting all of this, and maybe the movie will plant that seed again. At least we can pray that happens. You can believe the terroists, and the countries sponsering them, think we don't have the balls to stay in this fight. Too many Americans have AADD.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity ó and that's not fair!" ó Konrad Adenauer,

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

I have to agree with some of what Ducky says... We really don't know what the hell happened on that plane except for what was released from cell phones & cockpit mic's.

I think it's a good posibility that it was shot down by American fighter planes, myself, and if so it was the correct decision.

One thing that makes me say that is that debris was found miles from the impact zone.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-28-06 at 09:44 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    I have to agree with some of what Ducky says... We really don't know what the hell happened on that plane except for what was released from cell phones & cockpit mic's.

I think it's a good posibility that it was shot down by American fighter planes, myself, and if so it was the correct decision.

One thing that makes me say that is that debris was found miles from the impact zone.
    FLIGHT 93
    Cockpit recordings indicate the passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 teamed up to attack their hijackers, forcing down the plane near Shanksville, in southwestern Pennsylvania. But conspiracy theorists assert Flight 93 was destroyed by a heat-seeking missile from an F-16 or a mysterious white plane. Some theorists add far-fetched elaborations: No terrorists were aboard, or the passengers were drugged. The wildest is the "bumble planes" theory, which holds that passengers from Flights 11, 175 and 77 were loaded onto Flight 93 so the U.S. government could kill them.

The White Jet
    CLAIM: At least six eyewitnesses say they saw a small white jet flying low over the crash area almost immediately after Flight 93 went down. BlogD.com theorizes that the aircraft was downed by "either a missile fired from an Air Force jet, or via an electronic assault made by a U.S. Customs airplane reported to have been seen near the site minutes after Flight 93 crashed." WorldNetDaily.com weighs in: "Witnesses to this low-flying jet ... told their story to journalists. Shortly thereafter, the FBI began to attack the witnesses with perhaps the most inane disinformation ever--alleging the witnesses actually observed a private jet at 34,000 ft. The FBI says the jet was asked to come down to 5000 ft. and try to find the crash site. This would require about 20 minutes to descend."

FACT: There was such a jet in the vicinity--a Dassault Falcon 20 business jet owned by the VF Corp. of Greensboro, N.C., an apparel company that markets Wrangler jeans and other brands. The VF plane was flying into Johnstown-Cambria airport, 20 miles north of Shanksville. According to David Newell, VF's director of aviation and travel, the FAA's Cleveland Center contacted copilot Yates Gladwell when the Falcon was at an altitude "in the neighborhood of 3000 to 4000 ft."--not 34,000 ft. "They were in a descent already going into Johnstown," Newell adds. "The FAA asked them to investigate and they did. They got down within 1500 ft. of the ground when they circled. They saw a hole in the ground with smoke coming out of it. They pinpointed the location and then continued on." Reached by PM, Gladwell confirmed this account but, concerned about ongoing harassment by conspiracy theorists, asked not to be quoted directly.

Roving Engine
    CLAIM: One of Flight 93's engines was found "at a considerable distance from the crash site," according to Lyle Szupinka, a state police officer on the scene who was quoted in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Offering no evidence, a posting on Rense.com claimed: "The main body of the engine ... was found miles away from the main wreckage site with damage comparable to that which a heat-seeking missile would do to an airliner."

FACT: Experts on the scene tell PM that a fan from one of the engines was recovered in a catchment basin, downhill from the crash site. Jeff Reinbold, the National Park Service representative responsible for the Flight 93 National Memorial, confirms the direction and distance from the crash site to the basin: just over 300 yards south, which means the fan landed in the direction the jet was traveling. "It's not unusual for an engine to move or tumble across the ground," says Michael K. Hynes, an airline accident expert who investigated the crash of TWA Flight 800 out of New York City in 1996. "When you have very high velocities, 500 mph or more," Hynes says, "you are talking about 700 to 800 ft. per second. For something to hit the ground with that kind of energy, it would only take a few seconds to bounce up and travel 300 yards." Numerous crash analysts contacted by PM concur

More at http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...tml?page=7&c=y

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Then there's stuff like this, everywhere:

http://post-gazette.com/headlines/20...somersetp3.asp

"...In a morning briefing, state Police Major Lyle Szupinka confirmed that debris from the plane had turned up in relatively far-flung sites, including the residential area of Indian Lake. Investigators appealed to any residents who had come across such debris, in the surrounding countryside or even in their yards, to contact them, emphasizing that even the smallest remnants could prove to be important clues.

"This is not a finite [crime] scene," said Crowley. "As things are discovered, it expands and contracts."

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/flight_93.htm

"Pennsylvania state police officials said on Thursday debris from the plane had been found up to 8 miles away in a residential community where local media have quoted residents as speaking of a second plane in the area
    and burning debris falling from the sky."

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Then there's stuff like this, everywhere:

http://post-gazette.com/headlines/20...somersetp3.asp

"...In a morning briefing, state Police Major Lyle Szupinka confirmed that debris from the plane had turned up in relatively far-flung sites, including the residential area of Indian Lake. Investigators appealed to any residents who had come across such debris, in the surrounding countryside or even in their yards, to contact them, emphasizing that even the smallest remnants could prove to be important clues.

"This is not a finite [crime] scene," said Crowley. "As things are discovered, it expands and contracts."

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/flight_93.htm

"Pennsylvania state police officials said on Thursday debris from the plane had been found up to 8 miles away in a residential community where local media have quoted residents as speaking of a second plane in the area
    and burning debris falling from the sky."

My understanding is that the upward thrust of the crash impact flung small pieces of debris into the air that were carried in the wind in the direction of Indian Lake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information