Welcome to the APBWeb.
    cfallsguy is offline Rookie

Going out of state after academy

I'm currently going through a local academy here in Ohio but jobs are becoming more scarce with only one to two positions opening a month, and with all the people looking for law enforcement it's really just a toss up and unless you have a really good in you're not getting a job. I know that my certification from Ohio wouldn't fully transfer out of state (or may not at all) and I may need to take a refresher course where ever I go, but I'm fine with that.
    I was looking into the Dallas area as there are several listings around the area and there seems like more of a demand then in Ohio. My question is, if I just graduated academy will any states (mainly TX) really acknowledge my certification without having any on the job experience?
    I don't complete the course until near the end of May, but I'm looking around now for any potential openings now just so I can get as much of a headstart as I can.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Some states do have ways that you can challenge their training exams, but I don't know if they require experience or just the academy to do so. You might find your answer about Texas here.

In Virginia, waivers can be granted, but I don't know how often it's done except in cases like hiring a chief from out of state. Some academies do offer lateral training, but again, that's often requiring actual experience beyond mere certification from out of state.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

I went through an academy in Michigan, working in North Dakota now and have to go through their academy. They're paying for it and I suppose you can never have too much learning! It probably depends on the state.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Thread Information