Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries

O/R wants to know (discrimination)

O/R wants to know: to what extent do you think female officers still face discrimination either within policing culture or from the public?
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    More so from the public than the job.
    In many ways being a woman can be a positive when trying to get a post. depts specifically target and encourage female officers in some areas.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The answers to this will vary dependent upon region, agency, etc. I'm sure there are areas where discrimination exists, but I'm equally sure there are other areas where there has been virtual "overkill" which can result in persons being passed over because they don't meet an unspecified criteria. I don't care what race, religion, sex or sexual orientation a person has. If they are the most qualified for a job, they should get the job.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I've seen it get better, but it has not gone away. I remember when a female recruit was automatically assumed to either be a lesbian, or hunting for a husband. And when they made it through the academy they could look forward to assignment to the Youth Div (Cause all females have that motherly nature, I guess).

Most that made it through the academy back then weren't around very long. I'd say that a lot of the female recruits then weren't truly looking for career as most are now. It was more of just a job to them. We have the highest number of female officers in our history now (13); 1 in Youth Div, 4 detectives (1 in Child Crimes), 1 in Community Services, 1 in Narcotics, 1 in Intel, and the remaining on Patrol.

I have seen "standards" ignored or actually lowered in order to include a female or maintain a recruit in the hiring process. I can't say I've recognized an officer being treated differently by the public due to being a female. But I'm not living in their boots either.

1 thing that male officers often do that drives me up a wall is pawning off sexual assault investigations to a female co-worker. I've seen some literally convince a victim they'd "be more comfortable talking with a female". Yeah they would, because they can see that officer doesn't wanna be doing it and that comes across as not giving a crap.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Here, yes from the public, not so much on the job. I have never seen a female officer at my department be counted as anything other than an officer, as long as they pulled their weight. Same goes for male officers here though.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I've seen female receive different treatment both from the public and from the department.

Sometimes, this is good. I've seen some loudmouth assholes who were spoiling for a fight shut right up and almost put the cuffs on themselves when a female officer was involved. Or the department actually give a new supervisor support and training rather than throw them to the wolves.

Sometimes, it's bad. I've seen females get walked all over or ignored because "women don't count" or "girls can't be real cops." (Important clarification: I know some outstanding female officers who I'd work with any day -- and I know some that I'd be happy to see running DARE because they damn well shouldn't be anywhere near the street.) I've seen the brass afraid to discipline females, too.

What I've noticed is that, beyond the assholes that won't be convinced either way, the way female officers get treated tends to be the result of how they act and how they expect to be treated. The ones that are there to work, with a professional attitude and bearing, get treated that way. The ones that don't bring that bearing and attitude? Yep, they get treated "differently."
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Yes on both counts.

At my department we currently have 2 females and it's never made a bit of a difference. We even had a female chief for awhile. But one of the departments in the county promotes all his females to detective as soon as possible because he doesn't think they can hack it on the streets.

On the street I've seen people want to disregard the female officer that's handling the scene and try to talk to me instead. I've always set them straight on who's doing what. They've also had guys bow up at them that wouldn't try it with a male officer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    On the street I've seen people want to disregard the female officer that's handling the scene and try to talk to me instead. I've always set them straight on who's doing what. They've also had guys bow up at them that wouldn't try it with a male officer.

I've explained to those guys that there is not a jury in this county that will convict those officers of anything for shooting their ass if they fight them while they are by themselves. Just the way it is. The bravado usually drops off after that.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information