Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!

Tired of being a poop-magnet!

I was actually attacked my some idiot...a guy, in front of my son on 4/9! I've been involved with a local drum & bugle corps since the early 90's. It was while I was an officer and it was a great way to blow off stress by performing in something creative. Then, when I moved to another department my schedule changed so I had to stop. I used to play the soprano bugle (like a trumpet) and then became a conductor, which was a real rush. So, I got involved with the corps' alumni group, last year. We would have practices once a month and then a big performance at the Forum on the Capitol grounds in Harrisburg. Last year, I had to conduct in a gown because my husband's company sponsored a black-tie charity event one the same night, so I had obligations as the wife of the CEO and had to rush across town to conduct the corps- then back to the event.
    Any way, this year was to be the last ever show at the Forum because it was just becoming too expensive. There was a big push for all of the old members to come back. We must have had over 200 people and I didn't know many of them. The day of the performance, we had a practice at the venue and I brought my son along. All of the practices had gone very well, the show was going to be great and I was excited about performing. We took a break and something really random happened. I was walking out to grab a smoke when I passed two female cymbal players in the hallway who were talking (the hallways are HUGE) I was more than an arms-length away, nodded at the one that I knew and kept walking. I was just past them when I saw a young guy passing in the other direction on the other side. He had a shirt on that said "Cougars"...being of a certain age, I thought it was funny and pointed to him and laughed, saying, "I so need that shirt!"
    As soon as I did that, the female cymbal player that I didn't know spun around and freaked out on me. Just went nuts, screaming obscenities, claiming I was interrupting her conversation ( I wasn't even speaking to her). It was just NUTS! I stood there stunned for a moment and then thought, "Oh HELL no!"
    I walked out to the stage where she was at and kept my voice low and calm (thanks, verbal judo!) and explained that I didn't know her, she didn't know me but I have always treated her and everyone else in the corps with respect and I expected the same in return. I told her that what she did was unacceptable. (The language was really outrageous so I can't repeat it here.) She went off again! I was f.... b....this, f.... c.... that. I let her wind down and then calmly said, "Well, I think you just proved who is the f..... c... here with your behavior. Have a nice day." And I walked away.
    I informed our director about it and my response, he said I handled it fine and he will not stand for any of his drum majors being verbally abused. We agreed that she must have either been having a bad day or she was just simply....off. He told me that he would see me that night and I went to gather my son (who had thankfully not witnessed any of this, he was playing with other kids).
    So, my son and I are walking out at around 1pm, nice Saturday afternoon, I'm hyped up about the upcoming show, and my son and I were discussing whether we should pick something up to take home and eat or if he wanted me to make spaghetti. He was behind me to the right, just a few steps away and I had my head turned back over my right shoulder while talking with him. We passed the equipment truck (where the drum line and the larger horns store their instruments), we were headed to my Jeep a few spots behind that. Two things happened at the same time, my son's face got a shocked look on it (wide eyes, jaw dropped) and I heard a man screaming obscenities and making threats about killing someone. This was off to my left. I looked over and saw one of the drum line members that I didn't know (a male cymbal player) being held back by three or four guys while he was screaming threats. I looked back to the right, reaching out to grab my son because I thought that he was trying to get to someone on the other side of us. All of a sudden, my left upper arm is grabbed really hard and I was thrown to the ground with someone on top of me. It was the yelling guy! He's on top of me screaming obscenities and threats. My right arm that was reaching for my son had slammed down on the curb right on the knob of bone on the outside of your wrist. The whole upper part of my body was turned to the right, while my lower body was twisted to the left with this guy on top of me. I'm looking at my child and he is crying and yelling, I told him to run for the car.
    I felt the guy being lifted off of me and I got my son in the car and got out of there. I know I was in shock. I didn't know where the Capitol Police dept. was so all I could think of was getting my son safely in our home.
    When I arrived home, my husband flipped out and called the Capitol Police, right away. I found out my left arm looked like a dog mauled it, it was gashed and bleeding and finger bruise marks were forming...this was through a t-shirt, a heavy PSU sweatshirt and my police academy jacket. I knew my right side was messed up but I was afraid to find out how badly and trying to console my son.
    The Capitol PD told us to come right in...they are an amazing group of people! I still wasn't thinking clearly because I put on my uniform (a white corps golf shirt and black pants) and my arm bled right through the shirt. They took pics of my arm and the bruising, separated my son (who would finally only leave me because he went with my husband) and we gave our statements. My son picked the guy out of a photo line up. I had to call another drummer I did know to find out who the guy that attacked me was...I found out he was the husband on the woman in the hallway that flipped out on me. None of this made sense to me.
    By that time, it was around the time everyone had to arrive from the corps to get ready for the show. I don't know if any of you have been in corps or band, but drummers are a different breed, kind of like a tribe or gang, very tight-knit and they do everything together, i.e. eating, wearing certain colors or clothing, resting together, etc. They are NEVER late. We arrived with about 10 officers and guess who wasn't there? Both husband and wife. One of the other drummers was the guy's brother and he was told to call him and tell him he had 30 minutes to arrive or they were getting a warrant and coming for him. One of the other drummers that I've known for years heard this and immediately stated he wasn't playing if this guy was arrested. I was like, WTF? Then, one of the drummers wives started coming after me, screaming, "You f-ed with the wrong people, we are going to f- you up!" Not very smart when I have 7 cops around me (the other three were by the building with my husband and son.) The guy arrived and was taken into custody. By that time, my left shoulder had swollen so much that I couldn't lift it above my shoulder and I realized there was no way I could perform. I got the director on the cell phone and told him I couldn't conduct because of the assault (we had called him prior to leaving for the PD - he wanted to do some "kumbayah" meeting between me and the husband and wife....yeah, right).
    We left after getting the money back for the two tickets I had paid for so my husband and son could watch the show.
    My son wouldn't let me out of his sight for the rest of the weekend. I felt like a truck hit me. I called my doctor and made an appointment for right after I dropped my son off on Monday morning at school. We were going to go to the ER, but believe it or not, York Hospital actually got a bomb threat that night. I wasn't going to further traumatize my son.
    My doc was concerned that my right wrist, right shoulder blade and back might have been broken. Thankfully, no fractures, but both shoulders are sprained, along with my right wrist, neck and back. I have 12 weeks of physical therapy, now. NOT what I wanted to do over the summer.
    Apparently this guy told the police that he only yelled at me and no one from the drum line would talk, except for one guy that said he had been holding him back. Now, I have to have my son testify, it really pisses me off. Not just that this guy did this (for no reason I can understand) but to do it in front of my child!
    As I said, the Capitol officers are the best! They charged him with three counts of Simple Assault, one count of Terroristic Threats and one count of Disorderly Conduct.
    I'm working with one of the victim advocates so that we can take my son into the court room a few days before so he can look around, sit in the witness chair, judge's chair and meet the judge. He seems to be handling it but we are keeping a close eye on him. He was angry that he couldn't protect me. The police and I explained to him that he will be doing something even more important by going into court and telling the truth about what he saw.
    So, I'm still feeling like a truck hit me. *sigh* All I can say is
    Remembering Officer Richard Phelps, Lemoyne (PA) PD, EOW- 7/11/89

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Civil lawsuit
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Civil lawsuit
    I doubt they have anything worth it. Then again, like I said, I don't really know anything about them. I was kind of freaked out when I got the paperwork in the mail and realized that the guy has the same date of birth as I do (but is 9 years older)...just weird. They definitely acted like white trash that day. I had never had any other interactions with them before that day at any of the practices other than "Hi" or "Attention", "Parade Rest" etc.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Goddess View Post
    I doubt they have anything worth it. Then again, like I said, I don't really know anything about them. I was kind of freaked out when I got the paperwork in the mail and realized that the guy has the same date of birth as I do (but is 9 years older)...just weird. They definitely acted like white trash that day. I had never had any other interactions with them before that day at any of the practices other than "Hi" or "Attention", "Parade Rest" etc.
    I'm sure they have a car. Get a judgement and take it. Get their TV also
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Make 'em pay...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    hell - make sure in the suit, you take their stick bag - they would appreciate the insult

(I played in a large college marching band in the SEC and have a few friends who are drummers - some of them equate their sticks and stick bags to the level of their kids)
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    hell - make sure in the suit, you take their stick bag - they would appreciate the insult

(I played in a large college marching band in the SEC and have a few friends who are drummers - some of them equate their sticks and stick bags to the level of their kids)
    LMAO, that just sounds nasty...I don't think I want anything to do with this guy's "stick bag" except put my foot through it!

dot4x4 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    That just sucks "stick bags". Sorry you had to go through all that but even more sorry your son has to testify. You are doing everything right in taking him in there before so he knows what to expect. My Daughter had to testify and we did the same thing. It really helped to take the anxiety away. Hope you heal up quick. As to D-bag I cant say how I feel about that.

Thread Information