Welcome to the APBWeb.
    WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie

Unhappy Disqualified from the LAPD process. ... WOW!! :-(

So, I was attempting to go through the process again for the second time since 2005. Originally, I thought I was disqualified because my credit wasn't all that great back then. So in leu of round 2, six years later, I just paid off ALL my debt. Hoping to make it through this time.

About 20 minutes ago I received a phone call from a Case Manager (I believe) stating that he is just calling to inform me that I wasn't originally disqualified because of poor credit. In fact, I only had one late payment for $130 past 60 days on file and that wasn't my issue at all. My issue for being disqualified back in 2005 was that I admitted to using steroids through needle injection for 6 weeks back in 2003, admitted to leaving employment of a venue out of concern of termination (I was about to loose my job as Head of Security because i called the ambulance for a guest who had been DRUGED! The venue felt that I had called 911 prematurely and forced "Unwanted Attention" by local PD), admitted to clothing theft in 2000 (I was 18, young and stupid) equating to $230 and had admitted to numerous physical altercations (Ive worked in nightclubs for the past 11 years. It happens! Dunks like to fight!!) ...

So, I took it with a grain of salt, laughed and assumed that he was just correcting a missunderstanding of what I believed to be the reasons for my disqualification 6 years ago. ... NOPE!... Apparently, those are STILL the reasons for being disqualified today. Primary concern is my steriroid use back in 2003!...

It's disheartening! .... I'd like to think that being up-front and honest about my past would count towards my integrity but apparently there are no allowances for past mistakes or situations such as with that one employer/nightclub.

I was told that I could try and contest it but that the steroid use in 2003 with needle injection would automatically warrant a "NO" response.

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Well I will start with I am sorry that you having gotten a NO.

I will also say that you will find that the needle use that is only 7-8 years ago and was not a one time thing will likely be a major hurdle to get over.

My advise would be to try looking to smaller departments that may be more willing to give someone a chance.

LAPD has so many applicants that it will be much less likely to take a chance on someone.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    kjlaw touched on my first thought when I read your post and I want to expand on it slightly.

When the LAPD really has the pick of the litter due to the significant number of applicants they get, an applicant who has never used drugs is going to have a leg up over an applicant who has. Especially when your drug use occurred 8 yrs ago. I've been told that a general rule is 10-15 yrs of drug free living would be needed before a department would give you a chance.

You were 18 when you stole merchandise. You were (roughly) 21 yoa when you used steroids. You were a grown up and knew right from wrong. I would imagine most departments would want some additional years between your use and their hiring you before they'll give you a chance because you were an adult when it occurred, compared to someone who did the same things as a juvenile.

And also, I don't know about California, but if you've ever been convicted of theft in MN you're ineligible to be POST licensed.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I see two things that would be serious problems for you with my agency: the steroid use and the theft. The theft would have been a felony. I suspect that the steroid abuse was beyond the level of "innocent" experimentation. It'd take some serious explaining.

Be upfront as you contact agencies about these issues. Let them tell you if they can work with you on them, or not. And don't be stupid; especially in a given region, the recruiting or background officers talk to each other. You can't just hide it...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie
    I was never caught on theft. I just admitted to it because I had/have no desire to lie to the department. As far as steriroid use, all I can say is that I never did it again and it's obviously something in my past that I regret. No time machines available to reverse it so I guess I'm out of luck! It is what it is.

LOL!.. To add insult to injury, on my way to one of the venues I work at (strip club), my pepper spray unlocked and discharged in my car while I was driving. ... I can't even get upset. I have to laugh or I'll loose my mind. It was just disheartening because it's something I REALLY wanted to do for a living. I'm done with bars, night clubs and strip clubs. I've been stabbed twice, shot at, had my jaw broken and in after all that, I just want the trust and comrodary I see the LEOs have with each other as well as a line of work that I can take into the next 2-3 decades. I'm good at my line of work. 11 years and ZERO assault and battery charges. Which is rare for a bouncer to not have after a few years of putting in serious work in these venues. .... Hell, I dont even drink! Haha!

It is what it is! ...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    You're not necessarily done; different agencies have different policies. You were never charged with a felony. I misunderstood that -- and that does change things a little. You're still going to have to explain thngs, but it's not like you lied or hid something.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You're certainly not out of luck.

You'll just need some time between your use and when you're "hireable." For some departments it may be 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 15 yrs, who knows. Every place is different. I'd try applying elsewhere, and you can always try LAPD again in the future. It will probably really help having a few years of police work under your belt to show them that you're serious about it and your drug use is behind you.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    You could always try applying somewhere less competitive...not saying it'll help, but you never know
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree with the others. lAPD can pick and choose. Try somewhere else. Even look out of state.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information