Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Gas theft

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Gas theft

It's common knowledge (or at least it should be) that gas drive offs increase nearly exponentially with an increase in gas prices. Well, today I had to buy a locking gas cap for my car. I only put $10 in my car yesterday, enough for 1/4 of a tank. Enough to get me through the (very, very short) work week I have. I didn't look at the gauge on my way into work as that drive is made when I'm mostly asleep. This afternoon, after having put no more than 7 miles on my car, I was sitting on E. No excess fuel odor, no funny running, no strange driving habits. This is a car that gets 30mpg.

Thanks, asshole neighbors.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Take a small rubber snake, attach it real good with fishing line or something to the part of your gas cap that goes into the tank, and drop the snake in the tank where the head will pop out when they open the cap. You might be able to hear the scream and catch them.

Disclaimer: I have no idea of the affect of gasoline on rubber snakes or fishing line. I'd hate for it to melt into your fuel system. Nice thought on the thieving jerks though.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Take a small rubber snake, attach it real good with fishing line or something to the part of your gas cap that goes into the tank, and drop the snake in the tank where the head will pop out when they open the cap. You might be able to hear the scream and catch them.

The thief will totally regret trying to steal that $10 worth of gas!

APB Guest
    I hate to say it, but be very careful if you do in fact have people stealing gas from you and you put a locking cap on. Sometimes those who really want to do it will drill the tank and tap it from underneath if they find a locked cap.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    I hate to say it, but be very careful if you do in fact have people stealing gas from you and you put a locking cap on. Sometimes those who really want to do it will drill the tank and tap it from underneath if they find a locked cap.
    The only reason I don't worry too much about this is that my car sits too damn low to do this without jacking it up and being really obvious about it, and my driveway is dirt and not conducive to using a jack. Hubby thinks they just did it because they were broke and saw it as an easy source.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information