Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal

"A Day Without Illegal Immigrants"

Is everyone enjoying their day as much as I am? I went to the car wash & it was closed. Big deal. How has this day affected you?

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    Is everyone enjoying their day as much as I am? I went to the car wash & it was closed. Big deal. How has this day affected you?
    It hasn't really. I'm so far away from everything that it doesn't matter to me if anything is open or closed.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, the oriental buffet I went to for lunch was open and business was booming, and a lot of the clientel would have called me gringo. Oh, and about every third driver has HUA, but that may have nothing to do with the protest. Other than that, not at all.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Well, The school was quiet b/c all the hispanic trouble making kids were not here today!! Woo hoo!! lol Other than that there have been a lot of accidents, domestics and other calls that I have had to go to aside from being at school!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    It hasnt. Im still at fawking work. I think ima go protest....jk!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No effect whatsoever. Just another day.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    Not at all. Live in a small town, and the people here who might be protesting in a large city, are on the job.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity — and that's not fair!" — Konrad Adenauer,

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I couldn't go get m smothered burrito I was hankering for from the hole in the wall Messican Retaurante I like. Oh well.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Seems like we all survived. Looks like we can deport them after all.
    The latest polls from AOL:

How much do you sympathize with illegal immigrants in the U.S.?
    Very little or not at all 67%
    Somewhat 18%
    A lot 15%
    Total Votes: 114,544

Should illegal immigrant status be a felony crime?
    Yes 68%
    No 32%
    Total Votes: 189,251

How much would the economy suffer without illegal immigrants?
    Not at all 44%
    Somewhat 38%
    A lot 18%
    Total Votes: 118,845

Would you support guest worker programs for illegal immigrants established in the U.S.?
    No 50%
    Yes 50%
    Total Votes: 116,378

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I didn't notice anything different at all.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Me neither. But, let them keep pushing us and pissing us off. It'll only make us want to kick the illegals out even more. Oh, and high-five to the Minutemen and their efforts to do something about the problem. It's about time. (Refering to the fence here- not to any violence which is rumored). I'm not big into hurting others, but by all means kick them out. They can come here legally, learn our language, learn our customs, and assimilate. Until then, good riddance.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I noticed less traffic on my way home. The 91 freeway is usually packed. It was smooth sailing all he way home.

nick23smith is offline shenanigans
    I work at a restaurant, and all of our cooks were at work today. We had the usual busy lunch. I did not notice any real difference between today and any other Monday.
    Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it - Mark Twain

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Couldn't tell a difference. Fuck 'em.. Means we can send them back. Deport the illegals. Oh, the mexicans in Tiujuana blocked off the road keeping people from crossing the border. They thought this is something we wouldn't want to happen.

SHIT, I WISH THEY WOULD DO THAT ON A DAILY BASIS!!!!

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    It drove me CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! All the restaurants closed except American restaurants like JITB and McDonald's...some stores closed and some stores opened. I'm glad the college classes and my kids' schools are opened so I kicked their butts in their schools. ARRRRRRRGH! Besides, the gas prices continue to go up.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan
    I noticed less traffic on my way home. The 91 freeway is usually packed. It was smooth sailing all he way home.
    Aaahhhhh....yes, love the less traffic on 91 and 105 freeways...I haven't been on the 710 yet. But it's nice to have less traffic for a day and.............

speeeeeeeeeeeed. <I'm just joking...well, okay, okay, okay...I'll admit...sometimes, I speed....<gulp>....5 over the speed limit when there is less traffic.. or 10. *don't hit me* >
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Garbage Man Guest

Viva Mehico

I am writing this while angry and a little drunk. Please forgive the many offensive things I am about to write.

I have just spent the second day in the last month and the third this last year standing in a skirmish line listening to repeated rants from the many proud Mexicans that inhabit this country. I am not being exclusive by saying Mexican instead of Latino. I never saw any flags from any other South American country other than Mexico.

What I did see was a lot of people screaming hatred at me. I saw other officers get pelted by bottles, rocks and full soda cans. I was luck today I was only pelted by eggs. I heard the many shouts of the crowd and indeed by now have them memorized. "We didn’t cross the border the border crossed us," ECT. Today I only served a few hours on the line. To give you an example of how bad it can be at the command post there was bags of McDonalds French fries. These fries had been sitting there since 1300 hours. When I was relieved it was about 2000 hours. The members of my squad turned our noses up at the cold, hard potato’s, but as we stood at the command post I saw many officers so hungry they devoured the disgusting things like it was prime rib.

This protest today was not my worst. By far the worst was two protests ago when the crowd surrounded a WWII vet and started beating on his windows while screaming at him that he was a fascist for wanting to attend a Minuteman rally. The old guy got so scared he floored it, right through the crown and our line. Now we had him behind (keep in mind we had no idea at that time who he was or if he was a threat to us) and a throng of people wanting to rush after him to kill him.

But after listening to all the screaming and seeing all the people waving the Mexican flag so proudly all the while yelling “Viva Mehhhico!” I just want one question answered. What is there to be proud of being a Mexican.?

Now let me explain that I am Swedish by decent. Both my parents were Swedish and all of my relatives are Swedish, all of them having come from the Midwest. Yet, I know not one word of Swedish and there was never even one Swedish flag at my house. My parents never talked about Sweden and I was never encouraged to see myself as a Swedish American. In truth my parents were a little embarrassed about their heritage. Sweden is a rather silly country with a scary liberal government that is taken straight from the pages of 1984.

With this in mind I find myself confused about what could be so great about Mexico. Here is what I know of the country. It has never really won a war. It sits on one of the largest oil reserves on the planet, has beautiful beaches and fairly good weather yet is one of the poorest, ignorant and corrupt countries on Earth. If Mexico were peopled by any group other than Mexicans it would be the wealthiest superpower on Earth. So why all the pride? Why all the elitist arrogance? What am I missing? What the hell is there about Mexico that makes being a member from it better than being from anywhere else in the world? What has Mexico done that people are so proud of?

As for my anger and the eggs, don’t worry. The Mexicans got to have their day. They enjoyed it. But there are 365 days in the year and the rest of them are mine! I will be seeing many Mexicans on the road tomorrow and when they give their little laugh and say “License, no habby, sorry,” I will give my own little laugh right back and say “Car, oh sorry no habby.”

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    +1, I think is all I can really say here. Can't really add to what you said.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

hahaha!

How many of these immigrants will be boycotting the free medical services they get as well as walking out on their jobs?

Yet another reason to start the deportations:

For One Day, Rush Hour Turns Into Rush Minutes
    Drivers who were fearing the worst instead find virtually no traffic on the freeways, and many arrive earlier than expected for work.
    By Bob Pool, Martha Groves and Rong-Gong Lin II, Times Staff Writers
    May 2, 2006

Visions of mass gridlock turned into versions of mobile grandeur Monday as commuters found themselves coping just fine with immigrant protests that closed major streets in Los Angeles.

It had been billed as the motorists' day from hell. But automobile flow through most of the city turned into a traffic triumph, the likes of which Los Angeles hasn't seen since it managed to keep freeways and streets flowing during the 1984 Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Surface streets around downtown were holiday-light for the morning commute.

Many workers decided to stay home, work from other locations or take public transportation. Those who left home early to drive to work found themselves settling in at their desks in record time.

"It was wonderful. No traffic at all," marveled Lucinda Leider, a legal secretary from Altadena who works in an office tower in the center of downtown's high-rise district. Her normal morning commute "portal to parking lot" of 50 minutes was cut nearly in half.

"It seems like a Saturday," said paralegal Charlie Dimas. He left his Glendora home more than two hours early but arrived in downtown Los Angeles at 6:45 a.m., instead of his usual 9 a.m., because of the light traffic.

The afternoon commute was more congested in some areas — especially on streets like La Brea Avenue and Vermont Avenue near where Wilshire Boulevard was closed off. But the freeways were by and large still a breeze.

Because the protest march routes and times were publicized in advance, Angelenos were able to adjust their schedules to avoid trips near closed-street zones.

City transportation engineers and traffic officers kept streets open until the last minute as protesters marched their way.

Authorities have learned from traffic-snarling events such as the yearly L.A. Marathon, said John Fisher, traffic operations manager of the city's Department of Transportation.

"It's like the Olympics. Back then we had warned of severe congestion and that served to discourage people from making unnecessary trips," he said of the international sports competition that 22 years ago surprised everyone when freeways and surface streets didn't come to a complete standstill.

Freeways were moving at maximum speeds most of the day, with green symbols depicted on SigAlert maps and California Department of Transportation video cameras showing light traffic at points being photographed.

"We weren't sure what to expect," said Caltrans spokeswoman Jeanne Bonfilio. "But traffic was noticeably lighter."

Even the heavily traveled Harbor Freeway was a breeze, said a delighted Cal State Long Beach student, Christian Lopez, 21, of South Gate.

"I didn't see many trucks going to the ports. It's kind of like a holiday."

He was right. Only 3,000 of the normal 30,000 shipping container-toting trucks were pulling in and out of Long Beach and Los Angeles harbors Monday, said Theresa Adams Lopez, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles port.

The city's buses, light rails and subways were busy, however.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's new Orange Line across the San Fernando Valley was jammed. Workers heading downtown crowded on at the Warner Center, Pierce College and Reseda stops.

White-shirted Latinos who were heading for protests at the Civic Center and at MacArthur Park piled aboard at Van Nuys. Everyone then transferred to the Red Line subway in North Hollywood.

The MTA boosted the number of subway cars in use on the Red Line and ran the system on its "peak hour service" schedule most of the day, the agency's Dave Sotero said.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information