Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Does the Heat Change the Way People Behave in Your Area?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. People are more aggressive and short tempered.

20 83.33%
  • No. There is no change that I've noticed.

3 12.50%
  • Piss off and leave me alone dummy!!!!

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Does Heat Change the Behavior of People in Your Area?

I've been comparing notes with the staff here about how the warmer and in my case really hot weather has caused an increase in the reported cases of straight stupidity. I know that with warmer weather more people are out and about in public, but the heat just seems to breed a real lack of patience and general human decency. My agency, in the last week has seen an increase of road rage, pursuits, fights, fights involving groups of 3 or more. Personally the people that I'm dealing with are generally just going out of their way to be a pain. Granted that doesn't help me because I'm not any happier standing in the same 100 degree heat wrapped in kevlar with 30lbs of gear strapped to me. Even when I'm not working just observing people while I'm out and about are generally more short tempered.

Just curious as to experiences of others. Not just from a law enforcement perspective either.
    What have you noticed?
    What is the high temperature in your area right now?
    Does the heat have an effect on the way you react to others?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    People seem to be a little more irritable with the heat. Another problem is that people in lower income areas are out and about more late in the evening during heat. This allows more chances for fights and arguments. Our current temp at 1430 is 99 with a 104 index. I just talked to someone at HQ about some special events going on today. The FD was working their 3rd heat related medical aid call. We've had some record-breaking temps lately to include one about 90 miles south of here this morning. 101 Degrees broke the old record of 96.

I really like summer and I don't mind the heat all that much. It doesn't make me react much different towards others but if it's REALLY hot and I am having to deal with some idiocy I might be a little less patient.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    And it depends on the phase of the moon.

We are going to be in the 90's all week. Unseasonably warm for this time of year. The middle school kids make better fight videos when it is hot.

Fights at Harding Middle School | Facebook

VIDEO VIOLENCE: Students videotape fights & post them online - WHO
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Speaking of the heat, this just came out:

Several record highs were tied or broken today. Jackson hit 100 degrees, which breaks the previous record of 99 from 1985. Vicksburg hit 98 which was one degree higher than the record of 97 set in 1985, and Hattiesburg shattered the old record of 96 from 2008 when it reached 103 today. Meridian and Greenwood tied their records of 99 and 97 respectively.
    Enough to make a preacher grouchy.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Can't take the heat, get out of the Lower 48 and become a LEO in Alaska!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No sense in lying about it. The hotter it gets the more grouchy I become. The heat always seems to bring out the idiots more so than cool weather.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Can't take the heat, get out of the Lower 48 and become a LEO in Alaska!
    If it wouldn't cause me a divorce I would seriously consider it. However, especially at this stage in the game, it's cheaper to keep her.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've always maintained that heat bakes people's brains and makes them violent and irrational. It goes a long way to explain the middle east problems, doesn't it?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Waaaaay back, when I was a young rookie, had an old Captain who (at the beginning of a weekend shift) would tell us, "Hope y'all are ready, boys. It's gonna be a crazy weekend." (He was usually right.)

Took me a few times to understand how he knew that ahead of time.

One day he explained it to me. "It's payday weekend, we have a change in the weather, welfare checks came in, and we have a full moon. We're gonna be busy!" And we usually were.

Also had a classroom teacher told me pretty much the same thing about students when I first started teaching. Any change in the weather, full moon, Fridays, etc. the kids are gonna be wild.

They were both correct.
    Of course, none of that affects my disposition. I keep myself under total control at all times.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We've had no in between in weather or activity. Here it's been either cold, rainy, and relatively mild in the way people behave or it's been hot, humid, with a 100% chance of extreme stupidity.

I'll let you know how my reactions go towards it. I just came off of my 3 months of afternoons and evenings where the heat wasn't too much of an issue for me personally. But Monday I'm starting my four weeks of days with weekends off right in the middle of all of this heat. The heat, coupled with my usual afternoon/evening mentality may just make for some interesting times on days.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    One day he explained it to me. "It's payday weekend, we have a change in the weather, welfare checks came in, and we have a full moon. We're gonna be busy!" And we usually were.
    I get to witness this firsthand every month.

It is true about the moon. There was a study about the increased frequency of seizures and the full moon. There is also a lot more empty pint bottles and dirty diapers in the parking lot. It must be the Walgreens next door to my store .
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    More crime against "people" in the summer....in cooler months crimes against property

nothing new about these stats....

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    SLIGHTLY NSFW

The heat also causes a common condition, known in the South as "Red A$$". This condition usually has no direct corelation to the color of the victim's buttocks, but it relates more to the state of mind.

"Red A$$" can be described as a general feeling of irritability and it causes the sufferer to posess a short temper, mean disposition, and the general urge to stomp the fool out of an offending indiviual or situation. This urge is usually negated by the fact that stomping the fool out of anything requires physical exertion which is undesireable under hot weather conditions. The inability to release such aggression through physical means creates a paradox which can result in a more severe case of the "Red A$$." This condition is also exacerbated when the sufferer is required to wear polyester and Kevlar, in combination with being required to leave the confines of an air-conditioned cruiser.

During such weather in the South, statments such as "What's wrong with ol' Jim-Bob?" "Aw, he's just hot and got a case of the "Red A$$", bless his heart." can frequently be heard.

The symptoms of "Red A$$" can usually be negated with a couple of hours of air conditioning, a cool pool or shower, and consumption several cold beverages.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Here, not so much. Even on the hottest days, it'll drop into the 50's at night with low humidity. Basically, every night is a relief from the heat.

When I worked in Virginia, I definitely noticed it, because even the nights were in the 80's.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I know it makes ME cranky!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    The heat isn't so bad up here. I was in Fairbanks over Memorial Day weekend and it got up in the mid 80s. It felt good. However I think the smoke (from the forest fires) makes people more cranky. In Anchorage, it's usually in the 60s. Upper 70s is hot!
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Heat makes people short tempered and mean to each other. Changes in weather just make people act nutty.

Paydays bring on binges. Which tend to simply exacerbate the above.

And if it it's too quite when the weather is warm and pleasant... Watch out. Something nasty is building.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

dot4x4 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Absolutely. Years ago when I worked in the ER I had an interesting conversations with one of the Doctors.

She explained to me that dehydration causes a mild to exstream change in brain chemical levels that have been measured on MRI machines and blood tests. This causes the affected person to feel "off balance" and causes them to be irritable and less likely to think about the consequences of your actions.

NOW... she went on to say that it hits mental health patients much harder as it causes them to lose the delicate balance provided by their medications. In some cases enough to completly nulify the medications even if they are taking them as they should be. As we all know, once "THEY" are off their medications within 12-36 hours family and friends start to notice "a change". And medics and LEO are not far behind on noticeing the "change".

Interestingly enough, dehydration can affect "brittle diabetics" just like getting drunk and some people are just mean drunks.

Conversation that stuck with me and its been probably 7-9 years since this conversation. It started with me making the comment that we will be getting alot of "5150's" this week as its going to be over 115 and their "little brains get boiled".

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    96 and humid here yesterday.Too me, it seems the heat brings out the "whiney" in people.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    We've already had 100 degrees here this past week. Looking at the news, violent crime is up.

Temps (both temperatures and tempers, and isn't it interesting that they seem to have the same root word?) won't drop till October. Maybe September if we get lucky.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information