Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Project

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Project

It was long overdue. My PD has given me some money to pimp out all of our tac team's precision rifles to something a little more user-friendly. We have 6 Rem 700Ps in .308.

The first thing I did was update our ammo. We have been shooting Black Hills .308 BTHP match for as long as I've been there. I wanted something with better terminal ballistics, and we found little zero shift when we tested the BH 168gr AMAX. Just a little tweaking, and the accuracy was very nearly the same (still shooting very decent groups). This year we are completely switching. I am still looking for a good barrier round, and was considering the Speer 168 gr bonded round. Any opinions and experience along with a place it can be found (or a good alternative) appreciated.

Next, the HS stocks were functional, but I didn't like the top-stuffers and wanted a DBM. Turns out to buy a badger system and have it inletted cost about as much as just getting McRee stocks. Since I wanted a better finish than the standard remington rustomatic, I got the stocks unfinished so we could just coat the whole rifle at once. One of our guys used to do custom car painting, so he's going to cerakote the rifles and stocks for us. I just got this one rebarreled with a shilen #7 countour cut to 20".

We are only rebarreling the one to see if there is any significant gain in accuracy vs the factory bbl (which we are cutting down to 20" on all of them, set back and rechambered). Oh - and it really looks kinda cool in the white with the the raw stock. Very terminator-ish.

My second question to anyone with cerakote experience - is the air-cure cerakote close durability-wise to the oven-cure stuff? Also, how important is it to sand blast the part first? Should I coat the bolt? Is there anything (except the trigger) that I should avoid coating?

Next is mags. We only got 1 AICS 10-rd mag per rifle. I plan on ordering more immediately. Is there any advantage to having the 5-rounders or should I stick to the 10-rounders? Also, are the Alpha mags worth a crap (they are slightly shorter for 10 rds, a little less expensive), or should I stick with AICS (which can be hard to find). How many mags should I have on hand? I was thinking one mag of the regular duty ammo, and one mag of barrier ammo.

Optics - right now we are straight up Luppy 3.5-10x40 Mk4 mil dot M1. All SFP. I wanted to play with FFP and mil turrets. My admin wanted to stick with Luppy since we have had good luck with them (none have ever had a single problem - yes I just knocked on wood), and the NF FFP mil-mil equivelent is quite a bit more expensive per copy. My concern with the FFP reticle is it becoming small when we dial it down to low power (which is common, since I want to see where everyone is as well as possible, and typically we don't end up that far away from the BG house anyway).

Now this question is just for LE guys - how is your experience with the crosshair issue on FFP scopes? Is it a non-issue that I'm creating in my mind? I'm not unhappy with our optics, but mil/mil and FFP seems to be all the rage, and I can't ignore that it is simpler to not have to convert from MOA to MIL.

Lastly, we switched to all TIS slip-cuff slings and Storm Tactical data books last year, and have been happy with both. We also just bought one Luppy 100yd rangefinder for every two-man team (we only tested the Luppy rx1000 and the outwardly similar Leica 1200 rangefinder, and had much better luck with the luppy - which surprised me).

That's my current project. Any opinions appreciated.
    Idiot

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    Oh - and it really looks kinda cool in the white with the the raw stock. Very terminator-ish.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    that is a purty rifle. I'm curious how it will shoot
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Gorgeous rifle!

Doc Roberts did some of your work for you on the ammo selection:

LE .308 Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

About midway down he gets into barrier blind stuff.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

I put a luppy Mk 4 M5 FFP 3.5-10x40 on it. Not sure if I'm sold on the FFP reticle for LE work. It gets awful small on low power, and when dialed up, the thicker stadia aren't as thick as the SFP M1's we have. Plus there is no illumination available yet. I asked Leupold about converting our old scopes to M5 knobs, and they said that won't be available until 2012. They have no time frame on the illuminated reticle for the current M5 FFP scope, so that's not going to happen soon.

I'm honestly considering going with NF so I can get mil/mil second focal plane and an illuminated reticle without stepping up to the higher cost of the FFP nightforce.

Right now we have six rifles being sand-blasted so we can cerakote them Tuesday. Then we'll assemble everything, take them to the range, and shoot them on the rest to see how they group (to take out as much human error as possible). I'm optomistic.
    Idiot

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    those look like something from Starship Troopers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    those look like something from Starship Troopers
    Wait until they are Cerakoted. They are going to be pure evil.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    O.K. O.K. I am going to be real mean here for a moment,dont really mean to BUT,I made one of those in the late 50s, yep,got an erector set for Christmas and I ....just kiddin,BUT some of the older peeps on here WILL have to admit....

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, it does look erector-set-ish too.

One of these days I need to build an f-class rifle and just chrome plate the whole damned thing just for giggles.
    Idiot

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    This finish is turning out great.

Very matte colored. Scraped a few inconspicuous spots - this cerakote is tough (smells horrible when baking, though). Very pleased with how this stuff turned out, even though it was a PITA to get the metal prep done right.

This is a base coat for all the rifles to protect the metal. We will rattle can them as needed to match the season / environment.

Here it is while being coated by our painter.

He is incredible. Here is a tank he is doing. All free-hand.

Wish we had the money for him to customize each rifle, but rattle-canning them to the environment makes more sense.
    Idiot

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wow.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Where I'm from you can have a rifle like that too. If you paid for every bit of it.

Amazing. They look fantastic!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

He is incredible. Here is a tank he is doing. All free-hand.
    Ok, I will chime in on this. Where this chick's hand is, and the shape of it, looks like she'll be tickling someone's privates on those long rides.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Ok, I will chime in on this. Where this chick's hand is, and the shape of it, looks like she'll be tickling someone's privates on those long rides.

You are so cynical. She may just be checking for a hernia. 'cough' 'cough'

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Maybe that's the point!!

Still not done, actually. She is going to be holding a flame in that hand. And you don't want flames near your junk on a long ride.

Oh, yeah - and the rifles are done. All six. We go shoot them today.

Idiot

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Let us know how they shoot. I know you can shoot so I figure we can expect half inch groups at 500 yards
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe that's the point!!

Still not done, actually. She is going to be holding a flame in that hand. And you don't want flames near your junk on a long ride.
    Duh, thanks. I recognize her now. Liz from Hellboy.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Well the rifles are more accurate than I am. 5 shot groups ranged from a bit less than 1/2 moa to 3/4 moa. I'm relatively certain that had more to do with the shooter than the rifle. It has been over 100 every day this month and fatigue sets in quick. I'm very happy worth the ergos of this setup, and the detachable mags are so great.

Now if I can just get atk to send me that barrier ammo!

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Final camo on one of the rifles. This looks great.
    Idiot

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Looks like there's moss growing on it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information