Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Neighbors who can't get along...

Some of the comments in the Harassment with the assistance of the Police. thread brought this to mind, and I figured I'd start another thread, with a little different focus. Like that thread, I'll keep it out here in the open so that people can see some of what goes on, or add their input.

We all have those folks who just can't get along -- and often they live next door to each other. And they go well, well out of their way to piss each other off or to object to something their neighbor did. What are some of the stupidest, most inane or insane reasons neighbors have called the cops in your experience? Or that they've done to piss each other off...

Like the guy who called because his neighbor's kid in a cul-de-sac got a remote control car "stuck" under his car. No damage to either the real car or the fake car, but they couldn't even get along enough to pull the toy out. Or the guy who complained about the tree work being done on his neighbor's trees dropping some branches on his yard (yes, the tree could have fallen on his house if it hadn't been taken care of) -- but refused to allow the workers on the property to collect the branches. Or the guy playing music so loud it was painful just to annoy his neighbor...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've often thought of putting a folding chair in my truck to pull out on these sorts of calls. This way while they are both foaming at the mouth at one another I can pull the chair out, sit down, and watch the show in some comfort. When they bitch, I'll tell them my Sergeant is on his way. He just has to stop at the store to pick up some chips, drinks, and of course a folding chair for himself.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    (not my call, but heard it go out)

One neighbor called because the other neighbor put grass clippings on her driveway - and wanted him written a littering citation... even went to the point of video taping the "incident"...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    "What are some of the stupidest, most inane or insane reasons neighbors have called the cops in your experience?"

I’d like to share my own experience a couple of years ago with being one of those people who couldn’t get along with their neighbors. In the end, I learned a lesson on what‘s important….

Our neighborhood was plagued by a teenage neighbor and his friends who had a garage band and a skateboard ramp. The neighbor kid would be on the ramp all hours of the day and night (made me wonder if the kid ever ate). We started filing complaints with the police. They would come and tell the kid to quiet down. He didn’t listen. Our neighborhood was getting very frustrated as we had tried everything we could think of to get him to be quiet.

One one occasion, a neighbor called the police again and this time the deputy came out to speak with her. The deputy listened to her complaint then went over to the offending party and listened to their side. I was at my neighbor’s house at the time, partly because I wanted to hear what the deputy’s advice would be. He came back over to my neighbor’s house and told us some of what was said. The deputy basically said they have a right to make some noise but not after certain hours and they were told to have some consideration for their neighbors. We were hoping he would stop completely.

It was more the ramp that annoyed us, especially at 3 a.m. While we weren’t exactly happy that there wouldn’t be any more noise from the ramp, we were glad the offending neighbors got a talking to from the police.

Just before the deputy left, he chatted with us, telling us how the weekend had been going for the police. There had been two car accidents involving teenagers the night before, just fifteen minutes apart. Both teenagers had been about sixteen years old. There were fatalities, with alcohol being a factor. The deputy pointed out that at least the offending neighbor’s parents knew where the kid was. We agreed. We were sad that there had been a loss of life and at such an early age. The deputy said the department was having a hard time handling it. He seemed very quiet as he told us about the events. A day or so later we read about the two fatalities. One of the teens who died had been burned in one of the two accidents.

Thinking back to what the deputy had said, about how at least the parents knew where their kid was, hit home. At least this neighbor kid was in the care of his parents. They knew what he was doing….making noise. There are two teenagers, whose parents didn’t know where their children were, who will be silent forever.

I stopped complaining about the kid. He took up skateboarding again and makes noise. It may not be a sweet sound to me but I bet it is to his parents. The neighbor kid continued to play with his garage band. They even raised money to send to a charity.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We have two neighbors in town who frequently call on each other, fighting for a 2'x5' patch of grass on the city owned boulevard. Their argument basically consists of who is responsible for maintaining it.

We probably have roughly 100 calls over the past three years between the two of them. Everything from stealing dirt from the patch, raking grass seed into the patch, raking grass seed out, stepping on the patch, removing utilities spray paint marks, etc.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Stupid Neighbor Complaints:

"He put his garbage can on the street on my side of the property line."

"I think my neighbor is digging small holes in my yard at night." "Sir, that's an armadillo." "Why is he not digging in my neighbor's yard?" "Sir, I guess you have better roots or grubs or whatever it is they eat, I'll get animal control to come talk to you."

"There's a car parked on the street in front of my neighbors house." "Sir, is it there frequently?" "No, just last night and today." "Sir, the car has our of state plates, don't you think it's a visitor?" (We do have an on street parking ordinance. It allows for occasional street parking for parties or visitors)

"Those new people in the neighborhood have teens that walk around the street at night." (It was about 8:30 at night, new neighbors were minority and I figured that was the real problem that the neighbor had.)
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I went to a call where the one neighbor was complaining another parked their car next to the caller's house. The caller planted flowers in the city right of way between the sidewalk and the curb. The caller felt that the city street along this flower bed belonged to them and resented when the neighbor parked a car there. So that afternoon the caller parked in the neighbor's yard.

No amount of logic or explaining was good enough for the caller. I finally told the neighbor they could call a tow truck at the vehicle owner's expense, to get rid of the car parked in his yard. The caller moved her car.

Idiot.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    We have two neighbors in town who frequently call on each other, fighting for a 2'x5' patch of grass on the city owned boulevard. Their argument basically consists of who is responsible for maintaining it.

We probably have roughly 100 calls over the past three years between the two of them. Everything from stealing dirt from the patch, raking grass seed into the patch, raking grass seed out, stepping on the patch, removing utilities spray paint marks, etc.

RoundUp:

Not only does it kill weeds, but pretty much anything that relies on photosynthesis. Note that this product is meant for 27 watering cans. You pour that on the area you are talking about and nothing grows there till the second coming.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtlady View Post
    At least this neighbor kid was in the care of his parents. They knew what he was doing….making noise. There are two teenagers, whose parents didn’t know where their children were, who will be silent forever.
    perfect way to put that one into perspective - I try to explain that to folks who complain on their neighbors' kids being loud - most of the time they don't get it... they're home, not out causing trouble, or getting hurt, they're HOME when the creepy crawlies are out and about
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    perfect way to put that one into perspective - I try to explain that to folks who complain on their neighbors' kids being loud - most of the time they don't get it... they're home, not out causing trouble, or getting hurt, they're HOME when the creepy crawlies are out and about
    Yeah, I call that Felony Childhood. "There's kids hanging out doing ________ here." No wonder teenagers end up in the woods drinking and having sex, they get the cops called on them everywhere else.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Old agency: Woman grew tired of her neighbors porch light shining into her bedroom window across the street. So, naturally, instead of maybe buying curtains, she buys a freakin construction site light tower and points it at the neighbors house all night for days until they call. Luckily, it also blinded traffic coming out of the neighborhood, so I had a good reason to give her to turn it off.

Worst (here): 5 year old blind and mentally disabled kid lives in a townhome complex. Old lady in the adjacent townhome calls every time he has a fit, fully understanding that hes mentally disabled and the mom can't just tell him to stop it.

But the kicker, this poor kids favorite thing to do is lay on his belly on a skateboard, and push himself down the sidewalk. One evening, he's doing so along the sidewalk in front of the row of townhomes, mom's sitting on the front step watching. Kids skateboard comes to a stop, so the kid reaches up, and happens to find the front bumper of the old woman's car, which is parked in a parking space. Being blind and mentally disabled, he of course doesn't know its the old woman's car, but knows its something sturdy enough to pull himself up with and turn around to roll back the other way.

You'd think the boy lit the woman's car on fire. She calls us and goes outside screaming at the kid for "vandalising" her car. By the time i was done with the call, i had almost arrested her for yelling at the poor kid like she did.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

I had a neighbor dispute that went so bad that 1 used round-up in water balloons & lobbed them over the fence.....dead grass explosions scattered throughout a manicured lawn is not pretty.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    RoundUp:

Not only does it kill weeds, but pretty much anything that relies on photosynthesis. Note that this product is meant for 27 watering cans. You pour that on the area you are talking about and nothing grows there till the second coming.
    Hmm..you didn't happen to be at Toomer's Corner a couple months ago did ya?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One neighbor would habitually stop in the road to talk to another. A third neighbor would have trouble passing if traffic were coming. Yelling, complaining and calling police ensued. It ultimately ended in a fist fight that lasted at least 15 minutes until we got there. Both parties are in their 60's.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Makes my neighbors who go hot-boxing in the old car in their backyard seem positively angelic.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    "Those new people in the neighborhood have teens that walk around the street at night." (It was about 8:30 at night, new neighbors were minority and I figured that was the real problem that the neighbor had.)
    I love that sort of crap... Uh, what a terrible thing for kids to be OUTSIDE and actually WALKING AROUND, otherwise minding their own business. Or in the park, sitting on benches...

Meanwhile... that guy (often pointedly non-minority) walking up to people's doors, and trying to open them... or rummaging through all the cars on the street? Nah, we don't call that one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    There's a car parked on the street in front of my neighbors house." "Sir, is it there frequently?" "No, just last night and today." "Sir, the car has our of state plates, don't you think it's a visitor?" (We do have an on street parking ordinance. It allows for occasional street parking for parties or visitors)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I went to a call where the one neighbor was complaining another parked their car next to the caller's house. The caller planted flowers in the city right of way between the sidewalk and the curb. The caller felt that the city street along this flower bed belonged to them and resented when the neighbor parked a car there. So that afternoon the caller parked in the neighbor's yard.

No amount of logic or explaining was good enough for the caller. I finally told the neighbor they could call a tow truck at the vehicle owner's expense, to get rid of the car parked in his yard. The caller moved her car.

Idiot.
    We had a street that just did not get along with each other. Especially with one person. (Fortunately, they've been getting on in years. Ever been HAPPY to go on a natural death run?) She was another of the ones convinced that she owns the curb in front of her house, and nobody can park there without permission.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

APB Guest
    On the other hand, there are times where it's necessary to call, and it's important to know where that line is. We have a neighbor who on two occasions has felt it necessary to scream threateningly at my wife, telling her "I don't want to see you in this neighborhood again" and other things because our dog peed near his property. On the second instance of this recently, he followed her back to our house.

Now, said gentleman is of Middle Eastern descent, and seems to my impression to have been raised with a very male-centric view on things, so to speak, but I don't take kindly to people threatening my wife. In the interests of documentation, and not shitting where I eat, one of the guys I work with took a stop by there while on duty, and informed him not to do that again. The guy was a jerk to him, as well. What a shock.

Could I have taken care of this personally? Perhaps, but I felt that prudence dictated letting our agency handle it. We also now have documentation that it's occurred twice in a state where a third act can (and will, in our case) enable the harassee to obtain a civil restraining order against the harasser.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Hmm..you didn't happen to be at Toomer's Corner a couple months ago did ya?
    Sounds like a job for Updyke Tree and Stump Removal Service.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We've had our fair share. It's ranged from "He mowed part of my yard" to "their kids' ball came over into mine".

I'm lucky enough to live in a great neighborhood, but we had a short period where a neighbor started seeing one of our worst frequent flyers shortly after her divorce and before she moved out.

He tried a couple of times to be friendly with me, but got ignored. My wife was ready to kill me with as much as I paced the windows everytime he was over. After several times being blatently ignored, and playing with my malinois and his bite sleeve in the back yard, the guy didn't really care to be seen anywhere close to my yard.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I haven't had TOO much trouble with the neighbors here, at least not once hubby and I set up a short archery range in the side yard. We drew a bit of a crowd of the "inner city" types, who quickly realized that we had really decent accuracy and the whole thing was basically silent. Then the swords came out for sparring practice and the whole lot of them buggered off. Quickly. We were just having an afternoon of fun, but since then we've been given a pretty wide berth.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information