Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

This is pretty awesome

"When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It really really is Just think if SPD could print out new stocks all in one piece for his project.

And while you can get into the home built 3D printer scene for several hundred bucks using a MakerBot kit the results aren't nearly so precise. Of course you can print in chocolate with the extruded head style like that.

But then there's what industry is doing

FILTON, just outside Bristol, is where Britain’s fleet of Concorde supersonic airliners was built. In a building near a wind tunnel on the same sprawling site, something even more remarkable is being created. Little by little a machine is “printing” a complex titanium landing-gear bracket, about the size of a shoe, which normally would have to be laboriously hewn from a solid block of metal. Brackets are only the beginning. The researchers at Filton have a much bigger ambition: to print the entire wing of an airliner.

To make the same part with additive manufacturing, EADS starts with a titanium powder. The firm’s 3D printers spread a layer about 20-30 microns (0.02-0.03mm) thick onto a tray where it is fused by lasers or an electron beam. Any surplus powder can be reused. Some objects may need a little machining to finish, but they still require only 10% of the raw material that would otherwise be needed. Moreover, the process uses less energy than a conventional factory. It is sometimes faster, too.

There are other important benefits. Most metal and plastic parts are designed to be manufactured, which means they can be clunky and contain material surplus to the part’s function but necessary for making it. This is not true of 3D printing. “You only put material where you need to have material,” says Andy Hawkins, lead engineer on the EADS project. The parts his team is making are more svelte, even elegant. This is because without manufacturing constraints they can be better optimised for their purpose. Compared with a machined part, the printed one is some 60% lighter but still as sturdy.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Um. Wow.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Yeah, it is cool, but can it cook?

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Nice toy. The cost of ink and powder would be astronomical, not to mention the printer itself.

Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    Yeah, it is cool, but can it cook?

I suppose it could if you could replicate a microwave oven.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I tried to open your link and got a virus Its being a total pain to get rid of too. I'm probly gonna have to wipe HD and reinstall.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now that's strange. When I clicked on it I was fine.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    While theory and speculation is good fun, working kit is even better. Link

Engineers at the University of Southampton in the UK have designed, printed, and sent skyward the world’s first aircraft manufactured almost entirely via 3-D printing technology. The UAV--dubbed SULSA (Southampton University Laser Sintered Aircraft)--is powered by an electric motor that is pretty much the only part of the aircraft not created via additive manufacturing methods.

It’s no slouch of a UAV either. SULSA boasts a 6.5-foot wingspan, a top speed of about 100 miles per hour, and is nearly silent while cruising. Created on an EOS EOSINT P730 nylon laser sintering machine, its wings, hatches, control surfaces--basically everything that makes up its structure and aerodynamic controls--was custom printed to snap together. It requires no fasteners and no tools to assemble.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Technology is a scary thing.

Thread Information