Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Does your agency have an off duty Internet usage policy?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's restrictive.

2 10.53%
  • Yes, but it's generic to stay out of trouble.

4 21.05%
  • No policy regarding Internet use.

12 63.16%
  • What's an Interwebz?

1 5.26%

Thread: Internet Policy

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Internet Policy

My current department is stuck in 1959 and is unaware the Internet exists. Except IT who block YouTube and other time wasters from the work network.

My last department had a guy upload a cruiser video to Facebook. After that they instituted a "Social Media" policy. We couldn't identify ourselves as members of the department on the internet. No pics of uniforms or equipment and you couldn't state you worked there.

There weren't any restrictions on what you did off duty as long as you weren't identifying yourself as a member of the department.

What is the Internet use policy, on or off duty, that you guys have if any?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    My current department is stuck in 1959 and is unaware the Internet exists.
    Ah, the good old days....

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    My current department is stuck in 1959 and is unaware the Internet exists. Except IT who block YouTube and other time wasters from the work network.

My last department had a guy upload a cruiser video to Facebook. After that they instituted a "Social Media" policy. We couldn't identify ourselves as members of the department on the internet. No pics of uniforms or equipment and you couldn't state you worked there.

There weren't any restrictions on what you did off duty as long as you weren't identifying yourself as a member of the department.

What is the Internet use policy, on or off duty, that you guys have if any?
    That pretty much covers our policy too. Ours may be a tad more restrictive than yours.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

krauty is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    That pretty much covers our policy too. Ours may be a tad more restrictive than yours.

Same here

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't have a specific internet policy for our time off duty, but we do (like everyone else) have a policy related to how we act and behave off duty.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Our policy on social network sites is pretty much common sense and can be boiled down to one sentence: Leave most anything other than the most generic post about the job off your page.

Internet at work policy is pretty much handled by the security program. It won't let you go to sites deemed inappropriate. Most social networking sites, HULU, and most game sites are allowed. Every once in a while IT will come down on someone for spending too much time on them but not often.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    The department doesn't have a separate policy, but the town has enough of a catch-all to hang someone if they have to. It reads (with a little modification to keep the name out):
    The "the place that I work" understands that social networking and Internet services have become a
    common form of communication in the workplace and among stakeholders and residents.
    Social media sites are online communities of people or organizations that share interests
    and/or activities and use a wide variety of Internet technology to make the interaction a rich
    and robust experience. Employees that choose to participate in social media sites as a "place that I work"
    employee shall adhere to the following guidelines.
    1. All "place that I work" policies, rules, regulations and standards of conduct apply to employees that
    engage in social media activities while conducting "place that I work" business. Use of a "place that I work" e-mail
    address and communicating in an official capacity constitutes conducting "place that I work" business.
    2. "place that I work" employees shall request to establish a social networking site from the Department
    Head, the Public Information Officer and the IT Department if the employee intends to
    use the site to conduct "place that I work" business.
    3. Departments have the option of allowing employees to participate in existing social media
    sites as part of their job duties. Employees must get approval to participate in other social
    media sites as representatives of the "place that I work" from the Department Head and the "place that I work"
    Manager. Employees participating in other social media sites must adhere to the
    guidelines established within this regulation.
    4. Protect personal information, the privacy of residents and the information the "place that I work" holds.
    Follow all privacy protections laws, i.e. HIPPA, and protect sensitive and confidential
    "place that I work" information.
    5. Follow all copyright laws, public record laws, retention laws, fair use and financial
    disclosure laws and any other laws that might apply to the "place that I work" or functional area.
    6. Do not cite vendors, suppliers, clients, residents, co-workers or other stakeholders without
    their approval.
    7. The employee must make it clear that the opinions expressed on social media sites are
    their own and are not speaking on behalf of the "the place that I work". If content is published
    on any website outside of the "the place that I work" and is related to the work the employee
    performs or subjects associated with the "place that I work", employees must use a disclaimer such as
    this: The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the "place that I work"s
    position or opinions.
    8. Do not use ethnic slurs, profanity, personal insults or engage in any conduct that would not
    be acceptable in the "place that I work"s workplace. Avoid comments or topics that may be
    considered objectionable or inflammatory.
    9. If an employee identifies themselves as a "place that I work" employee, ensure that profiles and related
    content are consistent with how the employee intends to present themselves to colleagues,
    citizens and other stakeholders.
    10. Correct mistakes, and do not alter previous posts without indicating a change has been
    made. Frame any comments or opposing views in a positive manner.
    11. Add value to the "the place that I work" through your interaction. Provide worthwhile
    information and perspective.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    We don't have a specific internet policy for our time off duty, but we do (like everyone else) have a policy related to how we act and behave off duty.
    Same here. We've gotten emails sent out to the department reminding us to watch what we post on social media sites, but that's been about it. I recently got rid of of a couple FB pics of me in uniform and deleted where I worked out of the Info page. Even with strict privacy settings, I felt some of that stuff needed to go and I also changed up my last name a bit to keep people from searching for me.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My current agency really doesn't have anything other then the on duty use of computers.

My old one recommended that no one have social networking sites. We were prohibited from posting anything regarding work also. Didn't matter to me. I didn't have any of those webpage profiles and still don't.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

A3148 is offline Office Ninja
    Verified LEO
    We have the standard rules of conduct and the fact that you can be terminated for violating them. We looked at some model policies that would cover off duty facebook and other social media stuff but when it came down to it we just went with if you shouldn’t do or say it in the public you shouldn’t post it anywhere so the conduct unbecoming stands as the policy.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    No internet policy, nothing blocked. Other than dispatch catching some flak for to much facebook (it was interfering with work) there hasn't been a problem.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    My department policy is so strict I'm not supposed to discuss it. I kid not. Let's just say I had to change my username here on O/R because it was easy to determine who I worked for and the department took notice. They didn't see anything wrong with my posts but I was asked to request to change my username.

Now the department has loosened up a little. It's rather easy to find a couple hundred of us on Facebook, but it is always possible to get wrote up for mentioning the department, mentioning who we work for, or showing pictures of us or others in uniform or showing pictures of department vehicles and equipment.

That said, most of you know who I work for, so you guys know I find the policy a bit archaic at times.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I also changed up my last name a bit to keep people from searching for me.
    I was wondering about that, I figured you just got married and took his name
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    I was wondering about that, I figured you just got married and took his name
    LOL

We don't live in Kentucky
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information