Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

Brits Healther than Yanks

I just read in the paper that the Brits are far much more healther than us Yanks. Americans have a much higher rate of heart disease, cancer, etc. Plus we spend about $5200 per person more on heathcare than the English. So I guess we won't be rid of Longtail that easily! j/k
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That's ridiculous, me and the 3 pounds of chinese food I just ate want to argue about it!

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Oh yeah? Well, that's the way we do it in America! It's the right way, and we like it like that! So there!
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Allstar is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beans43
    I just read in the paper that the Brits are far much more healther than us Yanks. Americans have a much higher rate of heart disease, cancer, etc. Plus we spend about $5200 per person more on heathcare than the English. So I guess we won't be rid of Longtail that easily! j/k
    Well the say it's because we have good healthy food, plus the goverment, is always pressing for health life styles, as more exercise, less fast food, Us Scots love are fresh home made food, soups etc. I dont know if this is the same for England but in Scotland people dont have to pay for healthcare untill there 16 years old or less the stay on at school or college they don't have to pay until they are finished or 19 years, Hope I am making sense

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    I get the impression that Americans dont eat as healthily as europeans in general but I would have thought off hand that you defo smoke a hell of a lot less and no one binge drinks more than the Brits.

Healthcare is mostly free across europe so thats why you pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

If we could get rid of the HMO's and the doctor's price gouging here, we'd be in far better shape finacially than now. Free healthcare would be something I'd like to see even though, as with every system, there are problems. As far as fast food... oh hang on, I'm starved. Let me answer this after I get back from McDonalds.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'd like to see free everything, but it's not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Garda
    I get the impression that Americans dont eat as healthily as europeans in general but I would have thought off hand that you defo smoke a hell of a lot less and no one binge drinks more than the Brits.
    Binge drinking is a big problem here though I like the smoking ban it's good to walk into a place without smoke, thats a other big problem here to, but free healthcare is good,

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Nothing in life is free You're paying taxes out the ying yang for that extra special care

We're still paying taxes out the yin-yang and we don't have free healthcare to show for it. I think they've got it right.

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Nah, our taxes are nothing like they would be for free health care. You'd be amazed! Quality would go down as well. Which explains why everyone comes here for advanced procedures, etc. Money is a motivator, and if they can't gouge people and insurance companies, lots of potential docs find other lines of work.

Supporting Member Lvl 2

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I get the impression that europeans get way more casual exercise walking from place to place and so forth, especially since older cities tend to be so much more pedestrian friendly. In a city like Dallas, you can't hardly walk anywhere for a number of reasons. But if you could, even just from time to time, I imagine we'd be much healthier irrespective of our diets.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Nothing in life is free You're paying taxes out the ying yang for that extra special care
    Ha I dont have to pay taxes untill I finish full time education, But you are right nothings free, they always get you some how, But the health service here is crap, honestly, you need a an emergances (sp) appointmant the earlyest they can give this like the end for the next week

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Nah, our taxes are nothing like they would be for free health care. You'd be amazed! Quality would go down as well. Which explains why everyone comes here for advanced procedures, etc. Money is a motivator, and if they can't gouge people and insurance companies, lots of potential docs find other lines of work.
    I saw an interesting quote a while back...

"If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free!"

That said I can't say I'm surprised about the health comparisons.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Allstar
    Ha I dont have to pay taxes untill I finish full time education,
    I guess that depends how much you earn in any pert-time job you might have. Don't forget indirect taxes like VAT (sales tax) too.

Quote Originally Posted by Garda
    no one binge drinks more than the Brits
    And you're Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    I guess that depends how much you earn in any pert-time job you might have. Don't forget indirect taxes like VAT (sales tax) too.
    Yeah but I am only 17 and don't to pay until 18, or I do believe 19 if you stay in full time education, but could be wrong on that, I have a job thats pays min wage, not enough to keep you going for a week.

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Allstar
    Yeah but I am only 17 and don't to pay until 18, or I do believe 19 if you stay in full time education, but could be wrong on that, I have a job thats pays min wage, not enough to keep you going for a week.
    Trust me, you're wrong on that. Tax has no minimum age limit.

Trust me, you're wrong on that. Tax has no minimum age limit.
    Well I have never had to pay yet but I am sure they will be wanting some, sometime soon, but the NHS is not that good, I rather go pravite when that time comes, you until months for appointments and you get one and then they cancel at the last min, I know it's not all like that but it's not good

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Have to both agree and disagree. We have private health services just like you guys but we also have free. If you have insurance or you have the cash you can obtain the services with the speed and skills equal to any other. As for taxes, well thats reality the world over isnt it? The government doesnt actually have its own money, its all our money one way or the other. Vuba actually has the highest doctor to population ratio and also the least waiting lists and still manages to have a good reputation and be completely free. Of course I also heard they have the highest rate of doctors emigrating as well.

And you're Irish?
    Ha Ha Ha, I figured that would get a response. Its not binge drinking if you do it all the time
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information