Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nerve Injury?

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Nerve Injury?

Had to wake up a drunk and fight with him this morning. I had to torque the shit out of his wrist with my cuffs, holding them in my left hand. My left ring finger has been numb since, like when you sleep on your arm. There's no swelling or pain and I have full range of motion. I figure I tweaked a nerve in my finger or something. Any thoughts?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't know what might have happened, but maybe you should see a doctor about it, just in case it's a problem that could be more effectively treated with early intervention. We wouldn't want you to have to start posting without being able to use the 2, @, w, s, and x keys!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I presume you had your ring on? It probably put a ton of pressure on a nerve as well as cut off circulation just enough to give it some time or trouble perfusing.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Let sleeping drunks lie. (JK)

I knew a guy got a nerve tweaked in handcuff training. Something about his ulnar nerve. It made his fingers numb but he was the cuffee, not the cuffer. It stayed that way a couple of months.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You're probably going to end-up as a chicken-winged gimp now.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't wear my ring and the dude was sleeping in a taxi. I had to get him out. All the sternum rub did was piss him off.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    You're probably going to end-up as a chicken-winged gimp now.
    Just like you. Greaaaat....

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You can have a temporary nerve impingemet like that. I've had it, it goes away.

You need to go see the doc if it turns white or is paler than the rest of your hand.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Gotta be careful with the tendons in your hand. May want to have it checked out just in case. When I jacked my thumb up last year, I was told that if the tendons running on the top and bottom of your fingers are injured, you'll be fine. If the ones on the sides of the finger, the ones that stabilize the knuckle from the sides are injured, it's usually career ending and at the very least, you need surgery and major rehab.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    From Finger Injuries Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention by eMedicineHeatlh.com

Nerve injuries

• Sensation to the finger is supplied by two nerves, one running along each side of the finger.
    • Damaging the nerve can cause numbness on the side of the finger supplied by the nerve.

When to Seek Medical Care

Because the hand is a finely coordinated tool that must function correctly for so many everyday activities, even a relatively minor finger injury can lead to some loss of function. If in doubt, consult a doctor. Also contact a doctor if the patient is not sure whether they have had your tetanus immunization in the last 10 years. Always see medical care if the following occur:

• If there is severe pain or deformity
    • If there is uncontrolled bleeding
    • If there is numbness (loss of sensation)
    • If the finger is pale or bluish in color
    • If there are exposed bones or tendons
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    The only advice I can offer is to get it checked out. I hope it's feeling better soon.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Hope it wasn't "your trigger finger."

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Get it checked out -- but you might try icing it tonight, as well as an anti-inflammatory. May just be some swelling pressing the nerve...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Since it happened at work, I'd absolutely go in, along with doing a first report of injury if you haven't already. It's a work related injury, make sure your employer covers it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I told my sgt tonight about it. I'll come in on Monday and fill out the workers comp paperwork if I need to get it checked.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I told my sgt tonight about it. I'll come in on Monday and fill out the workers comp paperwork if I need to get it checked.

Hope you heal quickly.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

Scratch the "if I need to get it checked". Do it anyways. That way if it deteriorates months later, you're covered. If you don't do the paperwork, and it gets worse to the point that it needs care, workers comp will tell you to shove it if you hadn't done the paperwork now.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Scratch the "if I need to get it checked". Do it anyways. That way if it deteriorates months later, you're covered. If you don't do the paperwork, and it gets worse to the point that it needs care, workers comp will tell you to shove it if you hadn't done the paperwork now.
    Very possible.

A co-worker of mine never got a knee injury covered after slipping on ice one night.

He slipped and felt some pain in his knee, but felt it was just a bruise and would go away shortly. Then a day, two days, three days went by...and the pain never went away.

I can't recall what his actual injury was, but a week after his injury he filled out his first report of injury and went to the doctor. He had to fight for workers comp coverage for several months to get his medical bills paid because he waited a week before doing his first report of injury. His fall was even caught on one of our dash cams and workers comp still fought it out.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I say, if it happened on duty.....file the right paperwork and go see a doctor regardless, on the dept's bill. Or at least document the injury in whatever way required, just in case. If its nothing, no big deal. If its something serious, then you can be covered under workers comp. It would suck if you blew it off thinking it was a big nothing that would go away, only to find out its serious....too late. Does your dept have a time limit for filing an on duty injury?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    One more thing to consider... I know a guy who ended up with permanent damage to a nerve in his wrist because he figured "it'll get better in a couple days." By the time he got checked out by a doctor, the nerve had retracted deep into his arm, and couldn't be reattached.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information