Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Electric Patrol Veh?

How long before the admin weenies at your dept think this is a good idea? I don't see it any time soon for patrol use. At least it's too cold here, the batteries won't last long enough.
    At a test-drive expo in Boston, Nissan showed off its all-electric Leaf vehicle, available in Massachusetts early next year. It's quiet, comfortable and emissions free. But there are limitations drivers might find tough to handle.One example is a driving range of 100 miles. In the new language of alternative energy driving: "range anxiety.""Certainly there is a legitimate anxiety," said IHS Automotive analyst Rebecca Lindland. "You can't bring a little gas can to your car. You have to get to a charging station," she said.Irwin Pless of Brookline had just taken a Nissan Leaf test-drive."Obviously it won't work for anyone who lives 50 miles from where they work or wherever they go frequently," said Pless. "But if you only go 25 to 30 miles away, it's fine," he said.Now the state is stepping into the future. In the fall it will install 105 charging stations in communities across the state, plus the MBTA and Massport."The first quarter of next year is when all-electric vehicles will hit the market, and we want to be ready," said Mark Sylvia, commissioner of the Department of Energy Resources. "If we build it, they will come."

More here: Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mone...#ixzz1TboJK8JQ
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Foot patrol.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Foot patrol.
    Yup
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Imagine what the range would be rolling code. 20 miles?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Imagine what the range would be rolling code. 20 miles?
    and 25 1/2 mph
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Is there a patch cord to hook up to your taser?

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Tesla motors has some pretty impressive tech. They are about to role out their sedan (Model S) and are looking toward a crossover type vehicle over next couple years. Last I heard they are being financed by Chrysler. Its a long way from being police capable but who knows in the next 20 years.

The model S does 0-60 in 5.6 secs (faster than the Dodge Charger) and goes 300 miles on a charge. Check it out here... pretty interesting.
    Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    I have been keeping a eye on Tesla. They have a dealership in west lost Angeles. Their coupe is around $70k and I am patiently waiting for the s model, 4 door sedan, which I plan to purchase. They
    hope to be more reasonably priced.

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I last heard they were going to start around $50,000 but don't quote me on that. I think they have a dealership in Chicago, and am going to wait and see for when the AWD model comes out seeing as it snows alot here. That and I have to see if I would even fit in it.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    July 1, Logan Utah : Suppose an electric vehicle could just go on and on, without stopping to recharge batteries. ... But what if the electricity could literally jump from the highway to the car? USU researchers have managed to get 5 kilowatts of electricity to jump up to 10 inches with 90 percent efficiency. ... "We're getting efficiencies that are comparable to the same efficiency you would get with a plug-in electric charger," Israelsen said. The next hurdle is to get the technology to work with a moving electric vehicle at, say, 70 mph.

If transmitting coils were placed under the pavement every few feet or so, an electric vehicle could, in theory, operate much like a slot car, drawing power from the pavement and traveling many miles without stopping to recharge

Inductive charging is nothing new, many of you are probably already using it in some form. A type growing in popularity is the powermat for cell phones.

What's interesting is the efficiency they're getting it up to over a workable distance for automotive use. Long way to go here still and I'm not a subscriber to this slot car idea, yet for something to chew on I looked for the power required to maintain velocity of a known car, mostly to overcome air resistance. You like Corvettes? Good, that's the math case I'll use.

At 60 mph, the total required horsepower to overcome this drag and maintain a constant speed is 164.7 * 88 / 550 or 26.4 horsepower. (at 70 mph it is 40.9 a considerably higher drag load!) A horsepower is equivalent to 726 watts so this is 19,700 watts of needed (or usable) output. In one hour of driving at that constant speed, we would therefore ACTUALLY use up an amount of energy equal to 19,700 watt-hours or 19.7 kWh. (at 70 mph, 30.5 kW, and at 40 mph, 6.7 kW).

Assuming they somehow got these inductive chargers to maintain 5kW with a moving vehicle that's still not quite enough to maintain 40mph with a Vette. Say they could bump it up to 7500W (the low setting on a spaceheater for comparison) then you'd have something for city driving, though you still would only be maintaining, not recharging the onboard battery. Worse the system would require having induction charging all along the paved street. As science fiction, fine, as poly sci, horrifying to me.

Ponder this with me. Instead of making the entire roadway an inductive charger increase the power transfer substantially so small sections could be used to top up the battery intermittently. Say 100kW and it's only in the 200yards of road facing each red light? Automatically engaged and billed, driver has no interaction. Don't have the city maintain it, have Exxon Mobile, Bob's Zippy Power or the guy who owns your local corner gas station contract with the city/state to maintain that section of road while they use it to recharge customer's cars as they drive over and sit in traffic. Now instead of burning tax money to try to force the motorist to adopt a different technology we save some highway money while allowing a market service to grow at its own pace in the bargain. No more icy approaches to intersections being a side benefit.

Of course this charging will be used all over private property. Home charging, parking lots, even the drive-thru. I'm just looking at an alternative vision for public roadways especially since we started at a patrol car example.

Still a long way from the Alaskan Bush, but imagine patrolling a municipal area with your Crown Vic of the future. You start out with its 300 mile range battery topped and it stays topped up as you drive. When you need full go juice you draw hard off those fresh internal batteries. How'd that be?

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We might be heading that way. Hybrids have made their way to patrol.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/pr_2009_014.shtml

"never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Can you imagine how the government will tax you for induction charging? GPS trackers, toll booths, electricity usage meters in the cars that upload to base stations...
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Thread Information