Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

No child left behind?

I've got news for you. All sorts of children are being left behind.

TITLE I—IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC
    ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED
    SEC. 101. IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED.
    Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of
    1965 (20 U.S.C. 6301 et seq.) is amended to read as follows:

‘‘TITLE I—IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC
    ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED
    ‘‘SEC. 1001. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
    ‘‘The purpose of this title is to ensure that all children have
    a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality
    education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging
    State academic achievement standards and state academic assessments.
    This purpose can be accomplished by—
    ‘‘(1) ensuring that high-quality academic assessments,
    accountability systems, teacher preparation and training, curriculum,
    and instructional materials are aligned with challenging
    State academic standards so that students, teachers,
    20 USC 6301.
    VerDate 11-MAY-2000 14:55 Mar 26, 2002 Jkt 099139 PO 00110 Frm 00015 Fmt 6580 Sfmt 6581 E:\PUBLAW\PUBL110.107 APPS10 PsN: PUBL110
    115 STAT. 1440 PUBLIC LAW 107–110—JAN. 8, 2002
    parents, and administrators can measure progress against
    common expectations for student academic achievement;
    ‘‘(2) meeting the educational needs of low-achieving children
    in our Nation’s highest-poverty schools, limited English
    proficient children, migratory children, children with disabilities,
    Indian children, neglected or delinquent children, and
    young children in need of reading assistance;
    Just what are those needs?
    ‘‘(3) closing the achievement gap between high- and lowperforming
    children, especially the achievement gaps between
    minority and nonminority students, and between disadvantaged
    children and their more advantaged peers;
    Define disadvantaged.
    ‘‘(4) holding schools, local educational agencies, and States
    accountable for improving the academic achievement of all students,
    and identifying and turning around low-performing
    schools that have failed to provide a high-quality education
    to their students, while providing alternatives to students in
    such schools to enable the students to receive a high-quality
    education;
    At what cost?
    ‘‘(5) distributing and targeting resources sufficiently to
    make a difference to local educational agencies and schools
    where needs are greatest;
    What resources?
    ‘‘(6) improving and strengthening accountability, teaching,
    and learning by using State assessment systems designed to
    ensure that students are meeting challenging State academic
    achievement and content standards and increasing achievement
    overall, but especially for the disadvantaged;
    Accountability of whom? Certainly not the disruptive student who does not want to be in class. Again define disadvantaged.
    ‘‘(7) providing greater decisionmaking authority and flexibility
    to schools and teachers in exchange for greater responsibility
    for student performance;
    Just not the decisions that need to be made.
    ‘‘(8) providing children an enriched and accelerated educational
    program, including the use of schoolwide programs
    or additional services that increase the amount and quality
    of instructional time;

Apparently not enough services
    ‘‘(9) promoting schoolwide reform and ensuring the access
    of children to effective, scientifically based instructional strategies
    and challenging academic content;

Certainly not effective from where I'm looking.
    ‘‘(10) significantly elevating the quality of instruction by
    providing staff in participating schools with substantial
    opportunities for professional development;
    ‘‘(11) coordinating services under all parts of this title with
    each other, with other educational services, and, to the extent
    feasible, with other agencies providing services to youth, children,
    and families; and
    Nope. Our school board meeting minutes should attest to that.
    ‘‘(12) affording parents substantial and meaningful
    opportunities to participate in the education of their children.
    Not even after begging to be kept informed.

Scandal unfolds as cheating discovered in Pennsylvania schools

System encourages cheating; teachers take the blame

Here's a question? Just what do you do with a child who refuses to learn? One who would rather just be in the street than school and will do just about anything to ensure that happens? Further, what do you do about that punks conduct as it directly relates to the learning atmosphere of borderline students that want to learn?
    Contrary to popular belief there are children that want to learn and are just not the best at it. The pressure that has been applied to schools, teachers and programs by the above garbage is not working. Anyone that needs proof of that can ride on down here and take a look for themselves. Until realistic and EFFECTIVE changes that hold schools, teachers, programs and ALL STUDENTS accountable situations like in the above articles will continue to happen. By definition of all students I mean all. White, black, pink, pokka dotted, rich, poor, motivated, non motivated and especially delinquent trouble makers who do not want to be there.
    Students that want to learn, have never developed the skills to do so and have been thrown through the cracks in the floor will continue to be victims of non effective school systems.
    These students could be very involved, motivated and glad to go to school kids. Instead they are lacking in even the basics of math, language and reading. Ask me how I know. Yes, I am a bit irritated.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is what happens when politicians and bureaucrats try to fix problems they created.

There is no constitutional mandate for the federal government to be involved with education. That should be the first thing shut down to start saving money. This is a states issue.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    This is what happens when politicians and bureaucrats try to fix problems they created.

There is no constitutional mandate for the federal government to be involved with education. That should be the first thing shut down to start saving money. This is a states issue.

ANNNNNNNNNND Bingo was his name-o.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am so irritated and aggravated that I'm not sure I can put into words at what level I am. Perhaps when I am more calm I'll comment more. I should have ran like a wild man from here when I had the chance.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

creolecop is offline Really? and I'm suppose to believe that??
    Verified LEO
    The problem are these fucking POS parents and even the grandparents are getting in on some of the POS'ism.

Had a guy get into a serious altercation at a gas station over a gas pump. The loud mouth hefer started with this guy a legal immigrant who clearly was not aware of how to deal with ghetto'ism ignores her and continues on with his transaction at the pump. She calls her thugalicious cousin from the car and he knocks the guy out then stomps on his head numerous times on the concrete. The victim never said a word to them. The thug then drives his car out of the parking lot and pulls a gun on a 13yr old and his brother walking in a walmart parking lot (grandma is inside walmart). He tells them to get in, robs the 13yr old for $20 and then tells him to take the vehicle and drive it. 13yr old drives it to the entrance of Walmart and waits for his grandmother to come out. She comes out and he says, Grandma get in. She asks no questions until she has entered the car and buckled up, then asks him where did he get the car. 13yr old tells her don't worry about that I'll tell you later
    Grandma leaves it alone and tells him to drive her to a tobacco plus so she can get some cigarettes They ended up getting a felony take down done on them when we located the vehicle in transit.

FYI, I ended up arresting the 13yr old and his 15yr old brother following a burglary in progress call about 3mo later, couldn't put my finger on where I knew him from until he mentioned he was the kid found driving the car from that night. The older brother said he only went and helped burglarize his neighbor because his 13yr old brother came home saying he had a hard time kicking in the back door. They ended up being responsible for 3 unsolved burglaries and recovered items stolen. I find a startling number of parents in our "disadvantaged" areas tend not to have an OUNCE of parenting skills. They are to preoccupied with which pillar to post head layer she has allowed to move into her public assisted living quarters this week. The kid grows up far faster then he is suppose to and without any parental influence the streets take over the parenting and indoctrinating. I'll never forget going into a home recently and "mom" was doing some cleaning (rarely see that around here) had the music going and was making the kids clean up to, but problem was "mom" was blaring music from the rapper known as Rick Ross, who glorifies the drug kingpin lifestyle on every single one of his songs, it's what makes him, the kids were in there as young as 5 singing the words, "I think I'm big meech, Larry Hoover" and all the other crap in the song. (for those that don't know those two were gang leaders and million dollar drug lords") I mean I recall wanting to listen to 2 live crew growing up and when I got caught I saw my life flash before my eyes, nowadays mom sings about fucking hoes with you

Teachers can't undo what bad parenting and Streets spend countless hours doing. It takes PARENTS and TEACHERS. Even then you lose some as has always been, but you keep many more than you lose. Teachers alone can't do it. Shit when Mom can't read and you never seen your father what are the chances today that mother is making education a priority with her child

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I initially thought it was good that the grandparents would step in for their shit head off spring to raise the grand kids. Then it struck me. If they did such a bang up job with their kids, who are now oxygen thieves, who's to say they are doing any better with the grand children???
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by creolecop View Post
    rapper known as Rick Ross, who glorifies the drug kingpin lifestyle on every single one of his songs

Fun fact of the day:
    "Rick Ross" is actually a former Corrections Officer in Florida who used the name of one of his inmates as his stage name. Not exactly a smart fellow.

William Leonard Roberts II (born January 28, 1976), better known by his stage name Rick Ross, is an American rapper. He derived his stage name from the drug trafficker "Freeway" Ricky Ross, to whom he has no connection (Ross even sued the rapper for $10 million for using his name). Ross founded the record label Maybach Music Group, on which he released his studio albums Deeper Than Rap and Teflon Don.

I'm guessing that a lawsuit from a well known Drug Dealer is likely the least of his worries if that guy ever gets hold of him.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The problem are these fucking POS parents and even the grandparents are getting in on some of the POS'ism.
    creolecop said it best.

I usually say two things at my store.

1. Just because you are capable of reproducing doesn't mean you should.
    2. Don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em.

A friend of mine that was a teacher for 25 years here thought it would be great to teach at the "No child left behind" school. The week before she arrived a teacher got his nose broke when a student hit him in the face with a chair. It went downhill from there. She said you could not discipline the students. There were immigrant students that wanted to learn.
    I have seen parents show up in their pajamas to parent/teacher conferences at the school across the street.
    I hear people say, "Oh, they have been blessed to have so many children." The family tree is rife with WIC/foodstamps. How about responsible people raising responsible children? What's next? Involuntary sterilization so you cannot be "blessed" with wasting my education system tax dollar?

I need to get ready for work now, a lot of people are "depending" on me.

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The world needs ditch diggers too:

On a serious note though, if the students can't pass the tests.....just get rid of the tests:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ool-testing-wa

Full Story Found in Link

Obama Administration Exempting Schools From Federal Law’s Testing Mandate
    Monday, August 08, 2011
    By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP, Associated Press

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan addresses a summit designed to prevent and punish sexual and gender-based violence in U.S. schools. (CNSNews.com/Penny Starr)
    (AP) - State and local education officials have been begging the federal government for relief from student testing mandates in the federal No Child Left Behind law, but school starts soon and Congress still hasn't answered the call.
    Education Secretary Arne Duncan says he will announce a new waiver system Monday to give schools a break.
    The plan to offer waivers to all 50 states, as long as they meet other school reform requirements, comes at the request of President Barack Obama, Duncan said. More details on the waivers will come in September, he said.
    The goal of the No Child Left Behind law is to have every student proficient in math and reading by 2014. States have been required to bring more students up to the math and reading standards each year, based on tests that usually take place each spring. The step-by-step ramping up of the 9-year-old law has caused heartburn in states and most school districts, because more and more schools are labeled as failures as too few of their students meet testing goals.
    Critics say the benchmarks are unrealistic and brands schools as failures even if they make progress. Schools and districts where too few kids pass the tests for several years are subject to sanctions that can include firing teachers or closing the school entirely.
    Through the waivers, schools will get some relief from looming deadlines to meet testing goals as long as they agree to embrace other kinds of education reforms such as raising standards, helping teachers and principals improve, and focusing on fixing the lowest performing schools.
    Duncan and Melody Barnes, director of the Domestic Policy Council at the White House, said the administration will encourage every state to apply and will work with them to meet the requirements.
    Nothing in this plan for temporary relief from some aspects of the federal law will undermine what Congress is still discussing in terms of revising federal education laws, Duncan said. The long-awaited overhaul of the law began earlier this year in the U.S. House, but a comprehensive reform appears far from the finish line.
    "What we do in terms of flexibility can be a bridge or transition," he said. "We all want to fix the law. This might help us get closer to that."
    The chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, however, says he is worried about Duncan's waiver plan.
    "I remain concerned that temporary measures instituted by the department, such as conditional waivers, could undermine the committee's efforts to reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., in a statement, referring to the formal name of the No Child Left Behind law.
    The Obama administration requested a revision more than a year ago. Duncan said another school year is about to start and state education officials have told him they can't keep waiting for relief from the mandates.
    "I can't overemphasize how loudly the outcry is to do something now," Duncan said.
    Duncan has warned that 82 percent of U.S. schools could be labeled failures next year if No Child Left Behind is not changed. Education experts have questioned that estimate, but state officials report a growing number of schools facing sanctions under the law.
    Montana Schools Superintendent Denise Juneau said she welcomed the waiver proposal, as long as it offers relief from the 2014 deadline. She said her state isn't afraid of high standards and education reform but needs enough time to reach those standards and freedom to institute change in a way that works for Montana.
    Montana decided to skip a planned increase in its testing goals this past school year.
    "I don't mind the goals and we're certainly not afraid of accountability. They can set the bar wherever they want. They just have to let us have the flexibility to get there," Juneau said. "We can definitely meet any bar they throw at us."
    The chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee said he understands why it was time for the administration to take action.
    "This Congress faces real challenges reaching bipartisan, bicameral agreement on anything," said Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, in a written statement. "Given the ill-advised and partisan bills that the House majority has chosen to move, I understand Secretary Duncan's decision to proceed with a waiver package to provide some interim relief while Congress finishes its work."

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is Ted Kennedy's baby. I can't believe anyone would be upset with it
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Thread Information