Welcome to the APBWeb.
    keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Tactical Combat Casualty Care

I just took a short class on Tactical Combat Casualty Care. For any cop working the street, I'd highly recommend this course. It teaches some simple basics that may save your life if you're wounded in a firefight. If the class is ever offered to you, take it.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Can you elaborate?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Was this the two-day course? I think I posted a thread on one awhile back. I took it in May, it's a great class!

EDIT: Nope, now that I think about it it was on FB only. Who did you take it through? Was it the DoD course material?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Mac, mine was a two-day course that is really geared towards soldiers and other military. The powerpoint is DoD-owned, but my training was through a company called Condition Red. My instructors were both current-service guys. One was a bus medic in NYC, the other is a cop on the NYPD Emergency Services unit on their apprehension team.

It was pretty broad in scope, but the practicals were great. It really boiled down to tourniquet use, wound packing, use of Quikclot or other hemostatic agents, needle decompressions for a tension pneumothorax or other type of chest trauma, and emergency airway management. (NPAs and surgical crichs) Obviously not for use in non-tactical situations or for use on average citizens in a police capacity...if you were non-EMS in the class, it was emphasized this shit was for "This cop is shot and is gonna die without treatment, and we can't get EMS in here because the M-Fer is still shooting" type stuff.

This was obviously very different modality than the standards of civilian pre-hospital care. We went through all phases of care....Care Under Fire, Tactical Field Care, and Tactical Evacuation. We didn't do a whole lot with TacEvac since we're not landing choppers into hot LZs or anything, which is what most of the presentation covers.

My go-vest is a little bit heavier now with a C-A-T tourni, some 28 French NPAs, some Z-fold QuikClot LE, and some 14ga needles.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Not the company I took it through, but some good info.

Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC)

APB Guest
    I got my Tactical Medic certification a while ago, as far as I'm concerned the basics of that should be mandatory in any and all academies.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good stuff, thank you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Can you elaborate?

It was pretty broad in scope, but the practicals were great. It really boiled down to tourniquet use, wound packing, use of Quikclot or other hemostatic agents, needle decompressions for a tension pneumothorax or other type of chest trauma, and emergency airway management. (NPAs and surgical crichs) Obviously not for use in non-tactical situations or for use on average citizens in a police capacity...if you were non-EMS in the class, it was emphasized this shit was for "This cop is shot and is gonna die without treatment, and we can't get EMS in here because the M-Fer is still shooting" type stuff.
    That pretty much sums it up.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information