Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

What do you think of having church attendance be an alternative to jail time or fine for misdemeanors?

Starting this week, under a new program called Operation ROC (Restore Our Community), local judges in Bay Minette, Alabama, will give those found guilty of misdemeanors the choice of serving out their time in jail, paying a fine or attending church each Sunday for a year.
    More here: Jesus or jail? Alabama town offers options for serving time This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Send them to jail , that's where most criminals say they found Jesus anyway.
    They usually lose him when they get back on the streets.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can make someone go to jail. I can't make someone go to God.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Tried to "muli quote" lew and the Capt. suffice it to say plus 1 to both.You would probably have to cuff and drag them there every Sunday.Besides that ,every jail I know has preachers giving services in jail every Sunday and sometimes Wednesday.DONT DO NO GOOD...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    The thousand that just sit in the pews and fake like they're getting something out of it will ruin it for the 1 or 2 who actually benefit.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I'm against forcing anyone to go to church. Also, last time I checked, they have services available in the jail.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Ignoring any other aspects, which others have mentioned, there seems to be a bit of a problem with the First Amendment here to me.

That, or we'll soon see the First Church of Dismas open up, pastored by an enterprising crook ducking out of the church obligation, with very little but checking in for the "service."
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Beach Biker is offline Narcissistic Swinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Send them to jail , that's where most criminals say they found Jesus anyway.
    They usually lose him when they get back on the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    The thousand that just sit in the pews and fake like they're getting something out of it will ruin it for the 1 or 2 who actually benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I'm against forcing anyone to go to church. Also, last time I checked, they have services available in the jail.
    As the newby, I go along with these folks. While religion appears to solve some problems during incarceration, on the street I think it is just another angle to play the system. I do not give any special consideration to those who play the religion card, but I do listen for inconsistencies.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Are they doing this to free up jail space? Then again some might prefer going to jail. Either way, I hate it.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Terrible idea.

As it's been said, they offer religious services in jail (our jail offers a sunday service, and some bible studies during the week), and those who attend the services in jail do it just to get out of their cells. They don't keep attending once they're out.

What a stupid idea.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    As PC as everything is now days, what will they do with a satan worshipper? Let them go to their "church"? What about an atheist? Make them sit in a blank room for an hour each Sunday? Rastas? Agnostics? Seems pretty problematic to me.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Shrugs135 is offline Officer First Class
    Isn't there supposed to be separation between church and state? I say, keep it that way! If they haven't found God before there offense, then let jail time give them the opportunity to do it.....

Off my podium.
    NON TIMEBO MALA.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not a separation of church and state issue. I hate it, but not the issue. What religion is the state establishing here?

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    They can find religion behind bars...There is a bible in the library, and a preacher who shows up on Sundays

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    What about an atheist? Make them sit in a blank room for an hour each Sunday?

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Not a separation of church and state issue. I hate it, but not the issue. What religion is the state establishing here?
    They're favoring religion over atheism, and Christianity over other religions, since by chance there are no non-Christian churches there.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    They're favoring religion over atheism, and Christianity over other religions, since by chance there are no non-Christian churches there.

How are they favoring Christianity over other religions?

"local judges in Bay Minette, Alabama, will give those found guilty of misdemeanors the choice of serving out their time in jail, paying a fine or attending church each Sunday for a year."

Three choices and only one is a religious service. The way to attack this is equal protection under the law. What if one errr inmate's, convict's, probationer's, or whatever they are going to call these people....what if one person's church lasts longer than another person's service. Who oversees this to make sure people are arriving on time and who's not. There is no establishment of anything here but stupidity because this was not thought through.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    There is no establishment of anything here but stupidity because this was not thought through.
    Excatly. I would be extremely surprised if there are any muslim, athiest groups, hindu, etc.. churches there. If I'm convicted of a mis., and I'm muslim, how would they handle it? It's a "feel good" type of law, but with no follow through.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Jail time would give them the choice to attend services, or not. Jail is a consequence likely to better grab their attention, church of whatever franchise to heaven the sky-pilot represents is not likely to have the effect. Humans respond to loss of liberty and pain.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Excatly. I would be extremely surprised if there are any muslim, athiest groups, hindu, etc.. churches there. If I'm convicted of a mis., and I'm muslim, how would they handle it? It's a "feel good" type of law, but with no follow through.

I looked. If there are any they are not advertising it on the net.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information