Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Concerns about privacy of LEOs' DNA

When police in southern Louisiana were investigating the deaths of eight women in 2009, the sophistication of the crimes set off rumors that the serial killer was a police officer speculation that became so pervasive that officials ordered DNA testing of law enforcement personnel to rule it out.
    All local officers agreed to the testing and were eliminated as suspects, but the killer remains at large, said Jefferson Davis Parish Sheriff Ricky Edwards.
    Having officers' DNA samples on file is important for saving time in investigations and fending off doubt about evidence at trials because it allows authorities to identify unknown genetic material found at crime scenes, Edwards and other police and crime lab officials say.
    Police in other parts of the country, however, are not as willing to hand over their DNA. Rank-and-file police from Connecticut to Chicago to Los Angeles have opposed what some experts say is a slowly emerging trend in the U.S. to collect officers' DNA.
    "From a civil liberties standpoint, there are a lot of red flags," said Connecticut Trooper Steven Rief, former president of the state police union.
    More here: Police Cite Privacy Concerns Over Their Own DNA - ABC News

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah, I don't think so.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    We may not like the idea now...BUT...in about 5 years, a DNA device will exist that will capture your DNA by sampling the epithelial cells you breathe out. Unless the law keeps pace with this advancement, they will have EVERYONE's DNA simply because you breathe and can't legally control what leaves your body when you do.

This isn't science fiction...such a device is in testing at this time. Add enough storage to the device to carry all of your local bad guys and there you have it.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I think I would just wait until it's needed before I gave it up. I can see all the officers giving samples in the serial killer case but not just because they want it on file.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    We may not like the idea now...BUT...in about 5 years, a DNA device will exist that will capture your DNA by sampling the epithelial cells you breathe out. Unless the law keeps pace with this advancement, they will have EVERYONE's DNA simply because you breathe and can't legally control what leaves your body when you do.

This isn't science fiction...such a device is in testing at this time. Add enough storage to the device to carry all of your local bad guys and there you have it.

Car 4
    Maybe in the future every LEO's iphone could come with an app that instantly records the DNA of everyone in breathing distance, matches it against crime databases, and then as a public service warns about the likelihood of various genetic diseases!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I expect that one day, it'll be required, just like we file our own prints. As technology advances and we get more and more effective at recovering DNA, we'll have to deal with the impact of Locard's Principle.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe in the future every LEO's iphone could come with an app that instantly records the DNA of everyone in breathing distance, matches it against crime databases, and then as a public service warns about the likelihood of various genetic diseases! So a LEO who catches a young couple having sex in the back of their car could say, "Neither of you has DNA that matches the DNA left at any crime scenes, but FYI, my app detected that both of you are carriers for Tay-Sach's Disease, and therefore if you have a child together, that child will have a 25% likelihood of developing Tay-Sach's Disease. Have a good day!"

It would be much more rewarding to me to be able to tell one half of the couple that the other half has herpes. " Have a good day !"
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Oh, you have this chromosome? It means you are more prone to be violent, sorry you're fired now."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me..... I don't think I'd object to my dept. having the information of what my DNA profile is. But I would object to them actually keeping any real material with my DNA. With all the BS and backstabbing and people with their own messed up agendas on PD's, I wouldn't want it to be that easy for someone else on the dept. to be able to frame me for something by placing my DNA in a crime scene. Then again, I'm not a forensics guy so I don't know how long different forms of collected DNA keep before they degrade.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information