Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

College and cops...

This was asked in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooley01 View Post
    This is a little outside the topic at hand, but can you offer any suggestions on how I might utilize my degree (Psychology) in this field of work? As in, are there specific positions as an officer I might be able to take that would allow me to use my degree?
    Rather than contribute to drift there, and because it's a good topic, I figured I'd post it up here for discussion.

But let's not limit it to psych degrees. What use are college degrees for cops? How do you use your degree or education as a cop?

Me? I got a Bachelor of Science in Administration of Justice. I had a heavy emphasis in psychology and legal studies in the way I set up my program. (The university ran ADJ as a multidisciplinary program with several tracks.) How's that tied to work?

Honestly... Most of the "cop stuff" you need to know is covered at the academy or through experience. I had a leg up on some of the legal -- but that wasn't essential. It does help having a better understanding of how to read and apply case law, and some of the administration stuff I might have better than someone without that college -- but so much of that is also agency specific that it's not something I'd call vital.

Psych classes? Well, some insights into how people think and act for interviews and investigations helps. And I can talk intelligently with the docs and staff at Mobile Crisis when I bring someone in there.

What do other people say?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I did a lot of writing for my Bachelor's in History and Political Science. Helps a good bit for writing reports. Has given me a good understanding in the history and processes that brought us many of our current laws. My original plan was to continue on to law school. Ran out of money and patience, so that is still on the to do list.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    If I were to go to college for this job, I would think that law and foreign languages would be the most useful subjects. A lot of other subjects could have some application to law enforcement, but most of this job is learned from experience.

cinman1802000 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I teach Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement in a high school setting. Many of my graduates seek to obtain their degree in Crimiinal Justice. I tell them not to waste their time. Concentrate on a Business degree, with Foreign Language a close second. Like stated before, the police academy will teach them all they truly need to know about Criminal Justice & the rest is taught on the street in an FTO setting.

Colleges are simply cashing in on the CSI /Law & Order effect.
    "If everything is under control, you're just not going fast enough"---Mario Andretti

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cinman1802000 View Post
    I teach Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement in a high school setting. Many of my graduates seek to obtain their degree in Crimiinal Justice. I tell them not to waste their time. Concentrate on a Business degree, with Foreign Language a close second. Like stated before, the police academy will teach them all they truly need to know about Criminal Justice & the rest is taught on the street in an FTO setting.

Colleges are simply cashing in on the CSI /Law & Order effect.
    The advice I give HS and even college students who ask isn't any specific degree. I tell them to study something that interests them; that way, they'll be more likely to do well. The truth is that, outside of a few fields like engineering, your 4 year degree doesn't have a heck of lot to do with what sort of work you can do. That -- or there must be a hell of a lot more historians and economists than I can imagine a need for. Better grades and school performance is going to carry more weight in many cases than a specific degree.

That said -- I do agree, if all else is equal, business with a solid foreign language isn't a bad idea.

As I noted in the first post -- I've used elements of my college education on the job. But I've also used things from my previous employment history, too. One thing about being a cop -- you never know what you'll find useful to know on this job.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

WRQ3 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I've got a strong collegiate background in math and physics (started as an Electrical Engineering major......). Can't help but think if I am given the chance to become a Crash Reconstructionist, that those skills will become very handy...

Verified LEO
    The math will -- but honestly, most reconstruction math is just "plug & chug." Physics will help, but you really are going to be dealing with some pretty dynamic physics situations in reconstruction. It's fun...

Thread Information