Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Occupy Police and OccupyMARINES hope to attract police and military to the "Occupy" movement

The Occupy Wall Street movement has recently expanded beyond merely occupying parks and other physical territory and is staking out a new realm of metaphorical occupations that includes both OccupyMARINES and Occupy Police.

The inspiration for OccupyMARINES came when Marine Sergeant Shamar Thomas confronted police officers who were threatening to arrest OWS protesters in Times Square on October 15, yelling, “Stop hurting these people, man! … How do you sleep at night? There is no honor in this!”

According to Business Insider, members of the new movement began by reaching out to other former marines but “have now called on veterans of other branches of the military to lend their support to help ‘talk sense’ to police and recruit them into supporting the Occupy movement.”

It remains to be seen how successful the group will be and how many veterans it will attract, but it appears to be growing rapidly and gaining support from other progressive organizations. Its webpage, which is credited as “proudly donated by The Pirate Party of New York,” announced on Sunday that the umbrella group Velvet Revolution will be acting as its fiscal sponsor to accept donations.

A second organization, Occupy Police, has already been spun off “for police in support of the 99%.” The first posting at its website, dated October 21, states, “We are in open Solidarity with Occupy Wall Street and all Occupy movements across the nation. We’re starting off Day 1 with a mass e-mail to all police departments throughout the US. We want them to know that they ARE part of the 99% and to get involved with the movement. We openly support positive communication between Police/People and we encourage you to do the same.”
    More here: Occupy movement spins off OccupyMARINES and Occupy Police | The Raw Story

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Clearly they are smoking dope...

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm disqualified. I have a job.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't mooch so I'm ineligible to apply
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I think it's dismissive to say the people in these movements are just unemployed hippies. First off, how many friends/family do you know that are unemployed right now? Not having a job nowadays isn't just because you don't want one. Hell, in some areas, being unemployed pays more than a minimum wage job would. If that's not a symptom of a broke system, I don't know what is.

Here's an interesting article that outlines what the Occupy movement is about. If you are police that have to work these protests or ones like it, then I think it's detrimental that you understand where they are coming from.

That all being said, I still disagree with them. I disagree with their message and I disagree with their methods.

I disagree with their message because their complaint is that wages of Americans have been relatively static over the last 40 years or so. Big shock- if I keep the same job and don't either expand or increase my training or education, my pay won't go up. It's been 40 years- even according to their own website- and most of these protesters are 20-30 years old. So I have a question: When, exactly, did the world promise you a living? Did you honestly think that your art degree was going to make you millions?

And then there's their methods. You really think sitting in a park yelling at a soundproof skyscraper is going to make it rain money? How do you expect this Occupy movement to end? If you want laws changed, the place to occupy is Washington, DC. I wonder how many people in these movements even know who is representing them in Washington. I wonder how many even wrote a politician. Hell, I wonder how many even vote.

I'll let you nimrods in on a secret: If you don't like the wage of your current job you either get a promotion or get another job that will pay more. Regulation isn't the answer. Regulation is the problem. Deregulation is the solution.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I think it's dismissive to say the people in these movements are just unemployed hippies.

Fine. Their all racist then.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    What I see of these people is hypocritical, or at least they're too dumb to see how capitalism works. They sleep in tents made by corporations. They use markers that were made by corporations to make signs on paperboard made by corporations, wearing clothes made by corporations, then record it on phones and cameras made by corporations. They are against corporate greed, but embrace one of the richest men in the world (Steve Jobs).

They whine and complain that they owe student loans. Fine. Should have chosen that state college instead of Columbia.

They're basically tyring to tailor their protests to things they want to protest against, yet excuse other commpanies that do the exact same thing if they need those products.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Im not sure that means what you think it means.
    Since you pretty much echoed what I said, I think we're on the same page.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    My youngest son is out of work....but he is out on the street looking for work....not whining about his misfortune or blaming someone else.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I'm disqualified. I have a job.
    Now that's funny, any way you look at it! (True as well.)
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I worked the capital building during the protest in Madison, WI. I saw the type who were there and talked to several of them. The ones who were on TV all the time, were the ones living in the capital building, and they are freeloaders, hippies, and exactly the type I have seen on TV so far in New York... In fact, when it first started in New York, and they had it on TV, I swear 2 or 3 of them were in Madison. One of which I am sure of, cause I talked to him.

These people travel across the country to put on these "protests". They get free food from local pizza places (as in the case of Madison) live for nothing in these places, and urinate/deficate where ever they feel. I think there are ligit people out there who are upset, but I can say that the onese being feautered on TV are probly the same type who we dealt with.

Thread Information