Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,126
    Rep Power
    6563843

    Things to ponder...

    I have 2 questions...

    First, why is it that if the FD actually finds a fire, it seems to require every fire fighter for 30 miles to deal with it? (Related thought... Why is it that FD needs to stage for just about everything? I sometimes wonder if they stage to be advised it's OK to stage...)

    Second, what about a marked police car sitting in an intersection, lights on, blocking the road, is unclear that the road is closed? And why does it matter to you the reason the road is closed; you still can't go down it!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  2. #2
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,998
    Rep Power
    4007681
    # 1. Fires are rare. Everyone wants to "play"

    # 2. Because people are dumb.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

  3. #3
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357019
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    # 2. Because people are dumb.
    People [plural] can be very dumb. Driving gives us a chance to identify the truly stupid individuals in society. Driving is the most frequently administered test of common sense, period. I have flagged drivers onto detours around overturned tractor trailers that are physically blocking a roadway in full view from where I'm flagging. Still people ask why they can't go that way.


    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  4. #4
    ChesCopPodz's Avatar
    ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    In the shadow of the Rockies
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    2187919
    People are stupid. I had one last night (albeit he was a little drunk) ask if I was an officer. Since I was in full uniform, I said "Nope, today is my own personal Halloween"
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

    At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

    An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

    They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

  5. #5
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,378
    Rep Power
    4817858
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    People are stupid. I had one last night (albeit he was a little drunk) ask if I was an officer. Since I was in full uniform, I said "Nope, today is my own personal Halloween"

  6. #6
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    10-08-08
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    2508663
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    .. why is it that if the FD actually finds a fire, it seems to require every fire fighter for 30 miles to deal with it? (Related thought... Why is it that FD needs to stage for just about everything? I sometimes wonder if they stage to be advised it's OK to stage...)
    You should try your hand at stand up.


  7. #7
    Mark7's Avatar
    Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-05-10
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    235203
    This is much better that the stand up, it's whacker GOLD!

    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

  8. #8
    JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-03-09
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    314934
    As for the staging, I'll defend them here.

    We're in a political society where using force is NOT ok in most situations, let's face it. Now how does it look when firefighters are using force? Doesn't matter why, they are the good guys, it'd look terrible to public perception. They also aren't trained in use of force, and it is not part of their job. It IS our's.

    We already are the bad guys, and using force to control a situation is our job. We are trained to use force, experienced, and have much more legal protection once we do use force.

  9. #9
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,126
    Rep Power
    6563843
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    As for the staging, I'll defend them here.

    We're in a political society where using force is NOT ok in most situations, let's face it. Now how does it look when firefighters are using force? Doesn't matter why, they are the good guys, it'd look terrible to public perception. They also aren't trained in use of force, and it is not part of their job. It IS our's.

    We already are the bad guys, and using force to control a situation is our job. We are trained to use force, experienced, and have much more legal protection once we do use force.
    There are times that I've got no problem with the way the fire department stages. I'm not suggesting they run into gun fire or an active fight. Anymore than I expect a cop to heedlessly run into a house on fire. But, at least around my parts, they stage for any call that there even might be a rude word, or at least that's how it seems.

    But I gotta say that our fire department will step up when needed, too.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  10. #10
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357019
    They overuse the staging here. We sometimes get called to force entry for the fire department. Really, they are better equipment to do that than I do. What they are really wanting to do is a avoid having to pay for something later. They even have the forms for when they have to force entry.

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  11. #11
    irishmick's Avatar
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-12-08
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,226
    Rep Power
    1538982
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I have 2 questions...

    First, why is it that if the FD actually finds a fire, it seems to require every fire fighter for 30 miles to deal with it? (Related thought... Why is it that FD needs to stage for just about everything? I sometimes wonder if they stage to be advised it's OK to stage...)

    Second, what about a marked police car sitting in an intersection, lights on, blocking the road, is unclear that the road is closed? And why does it matter to you the reason the road is closed; you still can't go down it!
    #1 - For the same reason that we'll come from miles when we hear "fight on".

    #2 - Again, probably for the same reason that we'll stage at domestics, etc. It's a safety thing.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

    --Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

    --"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •