Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO

working Christmas again.

I had Thanksgiving weekend off this year. Just the way our weekend fell. We work 4x12 hr shifts and get four days off.

Usually we work one of the major holidays every other year. This year we work Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Years. We don't take President's Day or Martin Luther King so that we can get holiday pay for Christmas Eve and Black Friday.

Working the holidays is good money - very good money. This year Christmas is my Friday. And that works as well. Because as a family we usually do most of our holiday activities in the week between Christmas and New Year.

But even after all these years working Christmas can still be something of a bummer. Oh well. I wanted this job.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I'm glad that you won't miss most of your family activities.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Working Christmas Again

Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    .....as a family we usually do most of our holiday activities in the week between Christmas and New Year.....
    That is a good move. That way you can take advantage of the after Christmas sales!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Sorry you have to work on Christmas, but I'm glad you will still be able to celebrate with your family! Hope you have a merry Christmas, whenever you celebrate it!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    We pretty much have Christmas when we do. The date is irrelevant and can fall anywhere from Thanksgiving till Valentine's Day. Just depends on when our schedules can all mesh up and who will be in town, when.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    We pretty much have Christmas when we do. The date is irrelevant and can fall anywhere from Thanksgiving till Valentine's Day. Just depends on when our schedules can all mesh up and who will be in town, when.
    I married a woman (20 years last June) who believes in dates. Christmas is December 25. But she is used to me having jobs that involve working on holidays. So we work around my work schedule. At least this year since Christmas is my Friday I can go home and chow down on the Christmas ham and not worry about having to squeeze into my uniform the next day.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Just to help give perspective: I know working Holidays is a bummer. So does every police officer out there. At least you're getting paid extra. We aren't even doing that. We're supposed to "comp" out an extra day, but so few of us are going to be able to before the year ends, so it's just free time that goes to our department.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Just to help give perspective: I know working Holidays is a bummer. So does every police officer out there. At least you're getting paid extra. We aren't even doing that. We're supposed to "comp" out an extra day, but so few of us are going to be able to before the year ends, so it's just free time that goes to our department.
    That's effed up.

We get a full shift of holiday pay if you work the full pay period, even if you're off for the holiday itself. We also get straight pay for the holiday worked itself, so effectively you get double time for the holiday. I suppose if you wanted, you could do something like take the straight time as comp time -- but it'd probably have to be approved by the brass and admin services. I'm sure they'd eff it up somehow...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I have Christmas off this year, worked Thanksgiving (overnight). We don't get holiday pay either, but get eight hours extra vacation time for every holiday, worked or not. I kinda like it, as I end up with over four weeks vacation a year

That being said, I offered to work Christmas so another employee with a family can be off. We'll see if anyone takes me up on it
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    That does suck. We get time and half plus 8 hrs holiday pay. Which is one thing that makes working Christmas and Thanksgiving okay. I don't get excited about working Labor Day, July 4th, New Year and Memorial Day though the money is just as good. Working either Thanksgiving or Christmas ensures that most of Christmas is paid for. So there is a silver lining.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    My dept gets 8 hours holiday pay, no matter how many hours your shift really is. Patrol works 12-hr shifts, but of course you could easily end up on an 18-hr day. Detectives work 10-hr shifts and generally have to take the holiday off, but that means they either have to come in for 2 hours or take 2 hours vacation time. Gotta love it.

I always volunteered to work holidays if it was my day off, so that those with family could enjoy the "proper" day. It feels good to help out my coworkers & provides a nice distraction for those of us who don't have family.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I get 11 8 hour holidays which is added to my vacation time at the beginning of each year. Since I work 10 hour shifts, it equals to almost an extra 9 days off each year. Doesn't matter if I work it or not.

I worked Thanksgiving, and I work Christmas Eve, but I have Christmas Day off.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Santa Claus is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    How do you think I feel?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
    How do you think I feel?
    Very funny. You win.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I think we have 11 recognized holidays.

We get 16 hrs of straight time for each holiday worked, IN ADDITION to the 8.5 hrs we work. So working a 8.5 hr shift on a holiday equal out to 24.5 hrs. Those 16 additional hours can come in pay or comp.

If I had it my way, I'd work every single holiday.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
    How do you think I feel?

Thread Information