Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Stomach flu

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Stomach flu

Sunday night/Monday morning I was running radar on the highway when my stomach started doing back flips on me. I felt great at the start of my shift, it started with zero warning. I went to a gas station and bought some tums, but they didn't help. Pretty soon the back flips stopped and it felt like my stomach was convulsing. It was downright painful. So I went into the office and told the Sgt. I needed to go home, and I was pretty sure I was going to start puking any minute. And while I was speaking with my sgt, my wife sent me a text message telling me that she "didn't feel good".

As I was driving home, my wife sent me another text that she just puked. I got home, and since I knew I was going to be in bed all day I ran out to the barn and fed all the steers at around 3 AM.

Then, on my way into the house the floodgates opened. I've never puked so much in one sitting in my life. I ran to the closest receptacle I could find, a nearby recycling bin with those convenient little drain holes in the bottom.

So I got inside and found my wife laying on the floor of the bathroom. Which indicated to me that the bathroom was hers and I needed to find something else. So I double bagged the trash can in our bedroom and laid down. I spent the next 5 hrs vomiting on and off. Unfortunately after my vile expulsion into the recycling bin, there wasn't anything to vomit so it was mostly 5 hrs of my groaning and dry heaving.

This has been one of the worst stomach bugs I've had in my entire life. I feel better now, mainly because I've spent the last 24 hrs in bed, oblivious to the world around me. I'm now able to keep fluids down so I've been drinking water to try and rehydrate myself. At the moment I've got a pounding headache which I attribute to either dehydration or the straining I did trying to vomit something up.

I wouldn't wish the last 24 hrs on my worst enemy. Un-friggin-real.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Sorry you were sick. It sounds like food poisoning. If there's anything left of whatever you and your wife were both eating before you both got sick, it might be good to throw it away. Hope you both feel better soon.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hope you're feeling better and good ole sugarfest Gatorade isn't going to break your diet today. I'm thinking Dr Jenna is on the right track here.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Thankfully, it wasn't quite that bad -- but had a similar thing hit me a couple nights back. Went in feeling fine, and started feeling a little queasy after a couple hours. I'm training a rook right now, and ended up telling him to pull over at one point, which was fortunately a false alarm, and then head into the station. Changed, got in my car and drove exactly one block before filling a storm sewer. Twice. Later followed by the always-fun dry heaves a couple times over the next several hours.

Glad you're feeling better!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Definitely sounds like food poisoning, especially with how close together you and your wife fell ill. If there are any leftovers from any meal you and she ate earlier that day, throw them out. And it sounds odd but if the other end starts acting up, don't take anything to stop it. Your system is trying to flush itself of the bacteria. Let it. Gatorade and crackers will help you.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree with what the others have said about food poisoning. I hope that both of you are feeling better soon.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The dry heaving is the worst. I had food poisoning that did that to me one time. Both the upper and lower flood gates my friend. The really bad part for the first hour or so the gates would open simultaneously. If you have got now what I had then there is some good news.....you're gonna loose about ten pounds.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Losing 10 lbs is probably more unhealthy than a "good thing"....but either way, yeah I have lost some weight in the last two days.

And I've since found out my uncle and cousin were both sick as well, and we had christmas saturday night.

Doing a little research, I believe we all have/had the Norovirus or Norwalk virus.

The symptoms match all of ours, as well as the timeline.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Had it last week. Ruined 2 days off, then called in my first 2 nights. Started last monday. Still today, although I haven't felt sick in a few days, my stomach can't handle a large meal.

My kid had it the week before. Since he's 2, he doesn't realize to go throw up in the bathroom, so it was a week of cleaning.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I hope I don't catch anything from reading this thread.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    That SUCKS! Hope you feel better fast!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We're both feeling much better.

I'm almost positive this is what we had:
    CDC - Norovirus: Home

At the same time my wife and I got sick, my uncle, cousin, and dad were all sick with similar symptoms.

This all started about 2 days after a Christmas gathering on my dad's side of the family. I can only assume we caught "it" at the Christmas party, as the onset of symptoms occurs in 1-2 days.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Glad you're feeling better!

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Hope you get well, and a second bathroom!
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Thread Information