Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Retired Officer, Army Vet loses service dog

Cherokee Chronicle Times: Local News: Man denied 'service dog' seeks legal action (12/23/11)

In brief, James Saks, a retired Chicago PD officer and Vietnam Vet, moved to the town of Aurelia, Iowa to be near his ill mother. Saks had suffered a stroke a few years ago, and had used a registered service dog named Snickers, who happens to be a pit bull. Aurelia has an ordinance prohibiting pit bulls, and some neighbors complained, so the city decided to enforce the ban.

Snickers is currently being boarded nearby while a lawsuit proceeds. US code exempts service animals from these sorts of laws... but Aurelia knows better.

Utter donkey crap, from so-called "neighbors" who haven't got a lick of sense. At least, that's my opinion.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is horse shit. I hope the DoJ rips the council a new one.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not even close to a Pitt fan but if
    US code exempts service animals from these sorts of laws...
    they may be a bit out of luck.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It ain't the breed. It's how the dog is trained, treated, and handled.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've heard that. Just not a fan. Don't like em. It's a personal experience thing that's happened numerous times in a rather lengthy career. I don't harbor ill feelings for persons who like them or in this case need them.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    It ain't the breed. It's how the dog is trained, treated, and handled.
    This. A dirtbag will make a problem dog out of a lab or golden also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Oh Lew I hope someday to change your mind.

And BSL (breed specific legislation) is a horrible idea. Studies have showed it does nothing for reducing dog bites etc. In the 70s the bad breed was dobies, then GSDs now pits. Evil dog of the decade. Did you know the pitbull scored higher then over a hundred breeds in temperament testing? The rumors about the dogs are not always true. A few dogs with shitty owners cause the problems. I hate that. There are more good in this breed then bad.

I hope this guy shoves it legally up that town's behind. Stupid and ignorant as well as illegal.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    <<<<proud mom of a 9 month old pittie . Defender of the breed.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Oh Lew I hope someday to change your mind.

And BSL (breed specific legislation) is a horrible idea. Studies have showed it does nothing for reducing dog bites etc. In the 70s the bad breed was dobies, then GSDs now pits. Evil dog of the decade. Did you know the pitbull scored higher then over a hundred breeds in temperament testing? The rumors about the dogs are not always true. A few dogs with shitty owners cause the problems. I hate that. There are more good in this breed then bad.

I hope this guy shoves it legally up that town's behind. Stupid and ignorant as well as illegal.
    I agree. I didn't mean to start a debate. I apologize if my comments have offended. In the span of my career I have responded to several instances of family owned and raised Pitts just attacking family members and other animals reported unprovoked. I, unfortunately, had to shoot one in front of my own home when it tried to attack me. I was upset at having to shoot any animal regardless of breed. My perception is based solely on my numerous personal experiences and nothing more.
    As most of you know I own a Doberman. I get far more negative feedback in my area for owning her than any Pitt. I know the Doberman history and understand people's apprehension surrounding my choice in breed. I give people plenty of consideration even when walking her. There is a negative view of Doberman's. I understand that. However, I personally have not had a negative Doberman interaction.
    If the Pitt in the article is indeed a service dog, which at this point there seems to be no reason to doubt, then I sincerely hope that there is a positive outcome for the dog and owner.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I smell a lawsuit, with the city council losing. The city council needs to be ousted for not having a backbone to stand up against the complainant, or for just plain ignorance. Service Dogs are protected from this kind of BS!

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Not offended Lew. Everyone is entitled to their opinion based on their experiences. And I can tell you that dogs do NOT attack unprovoked or without warning. The clues will and can be subtle and most may miss them but there is a reason and a warning with bites. I will get off my soapbox now and on topic.

Videos of the dog and family are all over Facebook-interviews are heart wrenching.

PS I love dobies Lew. Never met one I didn't like. Big mutes

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Thread Information