Welcome to the APBWeb.
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Scott Walker Govenor of the year!

This is sure to stir some controversy:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gBqWOhWB4UIgxA
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hats off to him for reawakening the labor movement in Wisconsin!

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Governor of the year? I wouldn't go that far.

We are a single income family and now as a result of his changes, we are going to have the hours cut down to 37 1/2 per week with little to no overtime. There are other changes which some may consider fair but they still hurt the pocket book though.

With all the changes, we are seriously considering a move out of state.

Not my favorite governor.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Gotta look at who's calling him Governor of the year though...Governor's Journal? Edited by a guy that used to work for a governor? Sounds like a fanboy. I don't think they asked the FOP to chime in on this one...
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Walker screwed this family
    1. we can no longer bargin the health card platform, that means what ever plan the city picks thats what we get, we can only bargin the percent that we have to pay monthly. with that said, now i have a 1000 dollar deductable where i never had a deductable before. we went from paying 10 percent of the monthly plan to 12 percent, so now i pay about 1150 more this coming year for family health care

2. wenow have to pay 5.9 percent of our state retirement which we never had to pay anything before, so now i will be paying in towards retirement 2600 dollars

3. number 1 and number 2 together is going to cost me 3750 this coming year

4. we only got 6 percent raise split across the next 3 year

5. can u say i was bent over and screwed without lube by Walker
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I am generally pretty conservative. But he is terrible along with some of the GOP in the state assembly/senate (many of the Dems aren't much better, just opposite perspective). For the first time in my life, I will vote for a democrat, not necessarilly because I agree with them, but to restore some balance, so that there is a middle ground in the negotiating for bills. It may be a slower process, but at least there is somewhat of a middle.

Unfortunately these days, it seems politics is either the extreme right, or extreme left. In the last couple years, I have tried to avoid watching the news or getting into politcs...its too depressing, knowing that it has gotten to this point of extremes.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I can understand the financial pain that came with a sudden change in benefits, but here's a quick look at what other people pay in Wisconsin. This is how it has been since before Walker balanced the budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Walker screwed this family
    1. we can no longer bargin the health card platform, that means what ever plan the city picks thats what we get, we can only bargin the percent that we have to pay monthly. with that said, now i have a 1000 dollar deductable where i never had a deductable before. we went from paying 10 percent of the monthly plan to 12 percent, so now i pay about 1150 more this coming year for family health care
    Exactly how it works for me. Employer picks what plan they want to help pay for. Best plan I can get is 90%/10% (I pay 10% of total bill, plus my out of pocket minimum of 1500 dollars) I choose not to use it though. If I did, it would cost about 300/mo for family plan or about 3600 a year

2. wenow have to pay 5.9 percent of our state retirement which we never had to pay anything before, so now i will be paying in towards retirement 2600 dollars
    This is about flip-flopped from my plan. This year so far, I have paid in 4750 into my retirement. My employer CAN make a discretionary deposit into my retirement once a year, based on my performance and my contributions. This year I got $670.

3. number 1 and number 2 together is going to cost me 3750 this coming year

4. we only got 6 percent raise split across the next 3 year

5. can u say i was bent over and screwed without lube by Walker
    I can't speak for yearly raises as it varies year to year, but usually 1-2% a year for a performance raise. I do feel like you guys should have great benefits, and despite the cuts, to me your benefits still seem great compared to private sector.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Hey 213

pay in law enforcement is not overly great, part of the reason it was okay is bc of the benefits we had, now we dont have the benefits and our pay now sucks bc we now have to pay for everything. Every job has perks and ourz was benefits which are now gone. for the stress, shitty hours, holidays, missing my kids events it almost doesnt seem like its worth it anymore

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I don't dispute that some first responders have great benefits packages compared to what the private sector offers today. Here are some points to consider though:

The benefits/retirement program I have today is what was agreed upon between me and my agency/state 16 years ago when I started this career. If the state needs to make changes, they need to make them to future agreements, not renege on the agreement they made with current employees. If your mortgage holder decided they were in financial trouble and needed to unilaterally alter your agreement by increasing your interest rate by, let's say 10 percent; you might feel that was inappropriate. It might even be considered devastating.

My wife has worked at a bank, as an assistant to one of the investment brokers, for 5 years. She made more this year with bonuses and commissions than the sergeants make at my department. She doesn't take one of their their healthcare option because she's on my plan. She got a $200.00 Christmas bonus this year. Before the economy tanked she got as high as $1500.00. I got my yearly $10.00 gift card to Wal-mart.

I know what my wife makes and what her benefits package is like. I have no idea what the average salary and benefit package is at any of the private sector employers in my area because the newspaper can't do an open records request and post their information each year. I do know that the average employee of the private college in my city seems to lead a pretty high standard of living, and that one of their benefits is free tuition for their kids. That's worth around 40k per year if they have one kid in this college. I also know that the guys that came to our department from the local factories tell us that they were making very good money, with regular raises, retirement matching, and stock options. They left due to layoff fears, because they hated the work, or for our insurance/retirement. Oh, and because they want to help people.

None of the officers who have retired from my agency since I've worked here have stopped working. They all went back to work somewhere because the retirement check wasn't delivered in an armored car like we heard it would be.

It may be very different in places that allow unions for first responders, but I guarantee you that my community and political leaders don't draw a distinction between union police benefits and ours. They just hear on the news about our "gold plated" pensions and "ridiculous" benefits packages that no one in the private sector gets (allegedly), and they believe it applies to us too.

Just my 2 cents.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree completely that cops/first responders need a better than average benefits package due to the tolls this job takes on us. There are studies for days that document this. The problem is every other Tom, Dick, and Harry public employee started making the same demands. These demands have been eagerly grabbed up by public sector unions [begin my opinion] to further their power and influence in the political arena. That does nothing for the state of Wisconsin or the citizens there in. Combine this with politicians making glorious benefits packages for themselves, their staffs ect and you have a recipe for local budget that cannot be sustained. I don't know all of the local details as it pertains to WI, but if the local stuff is anything like the AEA (Alabama Education Association) that has fought for teachers guilty of felonies in prison to still collect benefits....screw that.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Hey 213

pay in law enforcement is not overly great, part of the reason it was okay is bc of the benefits we had, now we dont have the benefits and our pay now sucks bc we now have to pay for everything. Every job has perks and ourz was benefits which are now gone. for the stress, shitty hours, holidays, missing my kids events it almost doesnt seem like its worth it anymore
    I wasn't trying to upset you. I was just saying that I would consider your benefits to be awesome. But, I'd probably think the pay is too, as we start at 12.50/hour here.

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I wasn't trying to upset you. I was just saying that I would consider your benefits to be awesome. But, I'd probably think the pay is too, as we start at 12.50/hour here.
    Not mad at all, just have to defend my position and thoughts because i can stand people that say the dont like something but then can explain why they dont like it because it shows they are uneducated and are only on the band wagon bc they are followers

Not mad at all, just have to defend my position and thoughts because i can stand people that say the dont like something but then can explain why they dont like it because it shows they are uneducated and are only on the band wagon bc they are followers
    I would through a caveat on to what I think of your pay and benefits. My job IS extremely different. I work for the cable company. I wouldn't expect it to be a career if I hadn't moved into management

Thread Information