Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Nearly 48,000 people killed in drug-related violence in Mexico over past 5 years

Over the past five years, nearly 48,000 people have been killed in suspected drug-related violence in Mexico, the country's federal attorney general announced this month. In the first three quarters of 2011, almost 13,000 people died.
    What could explain such savagery?
    Traffickers don't have a political or religious ideology like al Qaeda.
    The answer, some experts say, is a number. Something like $39 billion.
    That's the top estimated amount Mexican and Colombian drug trafficking organizations make in wholesale profits annually, according to a 2009 Justice Department report, the latest year for which that calculation was available. The department's 2011 report said that Mexican traffickers control the flow of most of the cocaine, heroin, foreign-produced marijuana and methamphetamine in the United States.
    There are seven cartels in Mexico vying for control of smuggling routes into the United States, a bountiful sellers' paradise. South of the border it costs $2,000 to produce a kilo of cocaine from leaf to lab, the DEA said. In the U.S., a kilo's street value ranges from $34,000 to $120,000, depending on the ZIP code where it's pushed.
    "How much is enough to the cartels? How many billions justify how many deaths to them?" said DEA special agent and spokesman Jeffrey Scott. "Mexico is their home, too. Their families live there. At what point does the violence cripple their ability to conduct business?"
    More here: The Mexico drug war: Bodies for billions - CNN.com

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Mexico is on the very edge of being a failed state. It WILL fail in the next couple of years....the Trafficantes have no political goals except to rule their territory....and Mexico's failed attempts to stop them is all that stands between them and total anarchy.

You can only imagine what will happen should the government fall....the SW states worst nightmare. Folks down there better have a go to Hell plan and lots of ammo.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Well when cops have to fear being put on hit lists because they are interfering or interupting their business kinda makes people turn a blind eye (look at the PD down there that was all shot up in the middle of the day like a normal drive by)

They the good folks, they buy guns, ammo to protect there family but they mind their buisness and dont ask qestions pursue ratting people out because they will be dead in no time.

There is a lot of fear of the cartels , Shit I would be< my house would be a bobbie trap, i would have 6 guns strapped to me at all times. evem during sex, and i would have tons of ammo for the other 100 other AR-15's and weapons in my arsonal, and many rocket lauchers, I would take as many as I could be disappearing into hidding
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If the Mexican people ever come to their senses....
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information