Welcome to the APBWeb.
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Question How do you make $$$?????

We are a small community with limited funds and we just started up a new Tactical Entry Team. Aside from donations, grants, begging and borrowing, does anyone out there have any good ideas about how a small town SWAT Team can generate funds? Appreciate any and all ideas, no matter how crazy................Thanks!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    no matter how crazy
    Prostitution!

Bikini car wash!

FishTail Guest
    Asset seizure?

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    Midnight Requisition?

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    Sell your organs.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Hijack a shipment of Thin Mints and sell them for double at Weight Watchers.

GM7203 Guest
    Put me down for 3 boxes of Thin Mints!

You should write for a grant. Also check the Homeland Security Department, you may qualify for some help from them.

RdrB67 is offline Officer First Class
    I am the Commander of a Regional Team consisting of relatively small agencies. One of the jurisdictions has arranged with the Court in their area to assess a restitution fee to all cases involving a call-out. That money then goes into a "Tac Fund" that is administered by that agency. It doesn't bring in a lot of $$$, but every little bit helps. Also, the regional team idea works well for our area as you have several different agencies kicking in people and equipment to spread the expense around.

Homeland Security will not buy weapons since we can obviously protect the Homeland much more effectively without anyone getting a boo-boo. However, they will pay for some pretty high-dollar toys. Check with your grant administrator and get on board the "Pork Wagon."

Good luck.
    "Nothing says guilty like a high-priced lawyer."
    - Tom Griswold

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    If you have a shooting range that is owned or property of your dept. You can sell memberships for X amount of dollars per year. Then let members shoot for $5 for up to 3 people all day. Non-members would be charged $15 per person for all day shooting.

You can also sell raffle tickets. Sell 200 tickets for $100 each. The $100 ticket includes dinner and a drawing for cash prizes. Like $1000 for the 1st name, $600 for the 2nd, $400 for the 3rd and $250 for 4th. You can also buy some "products" or get them donated and give them away as door prizes.

This method works very well. When there is cash money to be won people will pay! The small amount spent on the dinner and cash prizes will be nothing to what you will raise!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

pbrown118 is offline Officer 1st Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Hijack a shipment of Thin Mints and sell them for double at Weight Watchers.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAH

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    All the good smart ass comments have been taken.

Grants have always worked well for us. Just make sure you have someone competent write them. If the wording isn't "just so" you'll get denied.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    We started seizing the Johns cars in prostitution stings. We made about $350,000 for the city in the first year. They problem was they would not give us any of it. Typical.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2
    If you have a shooting range that is owned or property of your dept. You can sell memberships for X amount of dollars per year. Then let members shoot for $5 for up to 3 people all day. Non-members would be charged $15 per person for all day shooting.
    Great idea... I pay about $300 per year for memberships in a private range and a public indoor range, plus another $250++ per year for shooting match entry fees, depending on how many times per month I go.

I'd gladly switch to our local LE range, even though it's not as good, because it's closer. I and our Citizen's Police Academy Alumni group would also be glad to help out in maintainence, etc, but unfortunately it's a "forbidden zone" due to liability concerns - I've brought that up before

I think a monthly "Civilian vs PD" shooting match would also draw a lot of participants, especially if you advertised it in something like the NRA's magazines. I think they'd list it for free, actually - But you'd better do a LOT of practicing first - There's some civies out there that would put you in your place if you didn't practice for it

One way to reduce liability may be to sign the property over to a non-profit group, with the PD being granted a perpetual right to shoot there for $1 per year or something like that, and a perpetual right to buy it back for $1 at any time, to keep the non-profit from selling it out from under you. Of course the perfect org to deal with is your Citizen's Police Academy Alumni group, if you have one.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 05-14-06 at 04:36 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information