Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Have employers use of social network sites inhibited users?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 75.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • No Opinion

2 25.00%
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Public Employee Use Of Social Networking

It seems like I've noticed a decline in postings by people I know that are government/public employees on social networking sites, especially Facebook. Do you think that the advent of employers using social networking sites for hiring and disciplinary reasons has led to a decline in the use of such sites?

Thoughts?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I think it has declined. Unlike sites like this facebook shows your real name and all eyes are on us who work for the public. It is a shame that we have to watch what we do everwhere but it comes with the job.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

stillamarine is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I love posting on Facebook but I refuse to post on active cases at all. Rarely about work at all.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think it is a combination of employers using it for disciplinary action and hiring practices plus some employees finally wising up and realizing it's not a good idea to post anything related to work.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I also think it's a combination of things. Some folks just lose all common sense when it comes to the interwebz...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I think it's too early to tell. When Facebook first came out, people went all crazy and said stuff that they felt they could without consequence. As the consequences come about, we'll see things balance out.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by stillamarine View Post
    I love posting on Facebook but I refuse to post on active cases at all. Rarely about work at all.
    I post very few things about work, especially in more public forums or Facebook. You can figure it out if you see my Facebook, but it's mostly family & friends. I'm sure some don't realize what I do...

On my main other forum, it's no secret, but I don't tell a lot of war stories or anything like that.

Anything I do post about work, even here on the restricted side, is something I wouldn't have any major discomfort if the chief called me into his office and asked me to explain.

Actually, though, lots of forums are seeing a drop in posting and activity. It seems like there's been a shift more to Facebook/Google+/etc. and Twitter.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    At least two of my facebook friends are police officers. I wentto school with one of the officers.
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

Thread Information