Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Truck opinions?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Truck opinions?

Mr Ducky and I will soon be in the market for a small used pickup truck. I'm thinking along the lines of a Nissan something, as I've had wonderful reliability from our current Nissan. Four cylinder is preferable, but no more than six, and if it's a six it would have to have pretty decent gas mileage. Stick shift is ideal. It will be our spare vehicle and also used for small hauling - stuff that won't fit in the car, and on vacation for our camper. The camper is under 600 pounds, so it's really not that big of a deal to haul. It'll also have to be a few years old, as our budget won't accommodate anything resembling a larger price tag.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not nailed to the Nissan, it's more the reliability that is a must.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm sold on Toyota now, so Tacoma? Huge reliability but gas mileage will be better on something else. Just don't get a Colorado from Chevrolet.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Truck Opinions?

I just bought a Honda Accord a couple of months back and since that I have been paying more attention to the Honda line. Honda does make a Ridgeline. It would at least be worth checking out. I have a friend who is a mechanic and we talk about vehicle reliability from time to time. He has told me in the past that Hondas have a pretty darn good track record for reliability.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Do NOT reccomend a Dodge Dakota,Powerful lil truck,BUT youre lucky to get 18 miles a gallon.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I got a Nissan Frontier (2006) in January as my 20+ yo Ranger finally died. It a 6 cyl and I like it alot; however, the MPG is only around 15-18. I think the 4 cyl would be the better bet. I think the Nissan and Toyota trucks are a better deal in the long run as they still make the medium size truck since Ford and GM dropped the small line and went to full size only. The Dodge; a nice looking and logts of o[tions (6-8 cyl) but reliability is still the big ?????????
    Go with your budget and heart. Good luck

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Frontiers and Toyota trucks have solid reps for being good trucks... The ridgeline isn't a truck, its more like a oversized CRV with a small bed. I have a Dodge Ram, and love the power of the hemi. But the gas mileage is 14 MPG at best and its hardly small. The dakota's are also fairly solid, but again, terrible mileage. If your looking at cheap, MPG friendly, and reliable, and are ok with marginal towing and hauling ability, then stick with Nissan and Toyota's offerings.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I'm sold on Toyota now, so Tacoma? Huge reliability but gas mileage will be better on something else. Just don't get a Colorado from Chevrolet.
    Tacoma for the win.

I had a 2000 Extended cab and loved it. It was the picture of reliability, fuel milage was acceptable for a truck, and would handle tasks it probably shouldn't have for a truck of its size with ease.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I will say that Toyota is weaker in mpg due to reliability. The drive trains in their trucks are beefy as hell. More mass to move = strength not mpg. The safety ratings are also excellent.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information