Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

So, what's Monthly Property Tax then?

Having just returned from 3 weeks in AZ, we quite like the idea of buying a house there. Looking at some places, on-line, I see a monthly property tax of 5-600 dollars!! That seems like a lot of money to me. Can someone explain it to me?

thanks.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sure it's monthly? Property taxes are typically billed yearly, with the option to pay the first six months at due date, balance midyear.

Some places just have insane property taxes though. Others have little to non, but high sales and income, some have no income, some have no sales tax. Hmm, not sure if that last one is still true. Anyhow, there's a lot of variation in tax schemes and one has to be careful to inspect all the systems in place in a particular area.

Verified LEO
    It said monthly in the advertising blurb. I was looking at Cottonwood AZ. But if that is the monthly cost, just for tax, then I'll give up on the idea.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Must have been a nice house or someone was putting you on, the average income in that area isn't very high - nor should it be as the area is named after a softwood tree. We yanks are incredibly transparent in our encoding - harder the wood of the tree, earlier the neighborhood. Almost never find a Hickeryville except for small southern hamlets. Lots of Oakvilles. Also we had a tradition of assigning trees for streets and presidents for boulevards. Washington and Oak gets you to the courthouse in an amusing number of cities. Grover and Pine is always a suburb.

Cottonwood isn't a glamorous tree in these parts, a nuisance tree really good for wood pulp in the 1880s before distribution routes made pine the king of wood pulp - only a section that used to be five miles out of town was named for it. Might carry slightly different meaning in AZ. Anyhow, enough about presidents and trees.

Verified LEO
    Very interesting. Apparently it was named by soldiers at nearby Camp Verde, as it had a stand of Cottonwood trees there. It was one of the biggest moonshine brewers in the prohibition.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is there a link? Maybe someone here can figure out what they're supposed to mean. Either that or we can all have a laugh. Only thing I can see for that much "tax" per month would be monthly fees for a gated community.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Sure it's monthly? Property taxes are typically billed yearly, with the option to pay the first six months at due date, balance midyear.

Some places just have insane property taxes though. Others have little to non, but high sales and income, some have no income, some have no sales tax. Hmm, not sure if that last one is still true. Anyhow, there's a lot of variation in tax schemes and one has to be careful to inspect all the systems in place in a particular area.
    My property taxes are billed quarterly.

Trojan, perhaps they just broke the total down into monthly amounts so the buyer would be able to better estimate monthly expenses. Also, a total annual tax of $6000-$7200 might not be that unusual (depending on the property and the area). My annual property taxes are just under $5000.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    My annual property taxes are just under $5000.
    Mother of God that's high. Less than $2K for me a year.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Indeed it is. That's why many from NJ tend to move to PA.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    You're both screwed. Mine is about $100.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Mine are about 2,100, ANNUALLY. Not monthly.

The only property taxes around me that are $7,200 a year or more are industrial, retail, big ass mansions, humongous factory farms, etc. A standard residential home for taxes like that isn't worth it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wow, that does seem a bit ridiculous. Mine are around 1200 a year, and escrowed in to my mortgage. I never see it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mine are annually as well. I want to say around 1500-1600 bucks. Collected in escrow along with the insurance with my mortgage.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As Five-0 mentioned, they are typically included in your mortgage escrow. You pay them monthly, but your bank pays the county once, twice, or four times per year.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

GunmetalGray is offline At the reloading bench...
    Verified LEO
    Property tax for my current house ( 1200 sq/ft, .25 acre lot, suburb ) is about $450/yr. Property tax for the home we're currently purchasing ( assuming everything works out ) will be about $650/yr. House is 2,500 sq/ft, 5 acre lot, rural.

Now sales tax on the other hand...
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My old area was about $500-$1000.00 a month for property taxes for average homes. That's why no one can afford anything there.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    About 800 annually here for 3k sq feet on roughly 1/4 acre suburb lot.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Well I would have been a cash buyer, but guess I'll give up on that idea then.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Makes our council tax seem not that bad after all.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    And to think, property tax is one of the easier ones to figure out. Income tax is what gives us ulcers on April 15th.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information