• 1 Post By Jenna
  • 1 Post By Cornfed1100

Thread: Would it be appropriate.....

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Would it be appropriate.....

My Dad just passed away. He was a WWII Navy Vet. and he had a silver Naval ring that he bought in 1943 and wore everyday for the rest of his life. It has the Navy crest on the face and scroll work on the band. I am not a vet., but I'd like to honor my Dad by wearing his ring. Do you think this would be appropriate?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Absolutely.

Another idea (I plan on doing this for my dad for his retirement, so it was already in my head), is to have a gun engraved in honor of him. My dad was a firefighter early in life, a cop for the past few decades, a special deputy US marshal, and in the Coast Guard reserves. He has a Ruger service Six that he bought as a part time patrolman with a wife and two kids, back when he first put on a badge. Bought it because it was the cheapest gun he could find that was stil reliable enough to bet his life on. It's still his nighstand gun.

Anyways, to make a short story an hour and a half, I plan on taking that Ruger and having it engraved, putting the FD cross, PD badge, coastie logo, and US marshals badge in the engraving. I know it would ruin the "ring" part of the ring, but if you feel uncomfortable wearing it, perhaps you can do up a gun and have the face implanted in a set of fancy wood grips.
    Jenna likes this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Wear it , Keith. If someone asks if you were in the Navy then you have a perfect opportunity to brag about you dad and I don't think any vet , Navy (me) or otherwise would begrudge you the chance to tell how your Dad help save the whole damn world.
    Ducky, keith720, Jenna and 1 others like this.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    keith-I see NO problem with doing this. This is personal; between you & your dad. It don't matter what anyone else thinks.

I've always carried/worn something of my dad's when working. I've carried his S&W mdl 66; I've been known to carry his Colt Detective Special; I have a set of his cuffs that I carry daily.
    Jenna and Captain America like this.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    FWIW, I think it's a helluva fine way to honor your dad and his service to our country.

Wear it!

keith720, Jenna, pac201 and 1 others like this.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What a beautiful way to symbolize your carrying on of his sheepdog legacy....
    pac201 likes this.

Cornfed1100 is offline Officer First Class
    Wear it with pride.

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.
    Broke Hoss likes this.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Yep!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Your dad would be proud, wear the ring.

I found my dad's Gruen Pan American Airways Navigator/Pilot's watch. They were provided to aircrews flying the Pacific during WW-II. I wear it, it's a family thing.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Wear it with honor to honor a great man and his legacy...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Hoss View Post
    keith-I see NO problem with doing this. This is personal; between you & your dad. It don't matter what anyone else thinks.

I've always carried/worn something of my dad's when working. I've carried his S&W mdl 66; I've been known to carry his Colt Detective Special; I have a set of his cuffs that I carry daily.
    I carry my dad's first set of handcuffs he ever had as a cop every shift. They're the first pair I grab, and they're easy to ID as mine after a large arrest since they're a different brand than the issued ones, and they have my last name engraved on them frmo when my dad carved it on when he carried them.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yes.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information