Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

Question U.S. marshal dies in shootout with police

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- A deputy U.S. marshal was killed in a shootout with police officers who had stopped the agent for driving erratically early Sunday, authorities said.

Mary Fisher, 46, refused to stop when officers tried to pull her over and led the officers to her home around 6 a.m., according to Sgt. Vince Higgins, a police spokesman.

When the officers told her to get out of the car, she opened her door, pulled out a gun and started shooting at them, Higgins said.

Officer Patrick Taylor, 34, was shot in the leg. He was taken to a hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

The other officer, whose name has not been released, was unharmed.

Both officers have been relieved of duty while the investigation continues.

Fisher was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said they could not say how many times she was shot.

Fisher had been in Memphis for several years and began her career as a deputy marshal in the early 1990s, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

"Nobody saw this coming. No, there's no prior history that I'm aware of that would have brought this on," said David Jolley, a U.S. Marshals spokesman.

Sheriff's deputies went to Fisher's home just before 10 p.m. Saturday after a woman there dialed 911 and hung up.

Fisher was gone by the time they arrived, but a work associate at the house told deputies Fisher was delusional and had driven away, according to a joint statement from the sheriff's office and police.

Her car was spotted a few hours later driving recklessly near a crash scene police were investigating, authorities said.

The officers called for assistance, and Taylor and the other officer responded.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/15/mar....ap/index.html
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    Stress?
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    very sad story all round...

There are times like this, i'm glad most people don't have access to firearms in the UK...
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Safety, as a deputy US Marshal, she wasn't just a member of the general public and would have had access to weapons anyhow. Sadly, it sounds like something made her snap.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Makes my top five list for one of the worst things I would ever have to do.....shoot a fellow cop. Feel bad for all three and their families....

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Damn, to much stress build up and no where to releave it. Sad story for all.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    That sucks.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Signal_W Guest
    The story is that she was going through some type of relationship problems, not sure how true. The officer who was shot used to work at my precinct. I knew of him, but we didn't talk, we were on different shifts. I know he had knee surgery recently and went to Northeast Precinct to slow down. And of course he was hit below the knee. He is doing fine and will be out the hospital soon.

Memphis Cops Kill Deputy Marshal
    Cordova shootout follows call to 911 and erratic driving

By Chris Conley
    May 15, 2006

A deputy U.S. marshal, who had shown recent signs of erratic behavior, was killed in a shootout with Memphis police in the driveway of her Cordova home early Sunday. Mary Fisher, who was assigned to the Emergency Management Task Force, was dead of gunshot wounds when paramedics arrived at her home at 1143 Palmina Cove about 6:30 a.m.

Memphis Police officer Patrick Taylor, 34, was shot in the leg and remained in stable condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis Sunday afternoon. A second officer involved in the shooting was not injured. Authorities did not identify the second officer.

Both Taylor and the other Memphis officer were routinely relieved of duty with pay pending further examination of the shooting.

"This is very distressing," said U.S. Marshal David Jolley. "Most of the deputies (in West Tennessee office) knew her well. ... It came out of left field on us," he said.

He said Fisher, 46, began working in the Memphis office in the early 1990s but had since been assigned to the task force, which is associated with Homeland Security.

Fisher lived alone at the Palmina address, but sometimes had a daughter with her, neighbors said.

The new brick home is in the Cordova Club area near Germantown and Macon, and is not part of the city of Memphis.

Investigators could not say whether the shooting was related to Mother's Day, but said a domestic dispute appears to have precipitated her actions.

The shooting came after eight hours of searching for Fisher, Shelby County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Shular said.

About 10 p.m., a woman dialed 911 from Fisher's home, but hung up before speaking to dispatchers.

When sheriff's deputies went to the home, they met with a co-worker, another deputy U.S. marshal who told them Fisher was suffering from delusions and had driven off in her white BMW.

A description of her vehicle was broadcast to all local law enforcement agencies.

About 6 a.m., two Memphis Police officers working a wreck at Germantown and Macon noticed a white BMW moving erratically, driving around them and appearing to taunt them.

The officers called for another squad car to follow the BMW. The driver refused to stop, and led the officers to the driveway at 1143 Palmina.

The officers ordered her from the car, Shular said.

At first there was no response, then the driver leaned out, got out of the car, and started shooting.

Police could not say how many shots were fired in the exchange, but the BMW was riddled with bullet holes, with both front windows pierced several times.

Crime scene detectives gathered numerous slugs and other evidence from the driveway, including a woman's sandal.

One spent round was retrieved from the tee off box at a golf course across the street.

Another bullet hit the downspout of a house down the street.

Deputies obtained a warrant and searched the house Sunday. As a precaution, bomb experts were called in to check for explosives, but found none.

"It's pretty unusual for this area," said neighbor Madeline Lee. "In eight years this is the first time anyone has been killed."

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That article makes me think maybe it was a suicide by cop.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Signal_W Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky

Thats what I have heard many people suggest

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Sometimes people just go nuts for unknown reasons.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety1st
    very sad story all round...

There are times like this, i'm glad most people don't have access to firearms in the UK...
    Sorry, but she wasn't most people. If the situation would have happened in th UK she still would've been armed. I don't want to turn this into a pissing match but don't you feel sorry for the good people there when a firearm could've saved their life?

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Like we don't have enough to worry about!! One of our own????!!!!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by mxwelch
    Sorry, but she wasn't most people. If the situation would have happened in th UK she still would've been armed. I don't want to turn this into a pissing match but don't you feel sorry for the good people there when a firearm could've saved their life?
    Don't think it would have hardly anyone is allowed to carry off duty.

FishTail Guest
    If she was even armed here in the first place. Not that many cops here carry on duty, let alone off.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Somehow I don't think she was concerned about her duty status when she opened fire.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    i agree.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Maybe I'm cold hearted but in my book, when you start shooting on duty uniformed police officers who are in the lawful performance of their duties, you don't get my sympathy. None. Most us us have gone through a tough time or two in our lives. Did we react that way & start shooting fellow officers? I have responded to too many scenes where cops have ben shot. I'll save my concern for the injured officer & his family.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Agreed, Stan.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I agree as well. Even if she hadn't shot at them and only intended to have them kill her by pointing her weapon at them, I still feel it was a selfish move. The officers who killed her now have to deal with that the rest of their lives. Most officers, even in a clean shoot on a bad guy, don't deal well with having killed someone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information