Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

License plate scanners could track religious practices, political activities, and affairs

There are some uses of automatic license-plate readers that most people would agree are relatively unobjectionable looking for cars that fled crime scenes or have been stolen, for example. The real problem is that when the government stores that information, it is not trying to solve an ongoing crime it is building a database. These databases can quickly fill up with all sorts of details about how people lead their lives. By piecing together the locations of a particular license plate over time, the government may be able to determine if someone goes to church, synagogue or mosque regularly; whether they go to meetings of a particular political group; whether they participate in protests; or even if they are having an affair.

creolecop is offline Really? and I'm suppose to believe that??
    Verified LEO
    Funny that Time would be writing this article. I'm not 100% sure but almost........isn't Time owned by Saudi Arabia or one of the Middle east countries?

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Could it be used that way? Yeah, sure. So could records from Speed Pass systems, or subway fare cards...

It's a mountain of data to deal with. At a guess, an LPR system in a reasonably populated area read something on the order of several hundred to several thousand plates, depending on the officer's patrol habits.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I drive a LPR car almost every shift.

On a good day when I have time to drive through apartment complex lots, I'll run 1500 plates. On a busy call night, maybe a couple hundred.

The ACLU is putting out open records request about this very same nonsense.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    All the motorway patrol cars are fitted with these devices. There are fixed camera positions doing the same along the road networks and cities.
    The amount of information gathered is vast. You can't wok out someones religion or if they are going to a particular building.
    We have to turn off most of the databases so that they can be used practically.
    But then the fact s often get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information